Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door styles with non-mitered corners

Posted by ekbecker1 (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 13:48

I am looking at painted maple doors with recessed panels that have a little bit of detail at the edge of the recess. I have read here on GW and been advised by one KD that door styles with a mitered corner will show more splitting in a painted finish that those with vertical joints (I think they're called mortise and tenon?).

So now I've been trying to limit my door selection to those without mitered corners. However, it appears that the applied moulding that is added to the recessed edge is always mitered. One KD told me that having the mortise and tenon joint on the frame and the mitered joint on the applied moulding will cause the 2 types of joints to swell and contract at different rates and cause more splitting than if both parts were mitered.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door styles with non-mitered corners

Have done lots of painted rail and stile with applied moldings for many years without incident. They may open at the miter of the molding a bit more seasonally but distance is very short so would be surprised, certainly have never had a complaint. I will not sell mitered door with paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here