Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summersucks_gw

Microwave small enough to fit in an upper cabinet?

summersucks
12 years ago

So I've searched and searched and have had no success. Does anyone here actually have a microwave that's shallow enough to fit in an upper cabinet, so only 12" deep? or less?

I wonder if this is even possible or if I am doomed to have a MW sitting on my counter forever :o(

Comments (49)

• summersucks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok so the universe is weird. No sooner did I post this that I found one. It's danby, exclusive to Rona in Canada. It's 10 2/16" deep! WINNER!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Whoa! Great find!

• summersucks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh if anyone is interested, link!

http://danby.com/product/DMW077BLSDD/7

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I have been eyeing the one below at Future Shop which is still 12.75". Zellers has something less deep (12" ish, if memory serves) - house brand - Home Sense maybe - should the Danby not work out. Zellers one is white.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for the same, too bad this one is only available in Canada :-(. One caution though, just make sure you have enough for clearances, the installation for the Danby stated
    "Allow 20 cm of space above the microwave oven,10 cm at back and 5 cm at both sides." I also found this one which has less clearance issues, I THINK!

Here is a link that might be useful: other small microwave

• weissman
    12 years ago

The GE Spacemaker PEM31 can be installed in an upper cabinet if you recess it into wall slightly. If you use their trim kit, it will vent out the front properly. I have the previous model JEM31. Sharp also makes one the R-1214, I think, that also works.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

Just want to add some thoughts about MWs in cabinets: I keep my microwave in a wall cabinet (but we custom built it so it's 13" deep and holds the smallest GE.) I just wanted to report that the MW does produce some moisture. For example when you MW soup or veggies and then open the door, there's steam. I'm slightly concerned about the effect of that moisture on the cabinetry over time. I MW with the cabinet door open, and if it's something steamy I usually leave both the MW door and cabinet door open for a few minutes afterwards to let the steam dissipate, rather than shut it in the cabinet.

I do love having it hidden away behind a door, though!

• momof2doxies
    12 years ago

I just had my contractor build a small shelf where our large over the counter microwave was. It is a small Frigidaire.

• summersucks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

woa @cluelessincolorado I had no idea I needed 10cm behind it! that's nuts! I just don't use my microwave that much, like maybe two or three times a week, so I don't foresee moisture being a huge issue...also, the wall cabinets are actually going underneath my counter overhang and they're not totally built in, they will just sit under the counter so recessing the microwave isn't really an option...

lots of good options here though, thanks so much everyone! i am thinking my best bet is to just shop around some B&M stores and measure them in person.

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

GE PEM31SMSS... I've had them in my last 2 kitchens, have one on order now.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Spacemaker

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I have had my eye on this for a while also do not microwave often. Just once in a while i think it would be nice.
    I deliberately did n ot make space for the micro and probably would like to do without one ( how did they used to heat up thing before we discovered the joy of microwave is what i keep asking myself?)
    anyway this looks do-able
    it's called an WaveCube Microwave

Here is a link that might be useful: cute little microwave

• rjr220
    12 years ago

I used a traditionally sized MW, and just made the cabinet deeper. Even though my last MW lasted 20+ years, I didn't want to be searching for a replacement MW in 10 or so years that had to fit a specific sized cab. SOOOOOO, the spot for mine is plenty big, to allow for ease of MW replacement, and also for proper venting.

No matter what size you get, remember to have your electrician put in a recessed outlet. That will save you some depth as well.

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I have the GE Spacemaker mentioned above, and I do not think it will work for the OP. I purchased it figuring it could go in my pantry cabinet or on the counter, depending upon which place seemed best. My pantry cabinets are 14", not 12", as the OP has. And the microwave is too deep for the pantry cabinet. (I thought the pantry cabinet was to be 15" deep, the maximum we could have without doing away with a window I wanted to keep. The microwave would have worked in that case.) I have the microwave on the counter in a corner which would be pretty much unusable otherwise.

• summersucks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@muspic that is wickedawesome. I need to see pics of the inside, but that is so darn adorable! I wonder if it'd be enough for us...

@vitamins, you're absolutely right. The specs tell me it'll be too deep. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

summersucks - are you needing to close the cabinet door? If so, then you and vitamins are right, the GE Spacemaker won't make it; it's 12 9/32" deep (just over 1/4" beyond the 12"). If you do find something that works for you, please share so the rest of us learn. The Danbys look great. There's actually another model (DMG099BLSDD) on their website that's .9 cu ft capacity and only 11 9/16" deep. But I can't find any place to actually buy one... :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Danby DMG099BLSDD

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

rjr220 -- Thanks so much for posting the picture of your microwave shelf. I have to advise my GC tomorrow exactly how I want the microwave shelf for my reno. Been ruminating about it all weekend & was pretty sure I wanted it done like yours. Seeing your photo confirms it!

