Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange spots on Carrara Marble--Is this Normal?

Posted by mommytoty (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:10

We are in the final stages of building a home (we move in this Friday!) and although the "White Carrara Marble Extra" has been installed on my kitchen counters for a few weeks, they've been covered up with a brown paper the whole time for protection. They finally took the paper off and I am noticing tiny orange-rust colored spots in a couple areas (not everywhere uniformally). Are these spots normal to this type of marble or are these stains of some sort?? If these are stains, can they be removed?

Here is a close up picture:

photo 7DAF1195-069A-4654-A817-42EFB3AA0B9B_zpsvmvahqh4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange spots on Carrara Marble--Is this Normal?

High iron content on the slab. It's rust. And it will continue to rust, especiallyif moistened.

o

Bill Vincent, our Kitchens Forum resident stone and tile expert (who hasn't been on in a while - we miss him), said in an old thread "cheap carrara is notorious for having iron deposits in it, and those iron deposits can and will begin to rust after a time, causing yellow or orange rust stains."

However, I do not know how you are supposed to know whether you have bought the cheap carrara or not. I know people have carrara marble in their kitchens for years, even decades, without rusting. Anyway, here is another thread where someone posted their solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Older Thread about Carrara Marble and Rust

o

Drill 'em and fill 'em if they bother you that badly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here