Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

36"/33" or asymmetrical super susan?

brightm
9 years ago

We're getting close to ordering our cabinets. DH would say that I'm looking for things to worry about.

The current plan (A) calls for a 36" super susan in the corner between the sink and fridge. There's 3" that I'm not sure what to do with (have looked at the 3" info I can find, but up for suggestions) between the sink and susan, and a 15" cabinet where trash is planned between susan and fridge. This 'shrunk' from 18 to 15 after a bad initial measure. I'm not thrilled about going from 18 to 15 because with an 18" trash I can put two cans in (trash and recycling). With a 15", I only get one. The recycling would either be under the sink or in a cabinet a ways to the left of the sink.

I got to thinking that I could do an asymmetrical susan and get the 18" back. Then I thought I could go 33" and get a more useable space between the susan and the sink. I've layed out the 4 options I see in the pic that's included.
A) 3"--36"x36"--15"
B) 6"--33"x33"--18"
C) 6"--33"x36"--15"
D) 3"--36"x33"--18"

There's a 33x36 on display at the local HD. It's Kraftmaid and we're going Innermost. But I got to see one at least.

One of my fears with either the 33x33 or asymmetrical ones is that the width of the door shrinks. And the turntable shrinks either way.

One of the benefits that I see with the asymmetrical ones are that there's a wider edge that's not covered by the susan, and I'm looking for somewhere to keep a cutting board or two on that side of the room. (But I just saw an old thread where someone has several cookie sheets and cutting boards in a symmetrical one, so maybe that isn't even a benefit.)

What would you do?

Comments (8)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

How big is your sink cabinet? Can you change it?

I love my super susan - but I only put one in my U-shaped kitchen. The other corner I closed off completely, and put drawers on each side of the corner.

If you did that, you could have a 21" drawer stack (allowing for some filler), and squeeze a 15" trash next to the sink, if you can shrink the sink cab a hair.

I agree that a 36" SS is better than 33". Again, if you could shrink your sink cab a little, you'd have room for a pullout, or a narrow cab for cookie sheets or cutting boards.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sink cabinet is 36. We alternated between 33 and 36. We'd have to go down to 30 to gain enough to do anything with because it's centered under a window, and won't go down that much.

I think I'm leaning toward asymmetrical and going to the 18" trash. Doing something to get a bigger space on the front/sink wall would be a nice-to-have, but getting the 18" so I can get recycling into that cabinet too will save me that space elsewhere. And I like having that extra couple inches along the side of the susan for cutting boards.

I teach math, so I had WAY too much fun calculating/estimating the area on each of the susans, the width of the opening, etc. I scared the KD a bit. I think the opening on the 33 would be about 12.5", on the asymmetrical about 15", and the 36 about 16.5".

I think we're ordering cabinets in two days. Still open to comments.

• huango
    9 years ago

I would do neither.
    I would dead-corner it.
    For my kitchen, I put the trash under the 36" sink.
    I dead-corner 1 corner so I cold put in pull-out drawers.
    You can put a 12" pull out to R of sink.
    and a 24" drawers L of fridge.
    Way more useful than any susan-version.
    I rarely use my blind-corner, compared to my 3-drawers base next to the dead-corner.

Amanda

• mccully
    9 years ago

What did you end up going with? I am considering an asymmetrical super susan as well. I am concerned that I will not be able to easily get my pots and pans out of the cabinet. I am doing it so I can center the sink under the window and still keep a useable 9" cabinet next to the sink for baking sheets.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went with the asymmetrical one, plan D. (Keep 3" fill by sink, get 18" trash with two cans since it was free this month.) The cabinets are on order, so I don't have any opinions yet as to whether this was the best choice, but I don't regret it yet. :) It's still the way I'd choose today.

• dt516
    last year

brightm - curious how this assymetrical susan turned out for you?

• brightm
    Original Author
    last year

Great! No problems at all. Ironically, that house is in escrow and i was just looking at cabinets online this morning for my house. I LOVED my kitchen. It was almost perfect.

• Danielle Gottwig
    last year
    last modified: last year

brightm, May I ask what you stored in the 33/36 asymmetrical susan? Do you find the openings to be large enough for getting items in/out?