Shallow depth microwaves with any decent interior size are hard to find, and I have similar concerns as you -- that it would be a hassle to try to find a shallow depth replacement later on, even if I bought one now. Bumping out the cupboard & shelf means that nearly any size microwave will do. I was considering the GE PEM31, saw the Sharp online but can't see it in any stores near me to check it out. Now, I can get the deeper GE I was looking at -- and still have it fit on the shelf.

BTW, love your kitchen!

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

I chose a micro shelf to get mine off the counter. These were RTA cabinets, and the uppers were standard depth, but the micro shelf sticks out a bit further. If you are planning to use an already installed cabinet, perhaps a deeper shelf board could be bolted to the lower shelf to hold a deeper microwave.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• summersucks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

redhead, yes, I was hoping to be able to close the door.

Sadly, the danby arrived and the website dimensions are WAY off. I had to return. Back to square one.

• amela
    12 years ago

We've been struggling with this issue ourselves. Too many of our friends have had trouble replacing built in microwaves. Our solution is to place it in an upper cabinet, on a shelf but build the shelf recessed so that the microwave does not need a ledge jutting out. Much like recessing a regular refrigerator to appear to be counter depth. I'll post a photo during construction and after when we get there....hopefully this summer!

• cplover
    12 years ago

So after more research it looks like the walmart website regarding the GE microwave may not be accurate: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/JES0736SPSS.html

• davidro1
    12 years ago

recessing a microwave into a niche in the wall. Good idea.

--

dimensions often get erroneously reformatted, on the web. Triple check them.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

FWIW, I have the walmart Rival MW, because it was the very smallest one I could find. It's not very highly powered and even that one, although technically it would fit on a shelf, can't be used that way because of the clearances required.

I honestly don't think your plan is going to work. You'll either need a deeper space or just go with a microwave with a hanging kit under a cabinet.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I have been searching for a microwave to go in an upper cabinet also, but on a shelf like cooksnsews and lovesautumn. The problem I'm having is that the smaller microwaves all seem to have some really bad reviews; they stop working after a few months, (Panasonics) spark and start fires, or the door button breaks. I would say it's a problem with smaller micros, but the GE spacesaver probably has the worst reviews of all.

For those of you who do have a small microwave, less than 15 inches in depth, what brand, how long have you had it, and how do you like it?

I currently have a Sharp Carousel, similar to this one but a 90's model. It also seems that newer models don't get the best reviews either, so maybe they just don't build them as well as they used to.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Marti8a,

I purchased the GE spacesaver about 6 months ago or more and its been working fine. I had posted about the spacesavers on appliances forum and got some postive feedback. Yes I did read some bad reviews on the internet. I plan to use it on a shelf.

I know there are at least two people on kitchens who have posted that they have the spacesaver and haven't reported any issues that I know of. I could not find any alternatives to use on a 12 or 13" shelf.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Ok, I just ordered it. I know it stands to reason that more people would post negatives than positives, and the spacesaver did fit the space better than any other.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Just came back to give a big thank you to debrak 2008 and others who helped me with the microwave decision. The GE spacesaver fits into the cabinet opening perfectly. I'm really pleased with it so far.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Marti8a,

I'm so glad it worked out for you.

Mine is still working well but still waiting for the shelf.

Debra

• Tchad
    10 years ago

Good Morning! I am glad I am not the only person looking for this 'unicorn' of a microwave oven. I recently installed new cabinets and in one upper cabinet I had an outlet installed (originally there was not a cabinet here and the wiring was for a wall lamp). My goal was to procure a very small microwave that I could keep behind closed doors. I rarely microwave and wanted it out of view. I was curious how many of these suggestions actually fin INSIDE the cabinet (door closed). The max depth allowance I have is 11 inches. This is a picture of a similar application in the UK (or Switzerland).

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

We are building a new house; our cabinet maker is putting the microwave under the cabinet. It will have a small drawer underneath it, in the gap between the microwave and the counter. The space for our microwave will be large enough for a mid sized unit; if we ever want a smaller microwave, the extra space in the microwave spot will be easy to deal with.

I've always had over the range microwaves and never liked them...,I've heard that kitchen designers discourage them - they can be a safety issue, and for shorter adults and children, they can be very hard to use. So - I hope this alternative location will be a good solution.

• PRO
    Adaptations Unlimited
    8 years ago

Does anyone have anything new to share on this topic, the GE model has been discontinued and I need to find something small to fit behind a lift up door in a cabinet that is 18" deep overall (30" w) but has an inset door, so probably ~16 1/2" depth.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

There are a lot of options out there for smaller microwaves. I went to a local discount store recently and had a choice of about 7-8 units on their shelves between 13-15" deep. Of course, not all were fancy brands. I like the 13" deep Panasonic I bought for about $60.

• michfbgal
    8 years ago

The GE PEM31SFSS model might work for you.

