Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulin

Backsplash finished - sneak peak at almost done kitchen

bulin
11 years ago

We have been working on our kitchen for too long to mention, and this site has been an invaluable resource. I have posted a few questions but mostly used questions from others to guide my decision making. Thank you to everyone! We are almost to the finish line. We have to continue the new paint color throughout the open connected spaces (dining room and family room, trim out a few pieces (window sill trim and around posts on large island) but are mostly done.

We just finished the backsplash last weekend. What a relief to have finally made that decision and completed it. Thankfully we also love it! :) My only dilema on the backsplash are the switch plates, currently white but considering antique pewter to match hardware - thoughts??

We reused our perimeter cabinets (replaced some doors/drawer fronts and added teh wall oven pantry). Crystal Cabinets Aurora, Frosty White

New Island cabinets - Wood Harbor in quartersawn oak

Island Granite - Delicatus

Perimeter Granite - Kodiak Brown suede

Antique Pewter hadware

Backsplash - Sonoma Stellar in Creamy Crackel with some decor pieces, also stellar creamy crackel, Sausalito and Ventana

Tile floor Sansome Italy porcelain

Knobs/Pulls/Bin Pulls - all Top Knob

We have a knife drawer, drawers for cooking utensils and drawer for baking utensils. Spice drawers, oil shelfs in doors. We have drawers for tableware, pull out trash and recycle bins. Extra storage in large island behind barstools for seasonal items. Verticle shelving in two spaces, one for cutting boards the other larger above MW for cake pans/cookie sheets. We love how organized everything is!

Looking in from adjoing family room.

Window box. glass cabinets currently hold dishes that will go in dining room hutch - (being painted) will be replaced with creamware.

Close Up of backsplash (Sonoma Stellar in Creamy Crackle)

Microwave/Advantium oven in pantry wall

TV is on wall across from larger Island and open entry that leads to back entry and mudroom/laundry room

Comments (21)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

LOVELY! I love your backsplash- classy with a little flash:)

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Can you tell me the color grout you used? Would love to see a close-up. It's beautiful!!

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Could you post bigger pictures?

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Very nice...yes, please show us a close up of your backsplash. What is the grout color?

• bulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Here is an attempt at larger pictures, unfortunately I can't seem to get something in between so I apologize if these are two large. Also added more pictures and closer up of the backsplash. We used Maipei Biscuit for the grout color. It is just the right tone - no pink, no yellow, not really grey, more like a neutral khaki/taupe. We feel it took some of the "ivory" out of the creamy stellar tile, which in our case was good because our cabinets are a creamy white - not ivory.

In all of these pictures the quarterswan oak looks more gold than it is, it's a deeper brown than shows with flash.

Here are larger pictures and closer of the backsplash:

Looking in from family room

Closer in on window box (need to trim out yet)

Another angle from living room, our old pantry didn't have the finished panels on the end - really like that detail.

We love the tile with our suede brown granite. rich and warm!

Close up of granite, love the grout color - always the most challenging part of any tiling job!

close up of backsplash again. The crackle was a lot of work with all the extra sealing but so worth it!

Another set of deep drawers for mixing bowls/tupperware and foils/baggies etc.

Deep drawers in smaller island holds all the pots/pans/saucepans and top drawer is spice rack.

My favorite part of the granite. :)

Looking in from the back entry

Trash for after meal cleanup, dishes/silverware..

Savannah is happy to see the remodeling coming to an end!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you showed your tile close up.
    I'd thought, "Hmm. nice. Very neutral."

Up close, it's RICH with texture and depth. I absolutely love how it doesn't look new! Not old and used, of course, but carefully protected and treasured. It's very special with such gorgeous crazing!

Just opened my eyes to a new world of online shopping. I think that was gorgeous.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I love your tiles! They are gorgeous! I love your double islands and your windows to the outside too! Cabinets are beautiful! AWESOME kitchen!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Beautiful! You did a phenomenal job picking the backsplash grout. It's just perfect, different enough to let the shapes stand out (in a good way), but not so different to be obnoxious or a focal point.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

The bisquit grout seems to give you a little color to distinguish the tiles, w/o being too loud. Does that sound about right? Is bisquit pretty neutral? I've got soapstone and white subways, and I'm hoping to take the brightness of the white tiles down a little with the grout (if that's possible). I'm sort of wishing they were a tad creamier, as the cabs aren't stark white.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

It's really great! I love it all.

Quick question and favor. And it is ok if you can't or don't do it...can you measure for me the distance between the two legs on the island? I"m just curious how much space that is. I'm trying get a feel if we will or won't be able to do 2 stools at the end of ours. I know stools come in different sizes. But if you could do that, I'd appreciate it!

Savannah looks tired.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Love the backsplash and the fluted trim on the cabinets above the sink.

The island cabinets look like beaded inset. Cool.

Could you provide the name and brand of the pulls please --regular, not cup pulls.

Very nice job.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the larger pics. They let us enjoy the details.

I love your granite and backsplash--so subtle and rich. You must enjoy all the wonderful natural light from your many windows. That would be so great to have. What a pleasure to view and must be a greater pleasure to work in. Enjoy!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Ahhhhh. So serene and lovely. Wonderful job. Things I love: pewter knobs, crackle tile, accent tile, granite choices, and window above sink!!! Congratulations!!

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

WOW, I love it! I've gone without a BS for over a year now. Just not loving anything. Not even pictures I've seen on here, or anywhere. We have Typhoon Bordeaux granite. But now... I can definitely say, I love your BS!
    Thank you so much for sharing!

• enduring
    11 years ago

I really think your tiled backsplash is pretty. I love the texture of the different sizes and reliefs. I like the grout lines too, the spacing and the soft angles of the tiles. Well done.

• bulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. My DH, who, with me by his side, has done all of the remodeling was so patient with my selection of the backsplash. Funny thing is that I circled back to the exact same tile I originally wanted. After looking at so many, not quite right whites, I think I finally got over the cost issue. I also found that by working with a distributer of Sonoma directly in california the price was significantly better than locally in the midwest - even after shipping costs.

Lake_girl - our cabinets are also not a pure white, a soft white (Crystal calls it frosty white). The sonoma creamy is a little "creamier" than our white and without the grout they looke even more cream. So I do believe that the grout can change the "look" of your white subways.

Bee - I will be more than happy to measure. I want to say it is 49" or 50" inside the posts but I'll measure and let you know for sure.

Red - (Makes me think of one of my current favorite shows, Once Upon A Time - Red Riding hood :) ) --- The longer pulls are also a top knob pull. It is the TopKnob M965. My Knobs are the Top Knob M354, and the bin pulls are Top Knob M364. All in Antique Pewter finish. I found the best prices at topknobs.com.

Loved hunting the web for the best prices for this project. My floor tile is from Italy and the local distributer thought their distributer "carried" it, but it turns out they special ordered so our tile people wouldn't order it. I emailed someone in Italy off the manufacturers website and they sent me a list of all US carriers. It turns out that I got the same tile for over 1000.00 less, out of Florida, including shipping. So excited! That was out of www.fastfloors.com.

Love it when you get great deals on a great product for your remodeling efforts!

• lac1
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. One more question, what color paint did you use for the walls? I love it.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And thanks for the larger pictures. Lovely to see and the gorgeous details in your new kitchen. Really like how you transitioned the backsplash at your window. Very nice! Enjoy your lovely new space!!

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Very nice! Love the contrast of the island and granite. Where are the barstools from? Congrats and enjoy your new kitchen

• bulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bee, We have 50" between barstools. There wouldn't be room for three. We really wanted five. When our oldest is home from her teaching job, and our middle is home from college we pull up an extra barstool and set it on the side by the wall oven in that little niche for our youngest daughter that is still at home.

lac - the paint is Sherwin Williams: Favorite Tan. We are using Raime in the adjoining Dining Room which is two tones down on the strip.

rt - another great web based money saving deal. We got our barstools through overstock.com. They come in pairs. The set of pairs came with one of the pairs having uneven legs (slightly wobbly). We contacted overstock and they sent another pair out. The next pair also had one chair uneven - again overstock was quick to send out a replacement. I was ready to mail back the return chairs and they said to "dispose" of them. Needless to say my DH fixed the wobbles! Unexpected bonus to have extra barstools to pull out in a pinch when extra company is around.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022