Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Difficulty recessing fridge

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

So I didnt do all of my homework when I came up with a kitchen plan that including using a 61" wall and recessing the fridge into one side of it and using the other space for a 24" pantry cabinet with roll out shelves.

The fridge was supposed to be close to the mudroom doorway. The pantry was supposed to be on the end with the bathroom door. When we knocked down the sheetrock on the wall we found a drain pipe for the upstairs bathroom. My hubby promptly relocated that. But I didnt take into account the extra space needed in the fridge opening for sheetrock. And now we have another cold water pipe that needs to be moved as well. And my husband is saying that now we wont be able to have a trim piece on the bathroom door over by where the pantry will be! I have a feeling that will look terrible.

We're in this now though and DH is going to finish it. He's removed a closet that was on the back of the wall and now you can see right into the mudroom area. There is a pocket door to our 1/2 bath here and we've decided that we are going to sheetrock over this pocket door and have our new closet (for cleaning supplies and such) be on this side wall where the pocket door is now. I've tried to think of alternatives to recessing the fridge but now that DH has the wall ripped apart and bought copper to move the cold water pipe, he doesnt want to stop now.

I dont want to add any additional work for DH, but I am worried about the problem with the bathroom trim missing where the pantry cabinet is supposed to go.

DH is also insisting on building a real 2x4" construction wall around the back of the fridge. This is a load bearing wall and he also wont consider not sheetrocking behind the fridge to gain an extra .5" of space.

Comments (2)