Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb1176_gw

What Soap in a Soap Dispenser?

jb1176
15 years ago

Perhaps a stupid question but do most people put hand soap or liquid dish soap in a soap dispenser? Is there a brand of soap that can be used for both purposes? I think we'd use the hand soap more often than dish soap because almost everything goes in the dishwasher anyway and seldom are we hand washing anything except broiler pans or fine china or crystal.

Comments (13)

• xine
    15 years ago

Hand soap! We buy in bulk (those LARGE containers of Soft Soap Milk and Honey) and fill up the kitchen and both bath's containers. We wash our hands more times per day than we do the dishes. Since I have a 17 month old I tend to wash her sippy cups and plastic ware by hand once per day, but before we had a kid we only did dishes by hand a few times a week, which meant that it was very easy to just open the cabinet and get out the dish soap.

I do find it odd though that guests will come into the kitchen to do something (usually family members) and will get out the dish soap from the cabinet and then wash their hands, without realizing there's a dispenser right there built in. Oh well! I don't encourage them to wash there hands there anyway!

Personally, I like to use dish soap for dishes and a moisturizing hand soap for hands. Each seems to work best for its intended purpose, though I suppose you could cross use.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I use dish soap most are mild enough to wash your hands like Palmolive or something. My kids are always washing their hands in the kitchen. For some reason they hate doing it in the guest bath right around the corner.

• rachelle_g
    15 years ago

ditto what mlraff53 says. It does double duty for me.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I use dish soap in my clean-up sink's dispenser and hand soap in the dispenser at my prep sink. I figured the location of the prep sink lent itself more to hand washing, and nobody is going to wash dishes over there, so it made sense. Someone can use dish soap if they decide to wash their hands at the clean-up sink (and I have done this myself), but it doesn't happen often.

I use Dawn concentrated dish soap and I had to dilute it a bit for the dispenser to squirt it properly. I use regular Soft Soap for the other dispenser, and it works fine like it is. Both dispensers have a NeverMT.

• big_changes
    15 years ago

Just another thought-- I have a soap dispenser next to my sink with Dr. Bronner's soap, really diluted. I use it for handwashing, and I also clean my granite with it-- just wash with a sponge and dry it off with a dish towel-- it is never streaky... and as a plus you can clean fruits and veggies with it-- I use the peppermint kind, and after I've washed the strawberries, I can always tell when the soap is rinsed off, because the scent of mint is gone. It's an all natural product-- my husband calls it "the hippie soap".

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Palmolive original (or Ultra, original scent?) here.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

big changes--thanks for the tip. I love Dr. Bronner's soap but I find it is a little too thick for our soap dispenser (and for the never mt) and tends to gel up often--especially during colder weather. I'll try diluting.

Another hand soap fan here--in dispensers at our main sink and prep sink. I tend to wash my hands a lot while cooking or making lunches and I like to encourage everyone else to wash their hands by making it as easy as possible. Using a soap that works double duty makes sense but I tend to have my favorite hand soaps and dish soaps.

• mygar
    15 years ago

Dish soap. It's good for hands and dishes.

• rebccah990
    15 years ago

Palmolive, I like the scent too.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Big Changes, Thanks for the suggestion. Where can you buy that soap? I live in Cal. Maybe Whole Foods?

• jb1176
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Big Changes,

I found Dr. Bonner's soap on an Internet site and will consider ordering it. However, I need advice about how much to dilute it so that it will work in a standard countertop soap dispenser or the Never MT. Can you advise how much to dilute the product?

We only have one sink in the kitchen so I guess it is either Palmolive or Dr. Bonner. Is Palmolive ok to use to clean granite?

Thanks,
    jb

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Our kitchen isn't done yet, but we're putting hand soap in the dispensers at both the prep & main sink.

I considered putting the dish soap in the dispenser, but I like to be able to squirt my dish soap at different places as needed. If it's in the dispenser the only place to put it is either in the sink where it "falls" or on the edge of pans/dishes as far in as the spout sticks out (I hope this made sense!)

As to using dish soap for both...I find that even Palmolive is too harsh for regular hand washing...maybe if you only did it once or twice a day, but I wash my hands many more times a day. IMO, the "hand soap" label on the Palmolive (yes, we use that brand) refers to "hand dish washing" as opposed to "machine dish washing"...despite "Madge"! ("you're soaking in it!")

• nuccia
    15 years ago

At a previous house I put two SDs in, but found I was basically only using the dish soap. I only put in one in my new house and it is working fine. Two dispensers made for too much countertop clutter.