Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

KD and cabinet experts-help with cabinet issues

ardcp
9 years ago

i ordered medallion silverline lancaster cabinets. my kd has been very responsive and great so this is solely a manufacturer issue.
the pic is of the newest replacement cab(the other box had veneer cracks and a chunk missing from the particle board bottom frame) this flush veneer side has some weird sticky bumpy spots/streaks that my kd came to see in my other cabs. she thinks it is glue. i have these spots on 3 of the flush finished ends and on the bottom face frames that thankfully are covered by the doors. at this point, i pretty much feel like crying in frustration:( are these spots of gunk going to cause veneer problems in the future? is this a big deal?
i asked my kd about warranty on the veneer and of course there is the humidity proviso. how the heck would i prove or know if my house's humidity is between 30-50 percent! it sounds like an out for the manufacturer. does medallion stand by their cabs long term?
thanks all in advance!

Comments (21)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Do you have a clearer pic? All that I seem to be seeing is some variation in the veneer's wood grain.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic. Hopefully it's better. It is really hard to get a pic if the glue streak. The blotch low on the left of the pic where cab meets wall is one of the sticky spots. It has a hazy film to it and feels rough/ scratchy

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

What is the coating? Does it look like orange peel?

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks hazy( like if milk dried ) and feels sticky. There are random spots of it on other cabs too . One spot feels like crackle paint kind of. It is scratchy. My KD is sending her husband to look at it tomorrow but I am frustrated because this is the replacement cab.? every time a wall cab comes down and another goes up, I worry about the granite being damaged! I want to just move on but I don't know if that will end up being a bad decision

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Looking at that, I wouldn't expect that to be glue. Cabinet companies use pre-veneered plywood, and don't generally apply their own veneer. It almost looks as though they had a newbie operating the clearcoat spray gun. Some makers still use humans to do that, and some use machines. Not sure which does Medallion, because I don't carry them. But, I'd bet that's the problem. Either the machine was out of calibration, or the human was. If that actually is the problem, a bit of sanding on site and a new clearcoat could probably fix it fine. If they have a tech that does that sort of thing. Or, another replacement cabinet.

I wouldn't be too disheartened about this, even though it is annoying as heck to you. The company WILL stand behind their products, and it sounds as though the KD is also. Some companies just go through a rough patch every now and then when there's a changeover in method or personnel at the factory. That's just speculation on my part, but Medallion has a pretty good rep. Stay on top of them for a resolution, but don't sweat it either. Buy a bottle of wine and don't share!

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Would have to see in person to say what is the cause but matters not.
    Description is enough- it isn't right.
    Hunch is improperly mixed catalyst and varnish or possible contamination of the finish. Doesn't matter what, the finish should not be milky, rough, or gummy-No matter what budget.
    Just saw LWO's comment. I would replace it and not have it done on site.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Thu, May 15, 14 at 17:02

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lwo- thanks for telling me about the overspray. i thought it was glue because of the stickiness as did my kd. the problem is that these spots are randomly placed on 4 different cabs. with the other spots i have moved on and learned not to look too hard but this is in a noticeable spot and just put up today. it took over a month to get this replacement so if you are right about a newbie running the machines, they are still having difficulties. at this point, i am tired of getting replacements so if you think medallion will stand behind any future veneer problems in this area, i will probably just call it a day.
    jakuvall- glad to see an experienced kd tell me i should have a good finish even in my price range:) it is in the back of my mind that, hey, this is what you get for going lowest level of a manufacturer! i think what annoys me the most is most of the spots are on the flush finished ends that i paid more for!

• User
    9 years ago

Someone in quality control isn't doing their job. Those could possibly be ''touched up'' on site, but, I'd want them replaced. Or, another alternative would be if the factory would send a (free) door end kit to cover the exposed end. That does add 3/4" to the design for those areas that would be covered, so that would have to work in the design.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hollysprings- i thought of the decorative end too as i would rather not have another replacement but didn't know if any company would actually do that. it wouldn't work for the lower cab as the granite is already installed but it would work for the uppers.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

I'd be scratching those spots with a finger nail to make sure before settling. I realize replacements are a headache but they're a lot easier now than later.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jakuval- we have scratched the spots with a nail gently. i have rubbed gently with a microfiber cloth as well. what does it mean that it doesn't come off? the gentle rubbing has made the spots less sticky but it it still there.

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

I'm really sorry you're having problems. Your second photo shows the whitish areas pretty well, as well as a rough finish on the right edge area. Not good.

I'd encourage you to send them back until Medallion gets this right. You have worked hard on this kitchen and Medallion warranties against production defects.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

So sad when we hear customers apologizing for these sorts of things. Hope you get things resolved this time around.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Please hang in there and get the quality you've paid for. It may be annoying waiting (I am in the same boat) but it is the right thing. Also, do I see a chip all the way to the left along the wall?

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbtrix- i noticed that chip in the pic too! i didn't notice it when looking straight on. these cabs have been very disappointing and it makes me mad that i upgraded to the finished ends so they would look pretty, what a joke!
    i showed my kd the other spots before the granite went in and she didn't think medallion would replace them for what she thought was glue spots. she had already contacted her medallion rep so maybe that particular medallion rep isn't being helpful? i did so much research before finally decided that medallion would be the best choice in my price range and i know that other kds have said that medallion's finishes are very nice. not so much on mine!
    the newest pic is the spots on the other finished side of the same cabinet run so 2 different finished ends with these weird spots. this location is hidden by the curtain on the slider but it's sad that i am thankful for the curtain that hides part of my new cabinet!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Has the Medallion rep actually been out to view this in person? Or at least scheduled a time to do so? I realize that he may not be based close to your city and have to do a lot of traveling on a schedule that might not afford him the flexibility to just come out and view the issues immediately, but he should be in touch with the KD and they both should be offering to make this right. Are your pictures at least being forwarded to the plant for their quality control supervisor to take a look?

Things can't usually happen immediately, because companies only make cabinets to order when they have a PO, but they should be fast tracking you a solution of some sort. That might be a 3 week out type of fast track since cabinets cannot be shipped UPS, but they should have some sort of resolution from the company to present to you by now.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lwo- i don't know what has been passed on. i do know that my kd talked to her rep about the box damage but previously the spots were thought to be glue and would come off. i do know that a rep has not be scheduled to come to my house. the owner (husband of the kd) just came by with acetone to try to get the spots off. some goop came off but there is still marks left on the finish. he said he is going to call their medallion rep and try to get them to do some decorative end panels. hopefully medallion agrees. he also said they have installed 5 medallion kitchens in the last 2 months and mine seems to be the only one with problems! great, my house is cursed!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

The finisher didn't know how to finish. It looks to me like the surface was not properly prepared before it was sprayed. That would account for the hazy spot and the roughness. The coating can't level out because of contamination. If it is a nitrocellulose coating, it might be fixable by sanding and spraying. A waterbased coating can not be redone unless the whole side is stripped and resprayed. I would try and get them replaced. I know it is a pain, but this work is unacceptable.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sixtyohno- funny that you should say that the finisher didn't know what he was doing because it plays into my husband's suggestion that it is possibly the brandywine finish thats causing these defects. my kd said they had 5 other kitchens from medallion go in around my timeframe with no problems so my husband asked me "but were they the brandywine stain?" if the other cabs are fine and my originals and the replacement are not, very possibly they are having stain problems. which doesn't give me a great feeling about the longevity of these cabs.
    i know that in theory they should be replaced but the replacement cab had as many defects as the original and it took over a month. there is no guarantee that the next cab would be any better. my feeling is that if the kd can get medallion to do decorative ends, that may be a better solution than taking the cabs down again. i fear for my granite with every uninstall and reinstall. it would be a nightmare if the granite got damaged and had to be redone!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

You are right to protect the counters. I hope medallion comes through for you. My cabinets are Schuler, made by Medallion for Lowes. My dh works for a spray equipment company, so he was a maniac about getting a good finish and he shopped alot. I hope that after Medallion gets you the decorative ends, and it is all done, you yell and scream and they give you something for your aggrevation.
    I'm sure in a few weeks you will have a gorgeous kitchen and this will fade away.
    Laura

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so all, i got an email from my kd today saying she submitted a letter to medallion to send decorative ends only for the cabs with the spots. i paid for 9 finished ends and that would cover 3. having decorative ends on some but not all is going to look terrible! so of course i emailed back that it would look odd and unfinished and that i would rather just replace the replacement cab and live with the spots on the other two cabs. i really am at a loss here as to why anyone would think 3 of 9 face cabs would be ok to add decorative ends and further i am really disappointed that medallion isn't more concerned about these finish issues. i can't be the only one!
    any advice? at this point i can't replace the base cabs since the granite is in but am i within my rights as a consumer to have the newest one replaced?
    i did let my kd know that would be more than happy to have a medallion rep come to my house and inspect the flaws. she didn't know if the rep wants to do that so it has not come up in their conversations/emails.
    thanks everyone!