Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help

Posted by gavavemom (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 15:04

Ok, so kitchen cabinets and countertop done. Cabinets are Shaker style off white with center island a cherry color. Countertops are quartz (soft caramel color) but sometimes can have green undertones to it depending on light. I love subway tile but would like to add some interest while keeping neutrals. I tried a sample of the glass tile and love that too. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help

And here is the new kitchen

o

Another look at sample tile

o

In my opinion, the small stacked glass mosaic tiles are more contemporary in style and also quite busy.
I really like the white tile with the rope/braid detail.

o

I won't comment on the smaller tiles because they are generally not to my taste for kitchen backsplashes (busy). Some love them and in your kitchen you should do what you love.

In the first photo you posted, I'd worry that the larger tile has a pinkish undertone that may fight with the greenish undertone of your counters, but it's hard to tell colour subtleties from an internet photo.

o

I am afraid it will blend in a but too much... Maybe some nice greenish subway glass tiles to bring out the color of countertops? Just a thought...

o

I love the Bliss glass tile in the first photo. Blends well with your counter and is simple enough not to detract.

o

I like the Bliss glass tiles too. I think it will add a little shine and sparkle to the kitchen without being overwhelming.

o

I like the taupe and white colors in the Bliss and would put a row or two of that to tie in the island and pendants. A wide band of staggered skinny glass looks too contemporary with your pendant style. I don't like the clear glass in that group. Or use flat ceramic pencil liners. I really like the field tile. Do they have other colors with pencil liners?

o

Tried a few subtle green subway tiles and none of them worked so I am sticking with a creme colored subway tile. I like the idea of adding a row of something whether it is pencil or glass tile to add interest and would tie everything together without it looking too busy or contemporary. Bliss sells these tiles as a sheet, 12x12 and I agree the clear is not the best color in the group but they are pretty tiles. How would just going with a crackle tile work? Too subtle? I have some Fireclay samples which are very lovely.

o

Let's see the Fireclay. I attached a post of a recent kitchen done with Fireclay. Probably more color than you want but I love the slight color variation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay kitchen

o

I just put in a Fireclay crackle tile backsplash. My kitchen is totally different from yours but I thought it might help to see the installed backsplash. The color is ultra cream with black patine, and the grout is Hydroment cashmere. It is very subtle. From where I'm sitting right now, about 16' from the backsplash, you can tell the tiles are handmade, and even that they're not just a solid color, but can't really see the crackle. Close up the crackle is beautiful.

o

I knew there was another recently posted Fireclay crackle backsplash that I really liked. It was yours, Sjhockeyfan. It looks fabulous.

o

Thanks so much Romy.

o

Ok, so here is Fireclay. My first impression is that they are beautiful but there is just not enough color to tie it all together. From left to right, Clear Glaze, Ultra Cream, Birch and Shell.

o

Some glass tile options (thinking of maybe 2 rows of any of these) with a taupe subway tile.

o

That same tile with a some rustic earth tones. Again, I would only use two rows of these.

o

Encore crackled subway in Smoke.

o

And two more Encore tiles, Beach on left and Cameo on right. Again, these are beautiful but don't feel like they bring in enough color to tie everything in the kitchen in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here