Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinjos

Freaking out about my new backsplash

cinjos
9 years ago

It's way too busy with the granite! Can not bear to think of tearing it out. It was only grouted this morning, so it should lighten up a bit and then the lines won't be so noticeable.

What do you think?

This post was edited by Cinjos on Sun, May 18, 14 at 15:15

Comments (149)

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gray is going to make the grout lines stick out & give you a busier look. I think VERY light gray would look ok, but you don't want the same mistake again with a busy look. I would go with white or VERY light gray.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Agree with teachertile. I love grey grout with white subways but would stick to a VERY light grey or go with grout that matches the tile. I lean towards matching in your particular case. If you do a google search with "white subway tiles grey grout gardenweb" as the search terms, you will find lots of examples of subways with grey grout.

Good luck! Looking forward to your "after" pics.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Yay for Cinjos!!!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would go white but not stark white.

I love subways. Had them in cobalt blue as a wainscot treatment done by the PO nearly 30 years ago and loved them. Love the white I have now for BS. If you love them, you probably always will and it's a good thing.

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also wanted to say that having my kitchen look like every other kitchen on here would be a huge compliment! Sort of like telling me that I look like everyone else, and everyone else looks like Julia Roberts. I'll take it!

:)

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did it! Beautiful and simple. Loved it from minute one. So very happy - thank you all!!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I hope you found a way to salvage that unique tile to use somewhere else.
    Can't wait to see pictures of the new BS
    Congrats!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Pictures please!

• blondelle
    9 years ago

If the backsplash is stone you might be able to darken it by adding several coats of ebony Briwax as shown. Minwax also makes a white wash you might be able to use to lighten it. Both looks will tone the stone down so it doesn't compete so much with your gorgeous countertop.

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blondelle - that is so cool! I didn't know you could do that. We did go ahead and put up the subway tile, so it's too late to try your suggestion. Thanks so much for taking the time to make those pictures to help me see some other options.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

Pics Please!!!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I don't think I would do gray grout unless it was so pale you couldn't even tell it was gray.. don't need another design "accent" in the mix. (IMO)… I love your new choice. It's a classic and the granite is the star! Your cabinet style is very compatible with subway. I like the simplicity of what you're up to now.

I agree that the first one was a boo boo. We all make them, you're on the right track now, cruise control all the way! Enjoy your new kitchen!!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Cinjos, I am so happy for you that you solved the problem as your gorgeous granite should be the star! I can't wait for your kitchen reveal.

• blondelle
    9 years ago

Happy to try and help! The subway tile would be my first choice, and that would look the best. There was no guarantee what i suggested would come out like the photo so what you did was the right choice. The additional cost will soon be forgotten as you enjoy your gorgeous new kitchen.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Cinjos, can you post a new pic? Congrats on the new splash.

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go..a slightly different spot. We went with "bone" for the grout. It's a greige and picks up the counter colours well. I think I might have preferred a teeny bit more contrast, but really happy with the result.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic cinjos! You did a great job. Nice that you're so happy now. Time to enjoy it!

• romy718
    9 years ago

It is perfect-truly! It looks great with your beautiful countertops.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Great improvement. Well done!

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

What a great resolution! Love the collective wisdom of GW!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Cinjos, it looks utterly fantastic. I like your grout color. Like you, at first I wished I'd gone with a slightly darker grout color, but not anymore. You done good!!!

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. The perfect choice with your granite !

• bpollen
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Perfect! I agree that the original BS had to go. Your countertops are the star and focal point! The white subway is perfect, and I especially love the color of grout you chose. It wouldn't have occurred to me to use that color grout, but it's true that it picks up color from the counter and ties it all in. The tile is interesting, a subtle pattern, adds interest, is so pretty, but doesn't compete with your gorgeous countertop.

Congratulations on your gorgeous new kitchen!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I LOVE it. So happy for you : )) Whew, I bet that felt good!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Looks great! I was worrying a little because of how quickly you were making decisions but this is spot on.

• blondelle
    9 years ago

THAT GROUT IS PERFECT! A darker grout color and you would again have a pattern fighting with the pattern and movement in the granite. This works much better. Enjoy your gorgeous new kitchen!

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

The new tile looks great!

I have to say that I find the previous version strangely compelling. It has a animal quality --snake skin and fur pelt. Or an artistic interpretation of that by Klimt.

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, again, everyone! onedogedie - you're right about the snake skin... that's just what I didn't like about it!

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

And that is exactly why plain ol subway tiles are so popular. Beautiful!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Wow, you guys are fast! It looks wonderful. I do like that other tile in a different setting, though, but this really lets the counter top shine.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

YES!!!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

The new backsplash is perfect! It is classy especially with the Bone Grout and makes your gorgeous granite counter the star! Thanks for sharing.

• Etera
    9 years ago

Wait am I missing something that looks like a completely different kitchen.

• ikeltz
    9 years ago

Cinjos that is absolutely lovely!! I love the subway tile and now your granite is the star! What a difference. I know you struggled with the options, but you did it!! Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Yes, agree, totally different kitchen! Beautiful amd professional looking. Timeless, classic, elegant. Excellent choice!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Awesome! It looks beautiful. Brings tears to my eyes, lol. Am so glad you took the plunge and can now appreciate all you put into it!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Sweet! Enjoy that beautiful kitchen with your new backsplash!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The subway tiles are perfect! I am so happy for you and the great new bs. Congratulations!

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

I love it!!! I am happy that you chose the subway. Your granite is stunning and the white subway lets it be the star.

Enjoy!

• blackchamois
    9 years ago

Looks great! What brand and color are the subways? I thought I read Daltile somewhere but didn't see the color mentioned. Thank you!

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. So glad you are happy and will feel peaceful each time you enter your beautiful kitchen.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

So lovely now! I am happy for you!

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BlackChamois - The tiles are Olympia tiles - Colour and Dimension Collection - Warm White (bright)

Can't wait to show you all more pics when it's done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympia Tile Colour Dimension Collection

• onedogedie
    9 years ago
  • cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Onedogedie - Woa. That looks like my original backsplash's long lost cousin! Not a fan, but hopefully the owner is happy!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Yay, Cinjos, it looks beautiful! You can breathe now! :D

• millifiori
    9 years ago

I love the slightly different coloration of your tile and grout. What company makes the bone grout that you used? I have creamy white subway tiles (Emser: classica white) and Astoria granite and bone grout is a contender. I am looking at Fusion Pro whose colors are the same as Polyblend, Prism, and CEG.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

The new tile looks amazing! I was going to say that maybe once you got all your stuff in your kitchen then the busy back splash wouldn't be that "busy" anymore. Heck I have so much stuff on my counters, you wouldn't even see the back splash! HAHA! But, now that you changed it, it really does look wonderful! You have to be careful not to have too many different things going on in one room.

• emma
    9 years ago

I agree it's to busy. I would notice it because I keep my counter tops clear of every thing except a special red canister set, a matching plate in a stand and a turn table with a tea set on it.

• cinjos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

millifori - I'm sorry - I don't know the grout details. I chose the grout from a sheet of samples that the contractor showed me. Very happy with the choice.