Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gpraceman55

Our Kitchen Remodel Journey

gpraceman55
10 years ago

We bought our house last summer and are about ready to undertake a major remodel of our kitchen, so I thought that I might chronicle the journey. Below are photos of our kitchen currently. Very builder basic. Honey oak cabinets with center stiles (DW hates the stiles). Small island. Laminate counters. Wasted space called a desk. Cheap appliances. Dated builder basic pendant over the kitchen table. Poor lighting layout. Pony wall that catches clutter. Only one way in/out of the kitchen.

Comments (94)

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

@javachik - Yes, they are red oak.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got an unexpected call this morning. The granite is ready to go in today, instead of tomorrow. That means that we could have a functional kitchen tonight!

Of all things, the granite has had me the most nervous. That is probably since it is the thing that I have had the least control over in this project. Reading and seeing photos of poorly fitting and mismatched joints and gaps between walls and cabinetry certainly has not helped. I just had pray and trust DW's intuition that all would work out fine.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Oh, how exciting that your granite is ready to go in early!!! I hope everything goes smoothly for the install.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Great work, I feel your pain, but it will be done. We just finished the same painstaking journey. Stick with your guns, get what you want and get cooking.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Great work, I feel your pain, but it will be done. We just finished the same painstaking journey. Stick with your guns, get what you want and get cooking.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, there's good and bad with the countertop install. They miscut the island countertop when trying to notch out for the column. Mistakes happen, but the joint is far from acceptable. Fortunately, we didn't have any hassle with the fabricator about it. They told us to go pick out another slab and they will rush cutting us a new counter. So, tomorrow we hit the stone yards in hopes of finding another slab we like. Sadly, we have to wait to have our kitchen fully functional as we cannot install the cooktop or vent hood yet.

The perimeter counters fared better, but there were challenges. The sink cabinet was not properly leveled by the cabinet installers, so the two pieces of granite that meet in the middle of the sink were well off of each other, height wise. I had to do some quick adjusting of the cabinet to get it to all work out. The two pieces came from different slabs and they were noticeably different thicknesses. Fortunately, the installers were able to grind down the thicker slab to blend them together better.

The joint by the sink is not noticeable unless you go looking for it. The joint near the corner is more noticeable due to the grain pattern difference, but it is something that we can live with.

With the perimeter counters in, I was able to get the faucets and disposal air switch all hooked up. We have a mostly functional kitchen now. We can go ahead and start moving stuff into the perimeter cabinets.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went to several different stone yards Monday and really did not find a slab that we like. That is disheartening. We might have to wait until more inventory arrives.

We still have to move forward. So, I have been working on the fireplace mantel for the family room. The structure for the surround is built. Soapstone tiles have been cut and dry fitted for the inlays into the columns and frieze. The square tiles in the frieze were going to be fully inlaid, but once I put them in part way to test fit, DW and I really like them sticking out a bit. There are several pieces of molding to still go up, but I need to first hang the soapstone tiles around the firebox. The tiles will overlap the firebox a bit, like the old tiles did. Once it is primed and painted to match our trim, I think we will have a really nice and unique fireplace surround.

• seosmp
    10 years ago

It's looking good! I too am in search of slabs that I like and am running into low inventory as well.

I had a couple questions, if you don't mind.

How far did you pull your sink out (what is the distance from the face of the cabinet to the outside edge of the sink)? I plan on doing the same think. You had to have it installed before they did the template, correct?

What edge did you go with, and how much is your overhang?

Thanks!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The sink sticks out 2-1/2". If you page up to the sink photo, you will see the edge that goes against the face frame giving that 2-1/2". The sink did need to be in place before they measured for the counters.

We went with a 1/2 bullnose edge, as we wanted a soft edge. Also, uur last home had counters with a full bullnose and any liquid spills would get onto the face of the cabinets and even into drawers. With the 1/2 bullnose the liquid should drop straight to the floor.

The overhang is the standard 1-1/2".

• seosmp
    10 years ago

Such a quick response -- thanks! That helps!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still working on the fireplace surround, but I thought that I would take a diversion and get the UCL installed. I think that it turned out pretty well and they seem plenty bright to me.

Total cost was $161. I used Armacost brand LED strips from Home Depot. Needed parts were the 30W power supply, 12ft LED tape, 18 gauge CL2 rated speaker wire, snap connectors for the LED tape, wire connectors, terminal strip and jumpers, and aluminum flat bars. I could have done without the aluminum bars, but it made mounting easier. The 12ft of LEDs was perfect for our needs, as I had just a little left over.

