Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vintage buffet repurposed into island

Posted by ccoombs1 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 13:53

I needed an island in my craft studio. I found one the size I needed at Ikea, but it was $400 and only had open shelving. Well, I bought the butcher block top from them, and then started searching for a buffet or dresser that would work with it.

After a couple of weeks looking at local antique auctions, I found the perfect vintage buffet. It's strong, the drawers work great and it's solid wood....something that's rare in modern furniture. And it was only $85.

I found the legs on Ebay and the stainless hardware at Ikea. I painted the whole thing white, built the overhang part just like you'd build a tiny table with the proper leg braces and everything.

For less than $250, I have a perfect counter-top high island.

photo craftisland1_zps0068f297.jpg
 photo craftisland2_zpsb4fbca04.jpg
 photo craftisland3_zps8121c6d9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vintage buffet repurposed into island

Nice project! You scored on the butcherblock - they're discontinuing that.

o

they discontinued the countertop thickness butcherblocks, but not the island tops which are thinner. I was really upset when I got there and learned that bit of bad news because I had planned on using them for the rest of the countertops in that room too. I wasn't happy about that, but I think it will be fine. this top has two steel reinforcement strips on the back side.

o

Very nice!

o

It looks great!

o

That's awesome! I love the character of the buffet piece. Nice job.

o

so beautiful! great job and what a find on that buffet! i love that you had a vision and found a way to make it work:)

o

WHat a great idea! It is beautiful.

o

thanks everyone. I love the amount of workspace this island provides. the top is 39" x 59" and it's perfect for the size of the room.

o

Great ingenuity! You've created a nice custom piece and likely inspired a lot of folks here to do something similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here