Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realhousewifeofnj

How am I doing so far with my budget - large kitchen!

Hello all,

We had a rather unfortunate flood in our home in the beginning of the year. The upside is I get to redo my 15 year old kitchen. Just curious how my numbers are stacking up compared to others here. This is in Southern NJ outside of Philadelphia. The home's market value is in the mid $700 - 800K range.

Cabinets: $27,000 Kraftmaid Cherry Montclair Square in Kaffe stain with 48" uppers - 80 linear feet of cabinets. Many pullouts, glass doors, wood chimney hood, furniture legs on cabinets, etc.

Appliances: $21,000 Viking Double Oven, Viking cooktop, Viking microwave, Sub Zero French Door refrigerator, Sub Zero Beverage Center refrigerator, Thermador Built in Coffee maker,

Cabinet Hardware: $1000
Granite: $4400 for River White
Lighting: $2000 (Savoy house)
Faucet and Sink: $1000 (Kohler Bakersfield and Moen Woodmere)
Backsplash: $2500
Installation labor: $5000

So right now we are at $63,000 which is under this magic 10% of the house value I keep hearing about. However, we did not have to replace the floors (tile), our installation labor is relatively cheap and we are not replacing our dishwasher (Fisher Paykel dishdrawers). So adding those things in I think we would be around $75,000 - $80K

In two more weeks my cabinets will be here! Can't wait!

Comments (15)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Unless that's your brother working for 5K to install a large complex kitchen, I'd be really really worried about that figure. I'd expect 3x that at a minimum to deal with the demo, appliances and cabinets. Plus, you don't have any electrical or plumbing quotes, and you will need to do some things with that, even in a relatively new home.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert but it seems like a lot of kitchen for the money. I am just finishing a much smaller kitchen with only one appliance replaced (cooktop, $1300) and our cost was about $27K.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i'm up over 65K. with demo, floor, and plumbing and electric work. and all new appliances, samsung fridge, thermador 6 burner range, additional 30 inch electric oven, sharp microwave drawer, thermador dishwasher. 40 ikea cabinets and ~65 sf of granite. wicked white and honed absolute black. tile backsplash.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our contractor is technically not related to us but we consider him to be part of the family. He has worked for us for many years, hence the "deal" on the install price. We did shop the install price out. Lowes installers quoted us $10,000 and two other independent contractors $5800 and $9900 respectively. Our contractors price includes demo (although we are paying for the dumpster and truthfully my husband helps him quite a bit since he doesn't like to stand by idle). There are no layout, electrical or plumbing, changes. But yes, he will hook up our new appliances, electrical, sink, etc. He built a 25 ft. bar / entertainment kitchen for our basement for us last summer. His work is impeccable.
    Yay! I am glad I am on the right track. My hubby thinks the prices are mind boggling when you add it up so I am going to show this to him. Thanks all!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I couldn't do a 5K labor kitchen here in the cheapest labor market that exists. I'd have to either suspect that this tradesmand wasn't licensed and insured, or wasn't licensed and insured and still charged the same thing he did in 1965.

• magsnj
    9 years ago

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that to have a Viking stove, you needed to have the floor reinforced? If you already had a similar stove there I guess it wouldn't matter. I echo everyone else wondering how that 5k could include electrical and plumbing.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mag, I wrote a Viking cooktop and Viking double ovens, not a Viking Range. Yes we are very blessed that our contractor is a close personal friend. We have done many favors for him work and personal wise which probably explains his pricing. What is funny though is the next highest quote was only $800 more than his and that was also for a legitimate contractor. Maybe it's because we are in South Jersey in a suburb of Philly, our prices are nothing like North Jersey.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Just as a regular homeowner, I'm amazed with your budget. Clearly you are doing well on labor. In my own case (the last two kitchens), I found that electrical was most likely to be a budget surprise. It is also someplace where you don't want to take shortcuts. I think your budget for appliances is on the high side, relative to the overall budget, based on what's reported as averages here and elsewhere (my last one was as well). BTW, I did not see ventilation reported -- is this being repurposed?

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gooster, Our appliance budget is high... it kind of snowballed. We were originally going to keep some of the appliances since they work perfectly (15 years old, most are Whirlpool Gold). When we started looking into things the Viking Cooktop and double oven wasn't that much more, the Sub Zero beverage center wasn't that much more, etc so we decided to get new appliances.The real budget buster was the Sub Zero French Door refrigerator which is about $10K. We have a 1 year old counter depth French door Samsung fridge and we weren't planning to replace it. However I did not realize these larger refrigerators (36" x 84") require different cabinetry so we started designing it to fit the Sub Zero (for the future) and then just decided to replace the Samsung and bite the bullet. (We have a 2nd kitchen in our basement that we will use the fridge in). My husband is still boggled by the $10K fridge, lol. He keeps asking what else it does besides keep food cold, lol.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I think your are doing really good.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm paying close in price for River White granite and my kitchen is TINY...so I'm jealous ;) . Our floors and counters were the big ticket items in our reno. Dh is doing electrical thank goodness, but now I see how it could seriously add up.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Feisty, Good luck! I can't wait to see your pictures. I love River White. What kind of cabinets are you doing?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm doing IKEA boxes with solid oak slab fronts grey-stained with Rubio Monocoat Oil. I think! We are DIYing a lot. I can't wait to see my counters installed next week :)

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Feisty, That sounds gorgeous! I absolutely love grey cabinets, modern and traditional at the same time. Kraftmaid just came out with a new line of grey cabinets and I was drooling over the display. Can't wait to see!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love the grey cab look too. But I find that River White has very strong green/beige undertones. Many ready-made greys are too blue for River White and clash a bit. That's partly why I'm DIYing the finish.

Your cabinets will look fantastic with River White.