First, cut the LED tape so there is a maximum number of LED's to fit under each particular cabinet. Then cut the aluminum bars a bit shorter, so the snap connectors can fit over the tape ends. Peel off the LED tape backing and press onto the corresponding bar. Attach pieces of heavy duty double sided tape to the back of the bars. Using a 3/4" wide wood strip as a spacer, adhere the bars under the corresponding cabinets. The spacer makes placement easier and puts the LED's about 1-1/4" from the front edge of the cabinet frame. That distance works out well, as there is no shadow of the front edge being cast onto the counter. To make sure that polarity of the strips would not be an issue, all strips where mounted so the writing on the strips were all in the same orientation with respect to the front edge of the cabinet.

{{gwi:1851425}}

Before the cabinets went in, I installed an outlet above one cabinet, controlled by a switch. It is hidden by the crown molding. Plugged into that is the 30W power supply. The output side is connected to a terminal strip which allows connection of the two LED runs. Speaker wire runs behind the wall and to the bottom of the upper cabinets flanking our window.

{{gwi:1851426}}

The two upper cabinets were notched around the speaker wires. That is the only modification of the cabinets that was required in this whole install. Bullet connectors attach the speaker wire to the first LED strip in the run.

{{gwi:1851427}}

Snap connectors for the LED tape daisy chain the strips together. Once the light rail is installed, any wire hanging down a bit will be hidden.

{{gwi:1851428}}

Though, after bending over backwards to mount these strips, I may need to get DW to give me a good back massage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armacost LED Lighting

This post was edited by gpraceman on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 20:25

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No news on the granite for the island, unfortunately. The stone yard was expecting to get more Crema Bordeaux in, but the shipment has been delayed. We bought a hot plate, so we can at least get back to regular cooking in the kitchen.

On Monday, the cabinet installers will be finally coming back to finish off things. They delivered replacement doors and the missing moldings on Friday.

DW has been getting stuff moved into the cabinets. It is so nice to have the extra storage space, compared to the old layout.

I got the fireplace surround done for the family room. I think it turned out pretty well. Soapstone tiles surround the firebox and are inlaid into the surround as well. The hearth is a slab of soapstone.

The next thing to work on is the backsplash.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

gpraceman, I enjoyed reading your journey today and am looking forward to the rest of it. I especially appreciated the detailed info about installing the undercounter lighting. The kitchen is coming along fantastically well.

• maxee123
    10 years ago

This is so interesting to me. Especially since I have very recently installed creme de Bordeaux countertop. Waiting for backsplash tiles to arrive. Took forever to find the perfect tile, but I think I did. From Fireclay, the Butter Toffee 3x6, handmade debris series, is a perfect match for my countertop, cream cabinets and Saltillo floor. Love seeing your countertop, makes me really appreciate mind even more. However, I did not work hard enough to make the seams as seamless as possible, but I still love it!
    Thanks again for your detailed journey!

• azmom
    10 years ago

Your fireplace is awesome! The soapstone is stunning, the inlaid is brilliant. You did a beautiful job on the surrounding.

Thank you for the detailed instructions of installing under cabinet lighting. I saved your instructions for future reference.

Looking forward to the upcoming progress.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the under cabinet lighting, I did a better write up of that at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0620295110811.html.

@azmom - I'm glad that you like the fireplace surround. We definitely wanted something unique, with a Craftsman Style look to it. The inlay idea came from a couple of mantels that I found online while searching for design ideas. We chose the soapstone since it is good at absorbing heat and will radiate it back after the fireplace is turned off. That and we liked the way it looked.

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

gpraceman: I just posted a response to your helpful feedback on my thread about patch/paint after demo and noticed this thread right after!
    I loved reading about your remodel journey so far; you ( and your DW) have done a fantastic job. The soapstone for the fireplace is gorgeous, your cabinets go so well with the Crema Bordeaux and I'm really impressed with your obvious patient and calm attitude about the whole remodel, any glitches included. I admire your DIY skills ( as I do the skills of so many others on this forum) - we are, sadly, not as handy-minded now as we used to be!
    Thank you for posting all those pics and links; I've bookmarked your thread for future reference( our cabinets will arrive in mid-July).