• KAREN
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

funkycamper what is the model # for your Panasonic? TIA

• ginny20
    8 years ago

When my Frigidaire MW died after 18 months, I did some research, and a lot of people liked Panasonic MW's. The small Panasonic I needed didn't come in SS at the time, so I got a Sharp Carousel, I think it's the 1000 watt one? It's a little over 14" deep including the bump at the back. For most MW's, they prefer you have room behind them for air circulation, but mine is on the counter so I figure it gets some air. Anyway, it's been almost 2 1/2 years, and the Sharp is still working and I like it. I think Samsung had good reviews, too, at the time. But Panasonic seemed to be the favorite.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

NN-SD3725

http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/microwave-ovens/countertop-microwave-ovens/NN-SD372S.html

They're asking more than twice what I paid but at least this gives you the info. I would just go to a discount store and get whatever they have that's cheap, is the right size, and has a look you like, no matter the brand. If you only pay around $60 like I did, who cares if it breaks down in a few years? Of course, I'd still rather get many more years of use with it but it wouldn't break the bank to replace it.

I'm just stunned at what they're asking for it because I paid so much less. It must have been a real loss-leader that week.

ETA: I just read in the description that it has features I didn't even realize it had. I guess I should actually read the manual, lol.

• KAREN
    8 years ago

Thanks funkycamper. I agree about just getting something cheap and getting something new if it would break down. I only use a microwave for re-heating. Do you like the inverter technology?

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Inverter? Seriously, I never read the manual and don't even know what that's supposed to do. I use a microwave to re-heat coffee, melt butter, heat soup, occasionally to make baked potatoes and defrost if I forgot to take something out in time. That's about it. Re-heating coffee is definitely the main use. So, except for potatoes, I never actually cook anything in it. And I only do baked potatoes that way if I don't have something else cooking in the oven. If I do, I prefer my potatoes cooked that way.

I think the defrost uses the inverter and it does do a better job defrosting than my previous one. I don't have to watch it as close to ensure that portions don't get cooked. So I guess I do like that. The controls are easy to figure out for defrost. You select the weight and push start. Everything defrosts nicely without cooked edges.

For everything else I simply push the button that adds a minute for each push. One push/minute to reheat coffee. One for butter melting but then I watch it and check after 20-30 seconds. More minutes for baked potato.

I definitely don't use all the tech built into microwaves. I noticed in the description that it has a feature that is supposed to be able to keep a dish warm without cooking it. That sounds like it could be handy but I need to dig out the manual and figure it out. I usually use the warming burner on my cooktop for that but it might be interesting to see how the microwave does with that task.

It has a lot of buttons I've never pushed. I've had it maybe 3-4 months.

LOL, I think I gave you a very wordy response without a lot of information that could help you. Sorry.

• KAREN
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the info, funkycamper. This sounds exactly what I
    'm looking for.

• msmith652
    8 years ago

Any ideas where I can find an microwave with 11" depth or less. (Tchad if you are reading this- where is the microwave in your picture from?)

• Brandon McCauley
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

LG - 0.7 Cu. Ft. Compact Microwave - Stainless-Steel. Item# LCS0712ST

This is a really great option for small places. It looks so average online but it looks MUCH better in person. And best of all it is only $90 and is 5 star rated.

• priyadp22
    7 years ago

This thread is good but could not get a microwave that fits in 12 inch deep cabinet with door for the cabinet

• jveiga01
    6 years ago

I have the exact problem, and after much research, I only found one microwave that can almost fit into a 12" cabinet. (12 1/5" depth).

It's the LG .7 cubic foot LCS0712ST unit.

http://www.lg.com/us/cooking-appliances/lg-LCS0712ST-countertop-microwave

Their website has a nice find store near you service.

https://www.lg.com/us/products/wtb?modelId=MD05167240

• Keri
    6 years ago

Just to add to this discussion, I'm actually putting my microwave in a lower cabinet. I can still close the door and have it out of sight, but I don't have to go crazy finding one that is less than 12 inches deep. Might not be ideal to bend down and all that, but I don't use it very often and didn't want to make room for it in my new kitchen!

• patmurphy16
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am also looking for a shallow micro — trying to fit into a 12" upper cabinet. I downloaded the manual for the LG mentioned above ( LG .7 cubic foot LCS0712ST) mentioned by jveiga01 and it says you need 4" clearance on sides, top and back for proper venting— which negates the shallow depth. I may resort to installing under the counter also. I am trying to do something similar to this.

• joanh123
    2 years ago

rjr220 10 years later and asking you a question! Do you still have that microwave shelf? If so I am wondering what the depth of it is?

• joanh123
    2 years ago

I am Planning a new kitchen. An 18" deep upper microwave cabinet with shelf underneath was suggested by the designer. I am wondering if everyone thinks 18" is deep enough.

• Christie Lewis
    2 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but if you're like me and looking for a microwave less than 11.5" deep, I found a cheap one! Only 10.16" deep. Ktaxton 17.76 cu inch microwave 700watts. Available at Wayfair and Walmart.

https://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/ktaxon-1776-07-cu-ft-700-watt-microwave-ktax4627.html?piid=56127824

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-Retro-Countertop-Microwave-Oven-with-Compact-Size-Position-Memory-Turntable-Sound-On-Off-Button-0-7Cu-ft-700W/289150896

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia