Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new wood countertops installed (Yay!)

Posted by TheRedHouse (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 14:36

I've been lurking here for a long time and have learned oh so much from the members of this forum. Thank you all for that! I'm de-lurking to share a photo of our new counters. We're in the midst of a kitchen makeover -besides the new countertops, we'll be adding a backsplash and painting the cabinets.

The counters are reclaimed Douglas fir from area industrial buildings. We're totally thrilled with the way they look. When the builder/installer left he told me to go ahead and beat them up because we can always sand and oil them to be as good as new. That's what a clumsy girl like myself likes to hear.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new wood countertops installed (Yay!)

That countertop is gorgeous - I love the color of the wood. How is the wood treated - is it simply oiled or is there something else sealing it too?

o

Gorgeous! Enjoy. My island top is Douglas fir... Out of our yard, so newer and maybe softer? But it does get beat up. I expected it, so it doesn't really bother me. I know we can do a major sanding if I want to really fix it.

o

Oh wow! So nice! - Your jug is cute too!
I really like how it was pieced together.

o

Thanks!

jerzeegirl, it's Osmo top oil. It has 3 coats now and they left me enough to do another in a couple of weeks. After that, I'll either buy more Osmo or use tung oil.

Here's a close up in case anyone is interested.

o

They are so beautiful! Enjoy.

o

Now that is one (wolf whistle) beautiful countertop!! There's nothing like the warmth of wood. Congrats!

o

Pretty, pretty!

I've been collecting reviews of all these darned wood counter products. Osmo is well reviewed, but since they all sound the same to me, it's confusing.

Anyway, just gorgeous. :)

o

wow...those are beautiful. I love the unique grains!! Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen...But I do have a question because I plan to use Osmo on my walnut countertop - do you have a sink installed in your counter and if so, did you treat it with anything other than Osmo? I wasn't planning to, but then read something breezygirl wrote recently that made me think I should do something else around the sink area.

Enjoy the new countertop!

o

Gorgeous wood and it has a great story too. Congrats.

o

Hi library girl, the counters just have Osmo around the sink. I have a towel right below the sink and just wipe up the few drops that get on the counter as soon as I can. Hopefully, it'll just become a habit. We did swap out our old double bowl sink (witch had one smaller swallow side) and faucet that soaked us every time we used the sprayer. With a single bowl with a center drain and faucet that isn't scary, there is a lot less water around the sink in general now. Keeping most of the water in the sink is a totally new experience for us. I'll attach a pic that includes the sink.

o

Thanks for the info - I totally know what you mean about keeping most of the water in the sink is a totally new experience for us...

Good luck with the rest of your renovation!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here