Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tc44

Final Reveal (Kitchen Complete!); Lots of Pics and details

TC44
13 years ago

First I would really like to thank everyone on this site. I have got lots of ideas and inspiration throughout the process from all of you. I am not sure how common this is, but I am the husband and picked pretty much everything in the kitchen :) My wife isn't much of a shopper and prefers to take the 'stamp of approval' role!

The house is 13 years old. We have been in the house for almost 3 years now and have done quite a bit of work (ie: blinds throughout, adding the LedgeStone fireplace in the family room, railing in main stairway, paint, adding all of the mouldings, .....). The kitchen just didn't fit and had to be done to match the rest of the house!

We still need to pick some stools and a light fixture, and decide whether or not to add curtains to the french doors, but the kitchen itself is complete! I have posted a few before pics and a bunch of after pics.

Details:

Ceiling: 9 Feet.

Floor: 3 1/4" x 3/4" solid Maple hardwood (pre-finished natural satin finish); tied it in with existing hardwood on main floor (previously had lino; there is much better flow now without any transitions).

Cabinets: Espresso stained Maple, shaker style doors. 42" tall, 12" deep, 4" crown. Plywood boxes, BluMotion hinges, soft-close on everything, under sink pull-out garbage and recycling.

Hardware: 8" rods on lowers, 11" on uppers, 22" around fridge.

Granite: Giallo Imperial (it is the same as some of the lighter New Venetian Gold I have seen)

Backsplash: 2 x 12" glass tiles. Desert Color; Bamboo series from Bellavita Tile. Matching 3" squares behind range.

*Expensive at $25 sq/ft, but I chose it becaused I thought it was subtle, yet interesting with the shine and backpainted textured lines you can see when standing close to the tile.

Sink: Provence single bowl, zero radius; 32" x 19"; 16 gauge (got it on eBay for $200 !).

Faucet: Kraus with pull-down sprayer

Appliances:

Range--KitchenAid 36" Commercial Style Dual-Fuel; 6 burners

Fridge--KitchenAid 72" Pro-Line counter-depth (22 Cu.Ft), water inside door

Wine Fridge--KitchenAid 46 bottle capacity

Range Hood: 36" Faber Pro-Magnum (600 cfm)

**I would NEVER have considered a 36" range before looking at all of the amazing pics on this site. After that 30" just looked so small (even though I have never been around anything but a 30" and we didn't need it, I had to have it :) So in a way, this site cost me a fair bit of money!

KITCHEN BEFORE

BAR BEFORE

DOORS BEFORE

FROM FAMILY ROOM 1

DOORS

FROM FAMILY ROOM 2

RANGE

WINDOW

PENINSULA

DISHWASHER

SINK

MICROWAVE

TO FAMILY ROOM

BAR 1

BAR 2

ACCESS FROM LIVING ROOM

EVENING

LIGHT FIXTURE?

Wondering how people feel about a fixture something like this for over the table?

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Comments (50)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a neat way to set tile! Also, the cabinet color goes very nicely with your leather chairs.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Love the backsplash, but everything is gorgeous! You've created a great space for entertaining and for LIVING.

We saw a KA wine fridge either the same or very similar to that at the "outlet" area of the appliance store, and we are sorry we didn't get it. Although, I think it's meant to be a built in, and we don't currently have the setup for that. We do have a free-standing wine fridge.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

What a difference! Whoever picked all the colours did a great job. The space between the floors to the cabinets, backsplash and walls really looks good and flows. I'm not a dark cabinet fan but it's really lightened up with the other touches.
    The light that you're showing - which table is that for and you don't like what you have? (This from someone who just did a big reno and is replacing the 6-month old MBR light fixture because I don't like it and yea - I chose it).

• bojideb
    13 years ago

I really LOVE your sink and window area. But I agree with the other posts that the whole kitchen is well done. The colors are so welcoming and modern. Enjoy your new space!

• sprtphntc7a
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful Kitchen!!! we are doing espresso cabs also, so i love the cabs, they are so rich looking. glad to see someone else go dark!!! :) all your finishes are awesome!! Enjoy!!!

• sprtphntc7a
    13 years ago

oops, forgot to ask you, what brand of high hat lights did u use?? brand, bulb type, dimmers??

did u use any under cab lights?? if so, what brand and type.

thanks alot!!!!

• sallysue_2010
    13 years ago

Very lovely and welcoming - I like the way it ties into the rest of your house (leather chairs and stone fireplace) - feels like a grown-up space.

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! I love the backsplash. Your fireplace is wonderful as well!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Very nice, you did a great job! The colors are all very inviting. That is a cute dinette and I think the light fixture fits the spot just right.

Nancy

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

From bland to KaPOW, wow! Great colors, great set-up, very well done. I like the beverage center where the desk used to be. Great idea!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

No wonder your wife is happy to sit back and give the stamp of approval, since you obviously have great taste and judgment! The materials and colors you've incorporated here are gorgeous!! The backsplash is amazing. Just the kind I like...So clean and simple, but yet still stunning.

Glad you're changing the light fixture. The option you're considering is a big improvement, and seems very suitable with the style you've created.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Wow! I am REALLY loving on that backsplash. Love the monochromatic treatment of the switch-a-roo behind the stove! And It all compliments your beautiful fireplace so nicely! Congrats and enjoy!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I agree, you have a great vision and excellent taste!

• TC44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone; it is nice to have our choices validated :)

sprtphntc: The potlights were already there. They are the old school type with the larger bulbs.
    Yes, we had undercabinet puck lights installed under each box and in the bar area (upper and lower). Not sure what brand they are, but we went with 10W bulbs so they would not get too hot. They are dimmable and controlled by one switch (there is a single transformer in our crawl space).

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

A modernish, elegant kitchen, er, ah, make that contemporary-transitional. Whatever the words, you did a great job and integrated the looks and ideas skillfully. The light fixture is another good idea.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

So shiny and comfortable - just a wonderful space to live in. What a great decision-maker! Well done...

• kmmh
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks great!
    I have a similair light over my dining room table, and I love it.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Wow, that is really gorgeous--so sophisticated, and the counters are so perfect with the cabinets. Your wife is very blessed to have someone with such great taste! :^)

Everything flows so effortlessly. Beautifully done!

And, yes, that drum shade will look smashing in that space!

• sundownr
    13 years ago

Wow, I wonder how much value you have added to your house! It's amazing! I have seen very few back splashes that I like and yours really stands out. Great choice. Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

IT's really a tremendous space and I adore your backsplash choice. What a nice comfortable family home. Congrats!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I now feel silly gushing over the bs because everyone else already has, but then again, it is gush-worthy!
    I think you have chosen serene elements yet the bs has a quiet "pow" to it and gives it life. It all flows so nicely ;)

• makena2
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your lovely kitchen remodel. It has great style---really beautiful.

My smallish U-shape kitchen space has me stymied. If you wouldn't mind giving the lengths of your fridge, stove, and sink walls, plus the peninsula, it would be extremely helpful. Also, I'm considering placing the DW on a wall running perpendicular to the sink wall (as you have) and wonder if you have any thoughts to share regarding how that has worked out for you. Thank you.

• TC44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Again, thanks so much for the compliments. We are absolutely loving our new kitchen. It is hard to believe it is ours!

Kai2001:
    Fridge wall: 9 1/2 ft
    Stove wall: 12 ft
    Sink wall: 10 1/2 ft
    Peninsula: 6 ft

*The dishwasher location is great. In the first drawing it was beside the counter (to the left). We moved it to the end (right) so it could be in the open position while standing at the sink. I would make sure you do the same.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazing transformation! You definitely spent your $$$ wisely and achieved a clean, light, modern, beautiful space. There are several things that I think particularly make everything work so effectively: light floors, paint, bs, and light granite in contrast with the dark cabs and fireplace stone. The drum shade will complete the look perfectly. Congratulations and enjoy!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Cheers TC..

Yes, it all came to together juuuuust right! Of course, I love your cabinets..and the backsplash is really stunning..a perfect compliment to your granite.

Lovely Home and It IS all yours!

KA:)

• phoggie
    13 years ago

WOW...a man who has taste~...I wish I could get my DH to do the shopping.....but then, maybe not....he doesn't have any taste when it comes to decorating....we'd be stuck in the 70's~
    You did good....and you and your DW can be very proud of your entire house.
    I LOVE your backsplash!!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and house - and the backplash is special - subtle but interesting. Congrats!

• swisscook
    13 years ago

how is that hood? Do you like it? Is it QUIET?

Looks terrific; also wondered what the brand cabinet was; very sleek and modern without being cold. Congratulations

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm not a dark cab fan, but I love what you did! All of the other choices compliment the cabs beautifully. I really like the subtle tile detail behind the range. It doesn't scream at you from across the room. Those bug me. Yours is elegant, with just enough detail to make it special.

I'm totally into drum shades right now so bear that in mind. I like the chandy choices for over the table. It'll fit the clean and modern look you've created in the house. Thanks for sharing!

