Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Gorgeous vintage Magic Chef

eam44
9 years ago

I found this on Cleveland's CL. Isn't it wonderful? I think I count four ovens and, what, a warming drawer? A bread box? So cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: CL

Comments (10)

• zeebee
    9 years ago

I JUST sold mine, which was identical, on a vintage-range forum. There are two ovens - the main one on the left, and the second of the four compartments on the right. The top compartment on the right is a bread warmer/warming drawer which gets heat when the small oven below it is on; below that is a broiler, and the bottom drawer is storage.

There are six burners underneath the cover.

It's a great range if you have the space and aren't an exacting cook; the oven temps are much harder to control than on a newer, better-insulated range.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks zeebee. It's nice to get a tour! How clever of them to separate the broiler and the oven. It's just lovely. I'm glad to know yours found a home :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous, and I think the price is right. I wonder if it's in good working order? From the photos it looks clean enough.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True, there's a little rust on some of the grates but I think it does work. Can you imaging a six burner stove, broiler, and double ovens for $650? If my home were older I'd go for it, but it's MCM, no way I could swing it. The little round coil cooktops that replaced these awesome pieces would be more appropriate.

There's also a listing for an Elmira piece that needs refurbishing, but still super cool....

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Love the tour, neat to see. Keep posting these finds EAM44.

Zeebee - must ask, how did it perform?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>the oven temps are much harder to control than on a newer, better-insulated range.

FWIW, one of the things I've learned from following links posted here in the past is that it's pretty simple to reinsulate these ovens. You can buy the mineral wool that was used and do it yourself. It's true that most of these old ranges have very poor insulation now, but that's largely because over so many years, most of the old insulation has packed down into the bottom of the wall cavities. Someone here (Fori, maybe?) did a complete gas range restoration at home.

That's a fabulous range, EAM44. Thanks for posting it.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My pleasure!

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Zeebee - must ask, how did it perform?

Sorry, saw this late.

Well.....granted, our range was part of the house when we purchased and the prior owner did very little cooking; she wanted the range for looks over function. It needed insulation badly, plus both ovens needed to be recalibrated. The small oven seemed to cook at 450 degrees all the time, which is great for frozen pizza but not much else. The big oven held a more consistent temperature but was accurate to within about 25 degrees, no less. The burners did a good simmer but not great on high heat. The problem was finding someone to work on it - any repair place heard "1930s range" and said goodbye. The nearest restoration place was way up in New England - Vermont? Maine? NH?

Plus the six burners are deceiving - they were set in 30 or 31" of space, so you could only use any three at a time in a V pattern, or else there was a constant battle of pan handles. And the oven stack on the right also limited placement of pans (no handles could swing in that direction).

I liked the range as a showpiece - everyone who walked in the kitchen complimented it - but it wasn't great for a cook.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know. I tend to idealize beautiful things and handsome men :)

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

Zeebee - What was the website for the vintage range forum? Thank you!