Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pantry cabinet question

Posted by rjkidwiler (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 13:51

Hi - my current design has a 48 inch wide pantry with 2 lower and 2 upper 24 inch wide doors. The designer is suggesting that the interior be partitioned at 36 and 12 inches, with the 12 inch part to be used for broom storage, etc. the 36 inch part would have a pull out shelf unit. My question is - wouldn't it be a pain to have to open both doors when we need to get into the pantry? Is there an alternative design that would be better? Thanks for any help or ideas you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pantry cabinet question

Can you store the brooms in some other closet somewhere or the garage, under a bed? A pantry is for food in my thinking.

o

Hmmm, I don't know that I'd really want the brooms, dustpans, etc. in the same closet as food. I'd try to avoid that if possible. Can you do a 12" broom closet and then a separate 36" pantry?

There are alternatives to opening both doors - you could do where you have drawers that fit in an 18" cabinet and roll outs for each side...but you do loose a good bit of space with the additional shelving. You can do full pantry roll-outs...these can get to be surprisingly pricey from my experience in looking at them, but the unit attaches to the door and the whole door pulls forward brings some or all of the contents forward at the same time.

I think it really depends on how you plan on using things and how often you will be in your pantry. I've minimized my opening and then pulling in the rest of my kitchen by using mostly drawers...the pantry, I stayed a little more "traditional" in opening two doors. I looked at the pull outs and I just wasn't feeling them...although they work great for some people.

o

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback. I have decided not to worry about the broom closet and put broom/mop/etc. in a different closet that is not too out of the way. That way I can use the full space for the pantry. Don't know why I didn't just think of that myself!

o

We had a similar dilemma and it happened that our pantry was situated right next to our mudroom, with a non-load bearing wall separating the two (so if I stare directly at the pantry, and hold out my arm to one side, my arm stretches into the mudroom).

The solution for us was to build a broom closet into the mudroom right through the wall, so the back of it abutted the side of the pantry. We lost a few inches of the pantry, but it was an excellent use of space and it actually made the pantry look better, as it decreased the width and gave a little relief between the edge of the pantry and the start of the wall.

We also had much less than 48" to work with (so our broom closet is not as deep as you're proposing, etc.), but thought the concept may be of interest to you. Here's a pic:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here