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cabinet installers came today and wrapped up things. All of the crown and light rail molding is up. Island is skinned out, decorative panels installed and baseboard molding on. They also replaced the 3 doors that had issues.

Yesterday, DW and I started on the backsplash. We got the sink wall nearly done. It was getting too late and our neighbors would not have appreciated a noisy tile saw running, so we called it a night. Hopefully, we will be able to get the rest of the tile hung tonight and grout tomorrow. I thought that mosaic tile would be easier to deal with, but it makes it harder to do the cutouts for the outlets. DW is liking how it is looking so far, so that is all that matters. Happy wife = happy life

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DW and I got the rest of the backsplash up last night. I was afraid that the linear mosaic would look too modern in what is basically a traditional kitchen, but I think that it looks just fine. Today we will get it all grouted.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Wow looks really nice. Especially love the soapstone fireplace

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is the 4th of July. We thought that we'd be done by now. Oh well. We are at least still making progress.

The backsplash has been grouted, sealed and caulked, so it is now done. With the switch plates on, it turned out as we had hoped. The mosaic and color variations of the travertine gives the backsplash some character, but it doesn't appear to compete with the granite, at least to us. I think that it is good that the only accent on the backsplash are the switch plates. Trying to work in the accent tiles that we liked would have been too much.

I installed the cabinet hardware yesterday. All doors got knobs and all drawers, including the trash pullout, got handles. It was a bit unnerving to be drilling holes in our new cabinets. I built a couple of jigs to make sure that the holes were consistently placed. The drawer jig put the holes at the right height, but I would double and triple check my measurements for center of the drawer width-wise. The screws for the handles were too short so I had to hunt around to find the right size. I finally found some at Ace Hardware.

The next task is the kitchen window sill. Fortunately, the cabinet installers left all of the extra molding they didn't use. I hope to use a piece of the island baseboard and cut it to be the new window sill. We got a pint of stain from the cabinet maker which can dress up the ends.

The only other thing that we can do until the island granite issue is resolved is to do the baseboard moldings. We will reclaim what we can of the old baseboard (some broke during demo), but we will need to get some more to match.

We are still waiting to hear from the slab yard on when their expected shipment will be available. It is already a week overdue. We cannot do anything about our cooktop, vent hood or pendant lights until the island granite is in.

• azmom
    10 years ago

The backsplash looks wonderful. You and your DW are so talented. Everything falls at the right place in your beautiful kitchen.

Thank you for sharing the info about soap stone absobs heat. I of course also saved your new write up of installing LED lighting, thank you again.

May I ask how you handle the up corner cabinet? Is it possible to post a photo showing the inside of it?

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@azmom - Here's the inside of the corner cabinet. This is intended for our good china, which we don't often use. Other lesser used items will go in there as well. To make the crown molding work out with the differing height of the uppers, it is a 27" wide cabinet instead of the usual 24" wide.

{{gwi:1851435}}

The window sill is in and looks good.

I'll be starting on the baseboard this weekend. After looking closely at the old baseboards, we decided to go with new. The old moldings were beat up and the previous owner did not do a good job getting them painted (runs and drips). It would have taken too much patching and sanding to get them looking good. The old baseboards were 2-1/2" tall but the new baseboards will be 3-1/4". We like the look of taller baseboards and found a "contractor pack" at Lowes that saves us 20%.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:31

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A technician from the cabinet maker came and did some finish touch up where needed. So, the cabinets are now officially completed. Though, we may order and extra pullout for the pantry cabinet.

Baseboards are now installed from the front entry, to the kitchen, family room, coat closet, and powder room. It was rather of a pain getting them cut right to fit around the bullnose corners, even using a commercial marking jig.

We found a blue-gray set of drapes for the sliding glass door. I really did not want to put vertical blinds back up there. Drapes are less convenient than verticals, but we like the looks of them better. The drapes go well with the blueish gray color in the granite. We are also looking at bringing that color into the family room, around the fireplace, to help make both rooms more cohesive.

The hardwood floor guy is coming back on Monday to put on the final clear coat. After a couple of days we will be able to move the refrigerator out of the dining room and into its new home. We will also be able to get all of our furniture put back in place. Though, I think that we are more looking forward to finally having our powder room operational again, as it is the only bathroom on the main floor.

All that will be left is the granite for the island. The slab yard doesn't expect their next shipment to arrive now until July 20. It sure is hard to be patient and wait for that shipment.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last coat of the floor finish is finally done. We can finally get all of our furniture put back where it belongs. Though, we do have to wait a few more days before we can put down any area rugs. We moved the refrigerator into the kitchen from the dining room this morning. Its a novel idea having a refrigerator live in the kitchen instead of another room.

We now have a working bathroom on the main floor. We replaced the old pedestal sink, which I hated, with a small vanity. I took a soapstone remnant and cut, routed and drilled it to be the countertop for it. The hammered copper sink is made from the same company as for our kitchen farmhouse sink. With the soapstone and the copper sink, we are trying to tie the kitchen, family room and powder room all together. I still need to put up a small backsplash for it.

We are still twiddling our thumbs waiting for the slab yard to get more of our granite in.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw another GWer with these custom drawer inserts and decided to get one for our cutlery. It was $35 plus shipping, which seems like a good deal for a custom insert. We just needed to provide them with the inner dimensions of the drawer. Its much nicer than the store bought one that we had which didn't take up enough of the drawer space.

They also custom make up other types of kitchen organizers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Hollow Cabinets

This post was edited by gpraceman on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 16:04

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The slab yard called late yesterday, saying that they had gotten in a small shipment of our granite. We rushed right over there but arrived 15 minutes after they closed. One of the staff was so kind to take us back to see the bundles anyways. We immediately saw a bundle that we liked and put a hold on one of the slabs. Hopefully, our fabricator will expedite things now that we got our slab. We hope to be all finished by next week.

I've done a couple of other tweaks to our kitchen while we've been waiting for granite. One is adding a towel holder under the sink. It is from Rev-a-Shelf and was less than $4.

The other was a pullout for our baking sheets. DW was not as excited about this change, as she loses a bit of storage space in that cabinet, but it makes it easier to access things. This is also from Rev-a-Shelf and wasn't difficult to install. I actually bought it from Amazon, as it was less expensive than through Rev-a-Shelf.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

Did you receive the last slab yet? Can't wait to see the final result.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the fabricator dropped the ball and didn't rush our slab into production like they told us they would do. We thought that we'd have our counters installed as early as Wednesday. Well, Wednesday comes and we hadn't heard anything from the fabricator, so I called them. They hadn't even gotten the slab into production yet. Doh! (Slap to forehead). We got a call back and they said they'd install Saturday.

Surprisingly, the fabricator called this morning and asked if we wanted it installed today. Well, of course!! They came right after lunch and got it fitted. I was making sure they knew just how I wanted it set, as the overhang on the bookshelf side was to be less than the other sides. They did a nice tight fit to the column at the corner of the island. They then did the cooktop cutout. Unfortunately, they did it in the house and even with their vacuum, there was plenty of granite dust thrown around. I knew in advance they would be cutting in place, so I made sure to cover all of the drawer glides with plastic. I had read somewhere on GW that granite dust can cause problems with drawer glides. Anyways, the granite saga is over and we finally have our counters complete!

I didn't tell DW they were coming a day early, so she'd be surprised when she got home from work. I didn't want her to be all distracted at work nor for her to worry about them messing up this counter (which they didn't). Needless to say, she was very happy to walk in and see it done already.

So, this evening I've been working on getting the cooktop, vent hood and pendant lights installed. It only took two trips to Home Depot, which must be a record. We now have a fully functional kitchen (clouds part and angels sing)!

Once we wrap things up, I'll post a reveal.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see it!

• azmom
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting the photo of upper corner cabinet. It looks great.

The vanity in the powder room is a darling. Love the soapstone counter top.

I book marked the custom drawer insert vendor, thank you for sharing so many great tips.

May I ask how and what “plastic” did you use to cover the drawer glides as stated “I made sure to cover all of the drawer glides with plastic”?

Congratulations for getting the granite counter top done. Cannot wait to see your reveal. Please make sure to include photos of baseboard, window sill and granite seams.

You and your DW surely have done a fantastic job in this remodel.

• deedles
    10 years ago

it's all looking really good! Can you tell me how wide is the space for that vertical sheet holder?

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@azmom - I just cut up some drop cloth plastic and taped it over the drawer glides. It was a bit tedious, but those glides are expensive to replace.

@deedles - That pullout fits inside a 12" cabinet. The width of the pullout itself is 8" wide. It has two dividers that come with it. They do also have one that fits inside a 9" cabinet, with one divider. Here's a photo of the 8" wide one from the Rev-a-Shelf website, so you can see it without being crammed with cookie sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Base Cabinet Pullout Tray Divider/Foil Holder

• swfr
    10 years ago

When i say that I love your kitchen, it is a major understatement. I just found this thread today so it's my first time seeing it and I can honestly tell you that it is the #1 kitchen that I have seen on here. I think every single one of your choices is gorgeous!
    Can you tell me more about your sink? I have wondered what I wanted and now I know. I wonder if there is a matching prep sink?
    I am in loooooove. Can't wait to see the final pictures.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@swfr - The farmhouse sink was purchased from Menards on sale for $559. Regularly, it is $699. It is also available from the Home Depot website. Shipping was free, which was an added bonus. Reviews on the Home Depot website were overwhelmingly positive.

The manufacturer, Thompson Traders, do make bar/prep sinks. The sink for our powder room vanity is one that they also made and coordinates well with the kitchen sink.

We do love our copper sinks, but it is taking some getting used to. You do have to make sure that acidic things (tomato products, lemon juice, and even pickle juice) are not left to sit on the finish or you get shiny spots. The patina will return, but it does take some time.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@swfr - Also, the sink does not come with a drain or disposer flange, so that is something that you would also need to get.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you interested in the final reveal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Journey's End - Final Reveal

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

gpraceman - I love how you captured your entire journey! Thank you for sharing! If I'm not mistaken, your cabinets are framed, correct? If so, can you tell me the height of your top drawer fronts, and well as the drawer itself? And do you have the self-closing glides that are mounted on the bottom or on the sides? Thank you!!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they are framed cabinets. The top drawer fronts are 6.5" high. The drawer boxes are 4" high. We do have soft close undermount glides.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's some photos of one of the drawers.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Gpraceman - thank you thank you!!!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing your journey. Love your innovative ideas. You were totally organized!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Gpraceman, a question again about covering the drawer glides with plastic. I am having trouble visualizing this. Do you mean that you pulled out the drawers and taped plastic to the underside? But then you couldn't close the drawer which wouldn't be helpful. And how did you access the lower drawers?

Or did you just stretch plastic across the top and down the front of the drawer cabinets?

My granite is being installed on Tuesday and I don't know how much finishing might have to be done, so I am worried about protecting those soft-close glides.

PS I assume your user name has to do with auto racing, but it would be awesome if you meant cyclocross!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@raee - We removed all of the drawers first and put them in another room. It helps to number these, if you have a lot of them, so you can later figure out what cabinet they go to. Then we cut pieces of drop cloth and taped them over the drawer glide rails inside of the cabinets.

After the granite was installed, we removed the plastic but still made sure to vacuum the glide rails and the insides of the cabinet before putting the drawers back in.

If your sink cabinet has doors on it, you might want to remove them so they don't get granite dust inside of them when the installers drill holes for your faucet, air switch, soap dispenser, etc.

Sorry, but no on auto racing. The name comes from Awana Grand Prix races (like Cub Scout Pinewood Derbies). The kids called me that, since I was the "Grand Prix Race Man". The guy who ran the races and build workshops. I've been helping out with Awana and Cub Scout races for over 15 years now.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 18:36

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    10 years ago

"While we are at it, I wanted to replace the ......"
    "Here it is the 4th of July. We thought that we'd be done by now."

You are officially a member of the remodeler's club!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@lov_mkitchen - Thanks. We've been getting plenty of experience lately.

After we did our kitchen, DW and I helped her parents with their kitchen. We chopped down a knee wall to eliminate a bar counter and make a single height counter, added crown molding to their cabinets, added UCL, painted, and installed a backsplash. They had the cabinets painted and put in granite to finish things off.

Now, my sister-in law wants us to help her with some updates to her kitchen. She is going to use most of our old upper cabinets, which are taller than hers and then she plans on painting them. She also wants to put in some UCL.

• Mary Harris
    8 years ago

PLEASE! Were did you get the larger pendant light with the leaves around it?

• kdcody
    6 years ago

@pgraceman I realize your kitchen remodel was a few years ago but I stumbled upon your blog since we are currently in the middle of our remodel which sounds SO SIMILAR to almost everything you did! I'm just wondering if, after the last few years, you'd use the same UCL??? That is one of the next decisions we have to make and I would like to know if you and your DW still like the ones you chose. Thanks so much!

• gpraceman
    6 years ago

The UCL is still working well for us.