Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavavemom_gw

Backsplash help

gavavemom
9 years ago

Ok, so kitchen cabinets and countertop done. Cabinets are Shaker style off white with center island a cherry color. Countertops are quartz (soft caramel color) but sometimes can have green undertones to it depending on light. I love subway tile but would like to add some interest while keeping neutrals. I tried a sample of the glass tile and love that too. What do you think?

Comments (23)

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the new kitchen

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another look at sample tile

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

In my opinion, the small stacked glass mosaic tiles are more contemporary in style and also quite busy.
    I really like the white tile with the rope/braid detail.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I won't comment on the smaller tiles because they are generally not to my taste for kitchen backsplashes (busy). Some love them and in your kitchen you should do what you love.

In the first photo you posted, I'd worry that the larger tile has a pinkish undertone that may fight with the greenish undertone of your counters, but it's hard to tell colour subtleties from an internet photo.

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

I am afraid it will blend in a but too much... Maybe some nice greenish subway glass tiles to bring out the color of countertops? Just a thought...

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love the Bliss glass tile in the first photo. Blends well with your counter and is simple enough not to detract.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I like the Bliss glass tiles too. I think it will add a little shine and sparkle to the kitchen without being overwhelming.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the taupe and white colors in the Bliss and would put a row or two of that to tie in the island and pendants. A wide band of staggered skinny glass looks too contemporary with your pendant style. I don't like the clear glass in that group. Or use flat ceramic pencil liners. I really like the field tile. Do they have other colors with pencil liners?

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tried a few subtle green subway tiles and none of them worked so I am sticking with a creme colored subway tile. I like the idea of adding a row of something whether it is pencil or glass tile to add interest and would tie everything together without it looking too busy or contemporary. Bliss sells these tiles as a sheet, 12x12 and I agree the clear is not the best color in the group but they are pretty tiles. How would just going with a crackle tile work? Too subtle? I have some Fireclay samples which are very lovely.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Let's see the Fireclay. I attached a post of a recent kitchen done with Fireclay. Probably more color than you want but I love the slight color variation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay kitchen

• romy718
    9 years ago

I knew there was another recently posted Fireclay crackle backsplash that I really liked. It was yours, Sjhockeyfan. It looks fabulous.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Romy.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so here is Fireclay. My first impression is that they are beautiful but there is just not enough color to tie it all together. From left to right, Clear Glaze, Ultra Cream, Birch and Shell.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some glass tile options (thinking of maybe 2 rows of any of these) with a taupe subway tile.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That same tile with a some rustic earth tones. Again, I would only use two rows of these.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Encore crackled subway in Smoke.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And two more Encore tiles, Beach on left and Cameo on right. Again, these are beautiful but don't feel like they bring in enough color to tie everything in the kitchen in.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so here is what I went with. Sonoma 2x8 in toast. I think it looks great! Now need to contemplate wall paint colors. I think I need to go bold to make more of a contrast. Gold or darker beige are what I am leaning towards. Any thoughts of what may go well. I will post more pics in a minute.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Overall kitchen here

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the paint swatches I like, left to right: Lenox Tan, Restrained Gold, Twilight gold (top), barley harvest (bottom), fairway oaks (top), capilano bridge (bottom), dromedary camel (below tile).

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Your granite is so different in every photo that I've always had trouble determining its predominant color. You say caramel, I see yellow or cream and even light gray. But all your paint chips have yellow or orange undertones, and they're not colors I'd put with the red island and floors.

Take another photo like the second one in this thread. Take another with just the tile and the counter. Post it in Home Decor. Some really know their paints, and they may photoshop colors for you. AnnieDeighnaugh often recommends Design Seeds to find a range of complementary colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Seeds

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Lenox Tan and Fairway Oaks look best, with the caveat that that is on my monitor, and I have seen none of these in real life!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022