Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Butcher block island...do I need another surface for eating area?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

I'm planning to have a 5' x 5' island, with seating on two sides. I'd like to use butcher block for the entire island, but some people have suggested another material for the eating area, by the stools. Does anyone have two different materials...or just the butcher block? The island will be all one level. And of course, pictures are always welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Comments (32)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Lavender.

As you know, I have a wood island. Black walnut plank, not necessarily what I'd call "butcher block." One of the reasons I choose it was because I didn't want the coldness of stone at the stool area. It's cold many months of the year on my side of the mountains (yes, not as cold as you can get, but more months of cold than you usually get), and I was concerned about the feel of torso and arms on cold stone.

It's been great so far! Looks yummy and never feels cold when sitting and eating or hanging out. Not that I ever get to sit and hang out in my kitchen...

The coloring is off here, but you get the idea.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezy- It's good to see you, back! Your island is SO pretty...as is your entire kitchen :)

That's a great point about stone being cold. I don't want to use granite or marble at the island, for that very reason. I like the wood, but I would rather not urethane it...do you think oiling it will be enough protection from drinks...or should I just get out some coasters? LOL

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Hmmm. curious to hear some answers : ) Why would you need something else for eating? If it's for looks I can see why someone might like that two-toned appearance, but I doubt it's necessary...

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fishies- Hi! Great news about your cabinets! I'd like to be able to cut veggies and roll out dough...on the island, so I'm wondering if that kind of a finish will hold up to the stool area...with kids/drinks on that portion.

A few people suggested something more 'durable' for the eating area, but I'm hoping the butcher block will work well, for the entire island :)

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

We plan to oil/wax but I know others like Waterlox, etc... I think as long as you oil it a LOT in the beginning (first year?) it starts to be less and less- like once a month or every other month.

I've been using my Boos Block board for months and experimenting with it. I got a water ring on it accidentally from a cup. I have a little 320 grit (fine) sanding block. I just rubbed over it a bit, re-oiled, and it's gone! I like that you can just sand here and there and re-oil. Yes, the Waterlox products are probably more bulletproof for liquids, etc but I'd be more worried about scratches maybe.

Having said that, I think with waterlox you can spot-fix as well..

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

I think all butcher block will be great for seating, and I agree about the warmth. 5x5 seems a bit small for multiple surfaces. We're doing end-grain hardrock maple (reclaimed bowling alley) for our peninsula, which will be prep and seating.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

lavender- Yes, I'm getting a lot of cabinet quotes this week : ) So many options out there. We'll see where we end up with all of them budget-wise.

I think you'll love the wood. (I'm hoping I do!) I think it will be really nice to sit at and I also think it will get a lot of positive remarks from guests. Very homey : )

I updated our famous "fabric discussion" : ) lol I feel like I'm losing my mind. This is all fun and frustrating at the same time!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

If you can prep on it, spilling juices, etc, could eating on it do much worse? Coasters seem kind of funny when the rest will be getting so much more use with less care for the surface. Whatever is enough to protect a prep surface is enough to protect an eating surface for me.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the positive responses! I'm feeling a lot better about all butcher block, now...and I think it will be a nice contrast to the marble and ceramic tile. Definitely much warmer to lean on :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This isn't my layout or style...but I do like this island.
    {{!gwi}}From Fairy tale cottage

But with these types of cabinets and the butcher block top :) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I like that island too and it gives that table look you wanted.

One thing is that IF you want a light-colored wood top like that it will be much more susceptible to staining (if you're just oiling/waxing) than a darker wood like walnut. Not sure what type of wood you're thinking of or how you may finish.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fishies- That's been my concern about the island top, too. I like the green island, but maybe a little darker top would be better.

I just saw this magazine (Country French) and I really like the darker butcher block and the range. Not just the color (it's a little too dark a blue) but the big vent/hood! Finally, a place to put my husband's french fryer and George Foreman grill (don't you love Christmas presents?) but he does like to use them...and this would finally get the oil and steam out of the kitchen :)

And, I think that island is wonderful! I'd have to turn it to fit in the space, but Rhome has made a good argument for a prep sink and I think the butcher block work area and the little marble table with stools would be a great combination. Yes, not as warm to lean on, but we will have the wood dining table, right behind it.

Here are the pictures and how I would hopefully fit that idea into my kitchen space... {{gwi:1448525}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Another view of the range...but without the bull's head! LOL {{gwi:1448526}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And my plan... {{gwi:1448527}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

That looks great! So, no more square? Things change quickly around here. LOL
    It's a beautiful kitchen and I think the island will work well that way!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! I thought square would be the answer...but it was such a big piece of butcher block. I wanted to be able to have the nieces and nephews sit and work/talk at the island, but not the 'stadium seating' as Marcolo describes it. This seems like a nice compromise...and it breaks up the butcher block a bit :)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

We have John Boos hard rock maple in the oiled finish. Our island is about 10 years old. The BB has held up very well, and I highly recommend it.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I'm glad I was of some help, but I'm sorry to say that the prep sink doesn't work the same when not oriented with the stove as it was with the stove at the top. (You're quite a walk to a sink from the stove with a big pot of boiling water.) Now you have 2 sinks back to back. Possibly a little helpful at times, but not the multipurpose prep sink and great layout you started with with cooking, prep, and baking grouped together. In this layout, I'm really unsure about the best prep sink placement.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

julie- I was thinking of your maple earlier. I forget if you cut on it? Do you ever have staining issues? Do you sand it here and there? ... or just keep oiling? : )

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie- Thanks for the picture and the recommendation! Looks like it's held up, beautifully :)

Rhome- I know it's not the best place for the prep sink...but it would still be nice next to the baking area...and it would give me a prep sink on the island, for cutting veggies, etc.

The range to sink is about 8' but I have at least 6' now and it hasn't been a problem. What do you think about the big hood/vent? I like that my husband could be doing his frying and using the main sink/range area for his prep...while I still have the island and baking area!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fishies- Isn't Julie's countertop beautiful? That hard rock maple is so pretty...almost a honey color...and it still looks like new :)

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I like... ok, LOVE... the big hood. At one point I was going to have a bigger hood to cover where we'd use the panini grill, waffle irons, fryer, etc. I still think it was a good idea, but gave it up for those uppers by the stove that aren't as useful as I'd imagined... That reminds me. You moved the stove so you could have the uppers on that wall, and won't that hood prevent that?

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I would probably put the prep sink on the stove side of the island. We had back to back (literally just an aisle width apart) sinks and it was very useful, one of the many favorite things we did with that kitchen: More hand washing (yes, I am aware that some consider prep and hand washing at the same sink a filthy habit, but I found it comforting that my family actually washed their hands) and less congestion at the sink.

I love the butcher block on the island.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome- LOL! I wondered if you would notice that...but I'm hoping to do something like those built-in shlelves on both sides for spices, etc. I'd rather have the shelves, than have spices in drawers...and I could put the pasta in glass containers on the counter...or store them in drawers or in the island.

That big hood is a great idea...and that's why it wouldn't work to switch the range and main sink. I'd have no room for windows and I really want the light and the view. So, compromise...but I think the prep sink still works for the baking area and prep on the island. And, it's just me and my husband so I bake a lot more than I cook, since I take stuff up to my mom and/or send it home with the nieces/nephews, when they come out :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claybabe- Nice to read that you like the back to back sinks. I'm all for hand washing at any sink...especially when the nieces and nephews visit! LOL

I thought about putting the prep sink on the end by the range, but I think I would use it more, closer to the baking area. I'm forever washing flour, eggs, etc off my hands, when baking...and it would be closer to the frige for washing veggies to prep on the island.

Do you have any pictures of your kitchen with the back to back sinks?

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

We cut right on it every day. I am probably don't oil it as much as I could/should, but we have no issues.

I don't baby it at all.

The only stains I have not been able to remove with baking soda/salt and vinegar or lemon juice has been sharpie marker....for that I sanded and re-oiled.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Lavender, where did you find the photo of the dark wood kitchen, it is EXACTLY what I am planning!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie- I'm so glad it's such an easy surface to maintain. I think that will be great!

Laura- I believe that is a Candice Olson kitchen (Divine Design on HGTV) and I found it on Yahoo images under 'square kitchen island' I think. Let me see if I can make the picture a little bigger, for you :) {{gwi:1443689}}From Cottage house plans

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Perfect! I'm in love!

Change the floor to hardwood and a sink where the range is and you have my kitchen!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned, I love Candice Olsen in general, I actually bought her book for ideas, but most of the renovations where small homes so I didn't quite get to the ideas I was thinking about it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura- It's great that you have something you can show your architect...THIS is what I want! LOL The more 'visual aids' you can bring in, the clearer your style will be.

I think it would be a great idea, to collect as many inspriation pictures as you can find. At least one for every major space...and don't forget bathrooms, laundry area, and even closets and built-ins. It will make choosing your fixtures and finishes so much easier, too! :)

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Oh dear, lavender, I will try to retrieve my old photobucket stuff...

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Ok, here goes:

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claybabe- Thanks for posting the picture! What a pretty kitchen and I can see why the two sinks worked so well, in your space :)

Well, I had just about convinced myself that I could live without so many upper cabinets, when I realized I'm going to need a bit more storage around the main sink...and I don't want to close off the light from the french door, to the range.

So, here's a variation of the plan above... {{gwi:1448532}}From Farmhouse plans

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals