Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekatiel

Anyone have cherry stained cabinets w/ new venetian gold granite?

ekatiel
15 years ago

Hi Guys-- I'm new here. My husband and I are building a home right now, and I got all freaked out at the design center when it came to kitchen choices. I really like cherry stained cabinets-- the ones I chose were actually a maple cabinet with a sugar beet stain. I chose New Venetian Gold granite to go with them, but now I'm not 100% sure about that choice. I would prefer to go with a lighter granite-- does anybody have any recommendations of what may go well? I also need back splash and floor tile help!! I'm a mess, really! Here are the selections we chose at the design center-- my hubby is holding it all up so I could get a pic. I'm thinking I don't really like the back splash or floor tile anymore (I'm supposed to go back and finalize my decisions this week!). I think the tiles are too small for the back splash, and the colors are too bright??!! One more thing-- we currently have distreesed pine kitchen furniture (the stool that the granite is resting on is actually our stool)-- Is our furniture going to look ok with cherry stained cabinets? What do you guys think?

Comments (19)

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

our kitchen-cherry perimeter cabs w/ paprika stain, island is maple w/ linen glazed finish, granite is Giallo venziano (looks like yours)

{{gwi:1496083}}

• susan4664
    15 years ago

I love the cabinet color and, although I'm not a big fan of small backsplash tiles, I think the colors in them look gorgeous with the stain on the cabinets. I really love the way the darker tiles pick up the red in the wood.

I am not crazy about the granite, though. It has a lot of gold that does not seem harmonious with the colors in the cabinets and backsplash. The pattern is busy as well, and with the variance in the backsplash there's a lot going on. I think a granite like Giallo Ornamental, which is lighter with a calmer pattern, along with some garnet pieces to pick up the red, would look great!

Good Luck!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

I must add, after seeing this post-our cabinets are darker than they appear in these pics -much more like yours look

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Oh, pattiem93, where did you get your stools? I really like them, have been looking for something like that.

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

Ekatiel, I understand what you are going through . My 19 year old kitchen has nice dark cherry cabinets and I just picked out a granite to replace my very light formica countertops with. I knew I wanted to go warmer in tone but did not want to get too dark. I looked at venetian gold and several others that I thought would have some light, creamy background colors along with the deeper, rich browns and golds to go with my cabinets. I ended up choosing a granite called El Dorado. Here is a pic with my cabinet door next to it.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I love the cabinets! The problem is that the granite looks good with the cabs, but not with the backsplash, and it's not bad but not great with the floor. So, at least on my monitor, it looks like either the granite or the other two elements need to be changed. I don't mind the mix of woods at all, but I'm sure there are other GWers who would feel differently. Pretty kitchen, Pattiem. Some of the white quartzites would be pretty, maybe some of the colonial creams.

• ekatiel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the input, guys! PattieM93-- Your kitchen is beautiful-- just what I'm looking for! I think You guys are right: either the back splash/tile has to go or the granite has to go. I'm thinking I need to go down to the design center again and see what my other options are. I'm going to write down the granite names you guys have suggested. If I were to stick with the granite and cabinets, what do you guys suggest for the back splash and floor tiles? Something more muted? Thanks so much for your help!

• lsst
    15 years ago

Our cabinets are a Maple with Brandywine finish but look like a darker stained cherry. Our granite is New Venetian Gold.
    {{!gwi}}

• lsst
    15 years ago

I had a hard time choosing a back splash that did not clash with the granite.

If you go with a black granite or a more solid color granite, you would have more choices with the back splash.

If you choose the New Venetian Gold, I suggest a more neutral back splash.

What I like about the New Venetian Gold and a darker red/burgandy stain cabinet is that the granite has a garnet red flake yet is still a light granite. The red garnet brings out the red in the cabinets.

I choose this granite as the red matches the cabinets and it also has gold, black and white. I chose black appliances and white trim. My walls are a pale gold. It all blends together well.

• susan4664
    15 years ago

Here are my dark cherry cabinets, with similar backsplash as 1sst, but with a dark green granite (Peacock Green). I also have black appliances.

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

We have cherry cabinets with Vyara Extra granite. It is a medium color with lots of veining that we love.

Here is a picture.

• ekatiel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Guys, I went back to the design center today and here are some new choices:
    Tumbled Marble Subway Tile Emperador Brown:

The tumbled marble also comes in 4"X4".

OR Tumbled travertine 4"X4" Chocolate color:

I emailed the designer to ask of the trvertine came in subway tiles, too. Hopefully, she will get back to me soon.

My pics of the floor tile did not come out great this time, but here is is with two different carpet choices (in the design center it was almost identical to the carpet on the right, but in the pic it looks identical to the carpet on the left!):

Also, I came across this REALLY pretty mosiac tile (I have NO idea how much any of this costs, I've put in an email to the designer to see!). I was thinking of getting one of the 4"X4" tiles (either the marble or the travertine) as the backsplash and then having them put one of these mosaic tiles centered over the stove cooktop. What do you guys think? Here's a pic of the mosaic tile:

If the mosaic is too expensive, then I think I may go with subway tiles for the backsplash. I think the subway tiles would look wierd with the mosaic. Let me know what you guys think! You have been really helpful so far! Thanks so much!

• lisa_sandiego
    15 years ago

Have you thought about using your granite for the backsplash as well?

• ekatiel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa Sandiego: I'm not sure that's an option for us (we are building through a standard builder, so it's not a custom home). I think we could get granite tiles for the backsplash, but not a straight slab. Thanks for the extra idea.

• User
    15 years ago

I know how much the flash sometimes changes the color values, but at least on my monitor, both backsplashes look good but slightly off (which is why I figure it is the lighting). I think the mosaic thingy could be great. I think the colors all are in the family and would work well together.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Ekatiel, i'm using NVG with cabs that are a Merlot *stain*, but the color looks a lot like a deep cherry. I didn't want a continuous granite backsplash, because it's too much granite for me personally. I went with a tile similiar to the color of the subway tile you posted~it's called Castle Cream, is NOT cream, but a warm tan. The tile is 6" and laid on the diagonal, with another cut in half and used as the top border. I didn't want a complete tile backslash either, so still have wall space to use a contrasting paint, or hang a few decorative items.

I DO like the tile you've chosen in your initial post, but feel it fights with the granite. You want one or the other to be the point of interest, not both. Hope i've helped. ;o)

• lene2247
    15 years ago

I have dark chery cabinets and VG granite, black appliances. My question is for Susan, what cabinet knobs did you use? It seems they have a shiny finish that I prefer over the wrought iron I have been looking at

• darkfiber
    13 years ago

ekatiel - I realize this post is a couple yrs old but if you are still out there I would be interested in knowing if you went with the Sugarbeet cabinets. If so, would you mind providing pictures? I am also considering these cabinets through our builder.

• Earline Gaddy
    2 years ago

What wall paint colors and flooring go with current venetian gold countertops and maple cabinets