Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

KAW - A Different Spin

dcward89
9 years ago

Our kitchen isn't done but we have the cabinets installed and fridge and range are in and functioning so....

KAW for my pup pups!!! I make them homemade liver treats and hadn't made a batch of them for several months because of no stove. I forgot to snap a pic of the two of them sitting right under my feet as I cut them up...wouldn't leave my side!!!

This is Heidi and her "what do you mean we don't have any liver treats" look!! She is a mini long-haired doxie, almost 9 months old.

Diesel is also a mini long haired doxie, black and tan, and Heidi's daddy!!! I love my babies!!!

Sorry if this isn't too much about kitchens...I just enjoyed making them treats again and thought I would do a unique KAW!!

Comments (11)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Cute babies! I guess this is one cookie where you're not tempted to nibble the raw dough.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

dcward89-What's your recipe please.I have a venison liver in the freezer that would be perfect for my boy's treats. Thanks, Laura

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This is a perfect KAW post! Nothing makes me smile as much as a cute pup, unless it's an adorable baby! Love getting to see your cute little pupsters.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sixtyohno...here ya go...

1 lb liver (chicken, beef, venision, whatever)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups corn meal mix
    1/2 cup dry milk
    2 Tbs molasses

Whiz it all up in the food processor, spread on a greased cookie sheet and cook at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes.

I flip it out onto a big cutting board and cut it into squares with a pizza wheel. Depending on how big you cut them, it usually makes 3 sandwich bags full and I freeze them until I use up the current bag.

My pups LOVE them. Hope yours do too!!

Edited to add that I have used 1/2 as much regular milk when I was out of dry milk. I know not everyone keeps dry milk on hand. It worked fine...maybe a little crunchier but they didn't complain.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 16:32

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Sounds so delicious (for a dog.) Now if I can just face looking and touching this huge hunk of liver in my freezer. I should have cut it in pieces before I froze it. Yuck.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

That is great - I might need to make some for my DB Mimsey.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

It seems like the new kitchen will match the pups?

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Your pups are adorable! Thank you for the recipe. I've been thinking this is the way to go. Latest report 1000 animals died from tainted dog treats from China~ just last month. I had no idea that treats were made in China it's not easy anymore to figure out where things are made.

Thanks again!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

your dogs are adorable! i have been dying to make some dried liver of some sort for the reason gr8day mentioned. this might sound silly but i can't find liver in my grocery store. where do you find it?

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gr8day...I am very careful to not purchase anything for my pups made in China. On another thread I was called racist (do people even know what that means anymore?) for that but I don't care. I won't take that chance with one of my babies. My two and every dog I've made them for absolutely love them so I hope all the GW dogs love them too!!!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ardcp...I buy it at my local grocery store, Giant Eagle, but I can only get it frozen. It's in the frozen foods in the section where you can buy frozen chicken fingers and such.