Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alder or birch for dark-stained cabinets?

Posted by sungreen (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 14:07

We are building a house, and I have been soaking up all the wonderful information and beautiful kitchens on here that I can! We have a choice between alder and birch cabinets in our kitchen, and we want a dark stain on them. We just aren't sure whether to go with birch or alder. I can't seem to find much information about birch cabinets. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alder or birch for dark-stained cabinets?

Does one of them have more of an obvious grain pattern in them than the other? If so, that would probably be my deciding factor-do you want the wood grain to stand out or not?

o

I designed a kitchen for someone using alder wood with a java stain. The cabinets were absolutely gorgeous. The wood took the stain beautifully (must better than the dark stains I have seen on Maple)

o

We just installed Alder cabs on our perimeter with a light stain (that I think looks more medium). Our GC then replaced our window frames with Alder, and stained to match. It is not the knotty Alder. You can find the finished pics by searching for 'Quartz', and a Finished KM thread will pop up.

But, while you will read on some previous Alder threads about concerns over the softness of Alder (yes, it is soft), this wood creates such a warm, buttery, soft feel that we are loving!

I have no idea what a darker stain might do to the overall feel/look of Alder. We did use a stained maple for the island, which we use much more than the perimeter. I am finding myself happy that the island wood is a bit more durable since we do bang things around a bit more.

o

Janka Hardness Scale

Sweet Birch 1470

Sugar Maple 1450

Cherry 950

Alder 590

o

Alder stains better (more evenly, easier) than birch, which would be an issue if you are staining it dark.

Technically it's "softer", but unless you are putting it on a floor, it's not much of an issue. Are you prone to whacking your cabinetry with a hammer?

o

Technically it's "softer", but unless you are putting it on a floor, it's not much of an issue. Are you prone to whacking your cabinetry with a hammer?

There is no "technicality". It is softer.

A better question is will it ever be hit with something harder than wood? A metal object perhaps?

Or do you live in a fantasy land where accidents don't happen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here