Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weiss528i_gw

Backsplash for Typhoon Bordeaux

weiss528i
13 years ago

looking for suggestions for a backsplash for Typhoon Bordeaux. We are really struggling with this. We would like to have something simple yet complementary since there is a lot of movement and color in the Typhoon Bordeaux granite. We have 8' ceilings and the backsplash will be under the upper cabinets and to the 8' ceiling around the vent hood and kitchen window.

Thanks, in advance.

--Linda

Comments (8)

• julie94062
    13 years ago

Hi Linda,
    Welcome to the Typhoon Bordeaux club :-) It depends on your cabinet color, I think, and the overall look of your kitchen. If at all possible, definitely bring home tile samples to see how they are in your kitchen's light and at different times of the day (with your granite sample). Here's a recent thread with some pics.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Calling all typhoon bordeaux's

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I have an 1825 home and wanted something more classic so I went with subway tiles. I thought cream would look the best with TB and had over 20 different tiles on my counter. I looked at them in all different conditions - night, morning, day, afternoon... One tile seemed to go the best with most of them.

I agree with you - to go with a calm backsplash so the TB shines and doesn't distract from the counters. Glass tile may look nice too.

I still have to paint including the brick in part of the backsplash

• julie94062
    13 years ago

LOL, I was going to also say that bostonpam must have picked her backsplash by now! I remember the pic with all the subways lined up. Which one (brand/color) did you go with, Pam? (...still lusting after your red range)

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

We are 90% sure we are getting Typhoon Bordeax. The slabs we liked seemed tohave more red in them. The backsplash tile we like is from Arizona Tile. The center dot is a perfect match for our cabinets. We're going to wait to decide on the backspalsh until the countertops are in.

Here is a link that might be useful: ST-201

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

Here is a pic from the Arizon Tile display.
    {{!gwi}}From GW Album

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I'm not sure where my message ended up but I picked American Olean biscuit. I lucked out that it was one of the cheapest. If I didn't have brick to paint in part of the backsplash to match the tile and to try to minimize the different materials/shape I would have gone with a homemade tile or a crackle tile - it has more depth.

• sjmitch
    13 years ago

I know this might be a little late but - when we found our typhoon bordeaux and were trying to decide on backsplash my DH had a great idea - why not use more typhoon bordeaux? Well I was surprised (cost?) and glad that he was the one to suggest it. Ours is the same layout as you're considering from countertop to under cabinets and then full height behind the cooktop with the vent hood. We also have an island that is in the same countertop. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

• noankdeb
    13 years ago

Our kitchen was recently destroyed by a dishwasher fire so we are in the process of replacing everything. We have new cherry cabinets (still light - they have not had time to bloom) and will have typhoon bordeaux countertops. I am struggling with a backsplash that will not compete and am considering more granite to go behind the stove or very plain subway tiles so as not to compete with the granite. I like BostonPam's choices very much and am also curious how sjmitch's granite backsplash looks. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas!