Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen layout help request- new construction.

Posted by Kimbunny (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 14:03

Hi! I've been doing loads of reading here as we've been planning our new home build. I have a rough layout that I was hoping to get some feedback on- feedback of any kind! We're a family of 6, children are 6-12, and we have lots and lots of company. I homeschool, so I'm home all day, and I cook 2-3 meals a day. The lot we're building on is narrow, so the kitchen is about as wide as it can get. I'm really short, so upper cabs are of little use to me. I'd like to carve out a little space for a second sink (mostly for drinks) but I can't see anywhere for it. The cabinets next to the fridge are 1' deep full height. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen layout help request- new construction.

Not sure why no one has gotten to you, might be they want more info- there is a sticky - someone will point you to the one they like. I just made some assumptions based on your post. While I'm not a big fan of bar sinks worked out a way to get one-I prefer prep sinks and would consider getting one in the island, could then double as a bar sink.

Put a few notes on the plan. You may benefit from moving that bank of windows about an inch or so to the right BUT that needs to cleared with the architect. Fenestration (windows) should relate to the exterior façade.

Assumed insets because of the 13 wall cabinets but I know it could be something else. To properly design a kitchen we have to know if inset, overlay, framed, frameless.

With a new build I suggest you either make yourself a pest here, with the architect, or find a KD you like who-you like/trust, has cabinets that suit your budget and will work on new construction.

o
RE: Kitchen layout help request- new construction.

Read the "new to kitchens..." thread posted by buehl. It floats around on page 1 or 2. Read that one NOT the sticky note. The links are all broken in the sticky, not in the floater.

One thing is we need to see more of your plan to see how the kitchen relates to the other rooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here