Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

New Cabinet Doors

caseykees
9 years ago

I ordered 2 new cabinet doors from Barker Door. Shaker, 1/2" overlay, with new Blum Hinges. I only ordered 2 for now, to make sure that I ordered them correctly.

My question is, how much of a gap should there be on the side of the door with the hinges to the cabinet box? I have adjusted the hinges so that the door opens and closes without hitting the box. There is a gap of about a 1/4". Not sure if that is normal, if I have more adjusting to do or if I ordered the doors incorrectly.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Overlay cabinets vary, actually, just because of the hinges. The ones you've ordered, probably adjust up, down, side to side, and in and out. I'd adjust the in and out as far in as you can, without it impeding the door.

Nice doors!

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

they do adjust just like you said. I feel I have adjusted them as much as i could. in all directions. I just didn't know if it should lay flat against the cabinet. My old doors were not like this and had the visible hinges. This type of door and hinge are new to me. But way easier to install!

And thank you! I love them and can't wait to order the rest! It is a completely new look for us! Best I could do without getting new cabinets which we couldn't afford. LOL

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

caseykees:

Place a straightedge against the doors, then against the cabinet styles. If there is no bowing, your cabinets are probably "racked" or pulled out of square when they were installed.

Cabinets are square and flat and must be mounted plumb and level. Walls are not. Walls must be brought to cabinets with shims. Covering shims is a separate problem, but not insurmountable.

Place a level on your cabinet styles and bottoms and let us know what's going on.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

With the Euro hinge they will not lay flat, should be approx 1/8" space between the back of the door and the face of the cabinet on the hinge side....on the handle side install a door bumper the same thickness as your gap

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Yes, with the Euro hinge, you need a little room for the door to move into when you open it.

I think they're great and you're going to love them. Just step back and look at the big picture. :)

Of course, Trebruchet is correct in the wall situation. Always make your cabinets install as perfect as you can, because any issues just amplify.

This from the woman who stands on the countertop, stacks her cabinets on drywall buckets and shims, presses her head against the ceiling and screws in her cabinets. If that isn't innovative, I don't know what is!! Hopefully, you won't be doing the same thing.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

casey - I have no advice re the gap but your door looks great! Are you painting your cabinets and replacing all the doors?

I'm going through the decision making process now on whether to just paint my cabinets, replace the doors (either just the uppers with arches or all of them to change the style) and paint the cabinets, or just replace all cabinets. I've looked at Barker doors and really like a few of their styles if I replace all doors.

Did you order the solid wood or paint ready door? Prefinished or did you paint them yourself?

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did put a level on them and they are level. I figured they would be because they are not flush to the soffit in some spots as I discovered when I removed the molding that was there.

I am just repainting the existing boxes and replacing the doors. My old doors are just slab style with the regular style visible hinges. These new doors were a lot easier to hang!! And I wanted to update our look! I got them from Barker Door. They are Alder, with mdf Inset panel, paint grade.

I am having trouble painting everything. LOL Tried painting with BM Waterbourne Satin Impervo in White Dove. It was coming off too yellow for my tastes as well as I didn't like the sheen. And no matter what I did, brush strokes. I have now switched to BM Aura in Chantilly Lace in Eggshell (I know, not a finish recommended for cabinets!) and using a roller. I like them a whole lot better now. I am reserving whether or not I will coat them with polyacrylic. However, I got BBQ sauce on one of the doors when it was sitting on my dining room table. It wiped right off even though it sat there for about 5 minutes and left no stain so I am leaning toward no poly at this time! LOL My lower cabs are going to be painted a dark blue/gray. I just can't wait till I have the $$ to order some more doors! LOL

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm so glad you're happy with them. The 2 - tone colors sound lovely.

I hope you post pictures when you're done. I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after. Might help me make a decision on replacing doors vs keeping what I have or getting new cabinets.