Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jal5

Help paint color for kitchen and other advice

JAL5
10 years ago

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum and I appreciate any help you guys can give me. We are about to buy the house pictured below and I have no idea how to deal with the red granite. What colors should we use on the walls? Can i pull down the granite slab back splash and easily replace it?
What colors on the accent wall that divides the space?

Comments (15)

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Are you going to change the cabinet color as well?

The granite is very pretty but I don't personally think it goes with that cabinet color or the wall color at all.

• JAL5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback Texas_GEM

I would prefer a darker cabinet color. How hard/expensive is it to change the color on the cabinets?

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I'd stick with the white or near white cabs/existing floor and granite and paint the yellow walls the same whitish on the other walls....or some thing like it. The granite looks like a copper color...maybe some black hardware on the cab doors to make a punctuation type accent along with a geometric or black/white patterned rug/kitchen towels/etc. then live in the space ...don't start painting cabinets now!! It looks like 3 different ceiling fixtures and no task or recessed lighting in kitchen....is that right? I'd probably get a quote for better kitchen lighting if I were to do anything and get a streamlined coordinated look for the three ceiling fixtures, for the time being. Lowes or something like that where the cost is not prohibitive if they might be temporary.

• JAL5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks herbflavor, I appreciate your suggestions

The lights are my second point of action after I deal with the yellow. The same yellow is also on a wall at the opposite end of the living area on the doors to the patio. There are 2 light fixtures that are the same and then the one over the "dining" are which is different.
    I usually tend to like more modern kitchens with white counters and dark cabinets. one of the selling points of this house is there is minimal work to be done compared to other properties.

I think for now I will focus on the paint color thinking white on the walls around the kitchen and then not sure on the accent walls. then changing out the light fixtures to something more in our style.

Thanks again

• elizabeth714
    10 years ago

i can see how the mustard with the rust is a little loud for some tastes i would remove the backsplash and put up a tile one. and then paint the entire room a light gray. it appears that the cabs are the same as the wall color. I'd like some separation there.

• JAL5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks elizabeth714 all ideas are welcome. How hard is it to remove the backsplash? I would like to break it up a bit

• elizabeth714
    10 years ago

i have no idea. it doesn't look integrated, so maybe not that hard. i might call a tile person and see what his/her opinon is.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

1. You maybe able to tile over the granite backsplash with appropriate preparation?

2. The cream (if they are actually cream?) walls on the right are a good colour for the floor/granite - consider painting all walls to match (paint over orange).

3. Paint all mouldings the same cream - the white mouldings are very jarring currently.

4. You could paint the base cabinets and peninsula in an interesting grounding colour to harmonize with the granite counters, like Farrow & Ball Green Smoke - that would be your accent. Leave the upper cabinets as is if in good condition.

5. Paint toe kicks dark grey-brown or use a dark-stained wood.

6. Professional cabinet painting is expensive.

7. DIY cabinet painting is a lot of work. Google "How To Paint Your Cabinets - Young House Love", for example.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Wed, May 7, 14 at 16:21

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I think the counters, backsplash, floors and cabinets work. I agree the yellow/orange needs to go, as does the white toekick. A tan/light brown color might work with counters and floor, and provide a bit of contrast for cabinets.

• User
    10 years ago

The previous owners really mixed their styles. The lights, granite, and sink have kind of an Old World vibe, the cabinets are American traditional, and the chimney hood and cabinet hardware are contemporary. Is there cherry under that white paint, because this looks like a traditional cherry kitchen "modernized" with the wrong hood and paint. The floor also doesn't work with the granite and cabinets. I'd pick one style and do what I could to change the other elements. It's probably easiest to return it to its traditional roots, starting with the chimney hood. I mention that because it affects your replacement backsplash.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Totally agree about the hood, that is quite a contrast in style with the rest of the kitchen.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'm not sure there's any way to tell if the countertop is scribed closely enough to the wall to switch the backsplash over to tile. Generally a slab stone backsplash is thicker than a tile one I believe. So it might be hiding a gap that tile won't cover.

I would look at tan/beige paint colors and consider leaving the cabinet and granite alone. New lighting would be good, especially if what's there isn't functional.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Please do a search and find a color wheel.
    If this really is as red as my monitor displays, anything with a hint of green will cause the red to stand out more.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th (stop me) the vote for a nice creamy color. You'll have to experiment with samples, though, to see what the tone of the cream you choose does with the granite. Do not just pick a paint and go to it without living with at least a 2x2 sample. "If you do, don't come 'a cryin' back 'cause there'll be no sympathy," she admonished sternly.

That said, I also think the idea of doing the trim in the same color a good one. Just changing the sheen can make it look completely different, but perfect together.

Boy, if your cabinets actually are under all that, I can tell you having just stripped several cherry cabinets myself, that they could turn out beautifully if you choose to do that.

Paint is going to be your best friend here. I suggest starting with that. remember that samples next to the yellow will distract your eye.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

CEFreeman, I agree with you that the Green Smoke would tend to emphasize the red of the granite. My logic here is that it is SO red that it may be best to complement it rather than unsuccessfully try to "tone it down". Also, mixing the red with lots of earthy neutrals will tend to take things in a "Southwest" vibe direction...which is fine but some elements will not jive very well with that, IMO.

With a room like this it is probably easiest to take things step by step. First, pick a wall colour that truly complements the floor, the natural lighting, and the granite (if you are keeping those). Then re-evaluate all of the elements.

It also matters what furniture you intend to use, and what their colours/styles are.

• JAL5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.
    I'm not sure whats under the beige of the cabinets. Below is a bit of a close up. I'm traveling and this was a picture that someone sent me. The house is in South Florida and we are not huge fans of the "southwest" vibe. As of now I'm leaning to changing the light fixtures in the room all 3, painting the yellow to something else and maybe changing the hardware on the cabinets. There are recessed lights in the roof above the kitchen the fixture is decorative.

Our current dining table is mid century almost identical to this: http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?item=13328&cameFrom=117

Thanks for the help once again!

J

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida