Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Color Cabinets?

Posted by 11thirty (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 15:06

I just bought a townhouse that has oak hardwood floors already intalled in the kitchen. The color is ok, I can live with it, but I'm finding it difficult deciding on a shade of cabinets to purchase that would match these floors. I was dead set on white until I realized the downside (paint chips and thermofoil can yellow), so now I'm trying to decide on a shade of wood that would match or coordinate with the floors. One other caveat is that it's a typical 10x11 kitchen and is kind of dark, though I love and prefer dark cabinets. I can do the light/natural too, but not sure if it would look right. What to do? I don't want to tear out the flooring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Color Cabinets?

I think if you prefer dark cabinets you should get them or you will never be happy or satisfied. You can temper the dark cabinets with a light counter and backsplash or the same medium golden tones from the floor would pull it together. If you really want light cabinets--how about natural maple. Or , you could do dark cabinets on the bottom and white on top, where chipping wouldnt be as much of a problem, again using the golden tones of the floor in the counter and b/s to tie it all together. Go to Houzz to look at pictures of kitchens with medium oak floors--that may give you some direction as well.

o

You don't need to match the color of the floor. There can and should be some contrast in your overall color scheme.

We are having our floors refinished to will be a light brown tone and our cherry cabinets that we ordered are a reddish brown.

If you can, find a sample of your floor color (check at Lowes or HD for sample flooring pieces) and take it with you when looking at cabinets. Also take a sample of the counter top materials that you are considering.

If the room is a bit dark, you can still do darker cabinets, but go with a lighter counter, backsplash and wall color to brighten things up.

o

You can go with darker cabinets without being really dark. This is a stain called Brandywine which is either the dark end of medium or the light end of dark.

photo DSC01156.jpg

On the other hand, I'm not convinced that good quality cabinets with a good white finish would be a mistake. Have you gone back and read the 50M threads on white cabinets? I don't recall any weeping and wailing complaints about chips, although, clearly, it can happen. If you have a toddler who rides wheeled toys indoors, that could be a factor. Maybe worth another thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does anyone regret their white cabinets?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here