Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needs help with countertop choice!

Posted by Arakashi (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:24

Hi,
I love this forum, and have only gotten this far in my kitchen reno because of all the great advice here, so first, a big THANKS!

I have narrowed my counter selection down to a dark gray and a medium gray color. I want it to be pretty consistent (eg no speckles), but would prefer granite (virginia jet mist polished maybe?) over quartz (msi Q Premium Natural Quartz shadow gray or Concerto, it's $50 sqft installed, unlike all of the major quartzs I've looked at which seem to be at least $80 sqft) because of the posts about quartz chipping.

However, I was looking for help with

a. which gray (if either) do you like? (small samples of the 2 msi dark and light grays are in picture; my cabs are a laminate, smooth finish but there is horizontal grain).

b. any other granite suggestions? (I love basalinta but its way out of my price range)

c. I know its a dead horse, but will quartz really chip?? (eg, would you do quartz or granite? I have 2 boys under 2, so dont plan to remodel this kitchen again, so need it to last! I love honed granite but am too scared of it...)

d. Ive found only a few threads on Q Premium Natural Quartz. has anyone used it recently?

Thank you so much for any advice on any of my questions!
Ara

This post was edited by Arakashi on Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needs help with countertop choice!

I wouldn't use it if you're afraid of chipping. It's Chinese quartz, and they just don't have the quality control of other, long-established quartz companies. Who knows what shortcuts they take. Remember the Chinese drywall fiasco from a few years ago? It's too big an investment to go with an off brand of quartz.

o

I would go with granite for sure, and with your cab colors, I prefer the darker color.

o

My monitor is reading a strange undertone on the cabs, but my monitor is not all that great. What color overall are your cabinets? They look warm in tone. If they are I would rather go with a warm brown, like brown antique granite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here