• elba1
    13 years ago

Kitchen looks great, and love the stone fireplace!

• TC44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The hood is awesome. I know 600cfm is the minimum for our range but it seems like it has insane power to us (never had a large hood before). I don't know how it compares to other hoods wirth similar cfm, but I wouldn't call it quiet. On medium and high it is pretty loud.

The cabinets were custiom made by a company called Top Kitchens in the Vancouver area.

*Breezy, are you referring to the chandelier fixtures with drum shades around them? I suggested those but my wife wondered if they looked too formal for the space....?

Thx :)

• makena2
    13 years ago

Thank you for the details. And, I think your selection for light fixture is spot on!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

By drum shade, I mean a shade that looks like a drum. It could be a multi-arm chandy where each little candle-type bulb has a little drum shade--more formal. Or it could be one large drum shade with some light bulbs hidden inside. I prefer the latter, which I think is technically referred to as a pendant instead of a chandy. I don't think they look formal, but you could make it more or less formal depending on the size and fabric on the shade. Go to lampsplusdotcom and search drum shade. Or just google it. Lots of great styles out now as the shape is very popular. You could go for a fun, modern, sophisticated, casual, elegant or artsy shade. Whatever floats your boat!

I suggested it because I don't see a curly multi-arm chandy in your space with the clean, angular lines you have going on.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Just noticed that the last pic you posted is a drum shade! It's more on the formal side, but there are thousands out there from which to choose!

I forgot to mention that the shade could have a cool texture too. Bamboo or other wood, twigs, burlap, crystals, little cut-outs, pleats, etc.

• nbptmomto3
    13 years ago

very nice choices all around.

• maruha
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous. I love the backsplash especially.

• dermnp
    13 years ago

You did an amazing job with your kitchen, love the light floors with the darker cabinets and furniture, just beautiful. Whenever I see pictures of a finished kitchen that has a similar layout to mine, I have to check it out. We have our family room (great room) off the kitchen just like yours and are planning on putting in a stone fireplace. I never thought of putting the TV over it like that. This might be a stupid question but where do you put the dvd player, do you just not have one? Also I am curious where you do your prep work in the kitchen? We are getting rid of our island and having a peninsula just like yours but I am really nervous about where I will do the prep work. Thanks.

• TC44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our PVR, PS3, receiver, ... are all in the black cabinet shown in the corner. The wires run behind the wall from the TV and through a hole behind the cabinet.

We do most of our prep work on the counter space between the range and the sink, but also use the peninsula for some things.

We absolutely love the new set up. Our island was handy for putting stuff on and prep, but was always in the way; we just didn't have space for it....

• calimama
    12 years ago

love the new kitchen! can you tell me where you got the glass table set? I have been looking for one like it!

• BlueKitten
    12 years ago

What a transformation! You're officially making me question my decision to forgo the espresso cabinetry. Your fireplace is pretty similar to ours, and the dark wood looks great. LOVE your backsplash.

• TC44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found the table and chairs set on Craigslist :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

What an amazing change and beautiful change. The new fixture will be the perfect finishing touch. Lovely job, and what a beautiful fit with the rest of the space. Thanks for all the pictures. Congratulations, and happy cooking!

Becky

• dermnp
    12 years ago

Follow up to where you do prep work. Do you find that dirty dishes land up in the same space where you prep? To the left of our sink is where we will most likely do the prep work as well. We feel the same way about our island, it really is an obstacle, can't get to the frig and with more than one person in the kitchen it gets tight.

• TC44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Upon further investigation :)
    My wife, who does most of the cooking, says she uses the peninsula for most of the prep work (I guess I need to pay more attention!). Dishes go directly into the dishwasher or into the sink (we don't leave dishes on the counter, .....).
    **My cooking style requires minimal prep so I just use the spot beside the range :)
    Hope this helps.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Love the way the entire space from living room to dining room to kitchen flows together. You did an amazing job, exercising restraint and discipline to keep everything consistent. Yet you managed to make it unique and personal with details such as the way you installed the tile. Very, very nice!!!!

• isitdoneyet
    12 years ago

Wonderful awesome space. Would you tell me the paint color you used in the kitchen? Thanks.

• doraville
    12 years ago

I love, love, love, it! Enjoy!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

So handsome! You'll enjoy this so much.
    lynn

• kadydid
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I just love your kitchen!!

• drdannie
    12 years ago

Wonderful job... everything looks perfect. Love the tile and also your faucet. I've been looking for something similar so thanks for posting manufacturers. I think you're right on with the new shade for your chandelier.