Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

knob location

dlr98004
13 years ago

We are doing knobs on both drawers and doors. On cabinet doors, I've seen knobs centered at the bottom of the stile/rail; equal to bottom rail; and about 2" up from bottom rail. What is most popular location for cabinet knobs?

On drawers, at what point do you put 2 knobs instead of just one? Drawers 30" and wider? Drawers 33" and wider?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments (3)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

It's really personal preference.

Either one pull or two on wider drawers.

Vertically centering the pulls on the drawer, placing them on the rail, or placing them a fixed distance from the top of the drawer.

All are fine... So the question is, what do you like and want?

In my case, I put two pulls on drawers > 30" and I centered them on the drawer.

Some people think raising them above will make them look more centered when looking down...but that's not actually true...well not totally. It's like trying to line up shelves in a cabinet with glass doors... If you try to center/line them up from your perspective, they'll be off center/misaligned for anyone shorter or taller than you!

This is one of the reasons I think it's best to center on the drawer itself...that way it's consistently done on all drawers using something that would sit well for everyone "emotionally".

Oh, and some people are afraid that if they put two pulls on a drawer that means they cannot open it with one hand...not true! As long as you have decent drawer hardware, you can use one or two hands w/o hurting the hardware or the alignment.

• vate
    13 years ago

For doors, we have knob style handles, and I centered them on a virtual line extending from the top of the rail, and centered left/right on the stile. I think these look the most natural, but as buehl said, it is personal preference. The key thing is to do them *the same* for all doors and the same for all drawers, in terms of centering and placement.

I built three custom drilling templates, one for each side of the doors (left and right) and one for the drawer centers. This ensured I drilled the hole in the same place every time. I also clamped a piece of scrap wood on the back of the door when I drilled to avoid chip out.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Here's what we did (a picture can be worth more than a thousand words!)

First, knobs on doors (I forgot to talk about them earlier!)

Now, some drawers showing one & two pulls on them. BTW...I have pulls on all drawers and knobs on all doors + the two 6" pullouts flanking my cooktop.

3-drawer, 24" wide drawers:

33" wide drawers: