Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

MOP backsplash in, walls painted, all done w/ real pics soon

wi-sailorgirl
10 years ago

Whew. It's over. Took way longer than it was supposed to, but after a massive paint fest on Memorial Day to get the crown caulked and touched up and the walls painted, we're all finished. I'll take "real" pictures this weekend, but here's a quick cell phone shot of my favorite thing in the kitchen: the mother of pearl backsplash. This is where it all started for me and every decision hinged from it. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

This is a pic I snapped while the grout was still drying. I can't wait to show you the rest.

Comments (37)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

And *I* can't wait to see the rest!

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Oooooh!!! Can't wait to check back later for more pics!

Congrats!

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! Love the mother of pearl backsplash!!

• kiko_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! Looks great.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• alexx
    10 years ago

Yay! Can't wait to see more. Looks beautiful.

• jmaurry
    10 years ago

I love it!!
    Where did you get it? What brand and does it come in different sizes (like staggered strips or anything)?

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Fabulous! Can't wait to see more pictures.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I love the sparkle. It's beautiful...can't wait to see more pictures!!!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

wow..details, please!

• KBH
    10 years ago

So gorgeous - you must be so pleased to look at that everyday

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I can see why you are so excited! What color grout did you use? I'll be doing mine in a few weeks.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow! That is a knock out! Just beautiful!

• hobokenkitchen
    10 years ago

WOW!! Cant wait to see more!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

*LOVE IT*. I picked out my MOP as the first element of my bathroom remodel. We just finished out bathroom up too.
    Love your kitchen backsplash. I would be interested to hear your source, and how your tiler went about attaching it to the wall. Mine was not thrilled with the thickness (thin) of the tile... but we put ours in the shower. He did a fine job; as yours looks great too!

• theultimatebikerchic
    10 years ago

How pretty!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful! I can't wait to see the rest of the kitchen.

• Catherine Roddick
    10 years ago

Divine!!!!!!

• Laura
    10 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous!! Love the MOP - such a beautiful choice. Can't wait to see the rest...

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Fabulous! Does the BS sparkle in all lighting? Can't wait to see more. Hurry up you tease! :>)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Wow, is that ever lovely. Magazine worthy!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Stunning sparkle! Love MOP!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

So gorgeous! And I'm so excited since I chose my MOP first and planned the rest of the kitchen around it too! I got the mini bricks and have a feature behind the stove that I'm excited about. It is wonderful to see it in a real kitchen instead of a box!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I like the way that the glass knobs and MOP pick up each others sparkle. Nice job.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Kirkhall. Would love to se the MOP in a bathroom, especially in a shower stall.
    Did you post a final reveal? If so, can you provide the link? Thanks.

• pharaoh
    10 years ago

Divine!!!!!!

Can I say that this is my all time favorite backsplash? Even better than my own full glass BS ;)

The material, the color, the texture, everything is simply stunning. Please show the rest of the kitchen.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see more pics, it looks great! Can you define 'soon'??? :)

• rosie
    10 years ago

How pretty! That's a sparkle I could live with happily. I bet it looks as lovely at night under lights as in the morning.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, all. I hope to take pics tomorrow and get them up Monday.

@jam sf we actually ordered it through a tile store in Key West ( nowhere near us, long story) but I have seen similiar tile online, including at Amazon. I'm sure there are other patterns as I've seen some on this board, but I never looked into it because I knew I wanted the 1-inch mosiac.

@willemsen: we used Bright White. We did a sample of Alabaster but felt it made the tile look pinkish. I was worried that the bright white would be too white, but we're thrilled with the final look.

And yep, it does sparkle with the UCLs on. :) more to come, I promise.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Love it and can't wait for the full set of pictures!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Was this diy too? I love how it looks with your counters.

• iris714
    10 years ago

Your backsplash looks fabulous! But of course I'm biased, since I also did a MOP backsplash with white cabinets. :)
    I'm excited to see the rest of your kitchen!

• steph2000
    10 years ago

It looks lovely...the whole thing, really. The white on white on white is just working so well for you!

Can't wait to see the full reveal.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Very pretty! You've had a long haul, with the new upstairs, and kitchen, too. Enjoy!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

tangent to answer island-- Final reveal is not done. I've attached a picture here though for you. Check bathrooms forum for final reveal by end of month.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

kirkhall, OMG I'm speechless. That application is fantastic!
    I'm drooling over yours and sailorgirls MOP! I want it somewhere. Hope I don't miss your final reveal or sailorgirls.So beautiful! Thanks.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the link to the finished kitchen post

Here is a link that might be useful: Wi-sailorgirl's finished kitchen