Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ikea and Corian?

Posted by ericajayne3 (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 13:59

I am in the design phase of my new-build kitchen, and have been planning on using Ikea medium brown and off-white cabinets and honed Vermont Imperial Danby counters. Because of both cost and maintenance (I have two messy toddler boys) I am reconsidering the marble. I have explored so many alternatives, but can't find an alternative that appeals to me - aside from Glacier White Corian. However, I am so fearful that the Corian and Ikea cabinets will look cheap together (neither is a standout "star" that can elevate the other). I intend to use a calacatta tile backsplash, but am wondering from anyone that has either Corian or Ikea cabinets (or both together would be great!) what your thoughts are about how they read.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ikea and Corian?

I just looked through Houzz and IKEA Fans and although I couldn't find your medium brown IKEA cabs with your particular Corian choice I did see kitchens that had IKEA and corian. They looked great!

I was thinking though it should also depend on what you want to stand out in your kitchen if anything. I think a kitchen should be a strictly utilitarian room so I don't want a stand out star, but I know many do. If you don't think either are particularly flashy maybe you can go with some fancier lighting to liven things up.

o

I'm in the process of redoing a kitchen in a second home. We put in IKEA ADEL Beach cabinets and the counters are a Caesarstone (Dreamy Marfil), which is a creamy color with a little bit of veining (it reminds me of the limestone we have in our basement kitchen at home). I have all custom cabinets in our main house, and quite honestly, I think the IKEA cabs are great. I wanted a sleek look for this kitchen, so didn't want a busy granite. I also need counters that can take heat, so corian was not an option (the countertops in this kitchen were actually a white corian before we pulled them up, and they had a lot of marks from hot pans/plates).

Have you considered one of the silestone, caeserstone or other man-made products? I never liked the speckly ones, but I was surprised at the options now.

I also think the backsplash, lighting, flooring, paint color, etc all make a huge difference in the total effect of the space. It's like putting on a basic black dress. If I wear flip flops and no make up, it's not a very impressive look. :-) If I wear nice shoes, make-up, and jewelry my 17-year-old might be seen with me.

It's so easy to get caught up in "high-end" everything, and then question whether your kitchen will look bad by comparison!

I know there are Corian fans on GW, so hopefully some will weigh in. For me it works just fine in a bathroom (except where aforementioned teenager left her flat iron on and left a slight burn mark--which someday I will buff out), but I'd be worried about the abuse it would take in my kitchen!

o

At least my IKEA here has very good prices on Silestone or Caesarstone, uusally a special for around 60.00/sqft. Last time, it included a fairly solid white and a solid cream like limestone.

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here