Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Room to Install Drawer Pulls, Need Advice

Posted by aba1984 (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 13:41

I would like to install drawer pulls in my kitchen. It's all good until I get to this narrow cabinet (as pictured). I only have 3/8" between the molding/inset and the left edge of the cabinet. I tried the long drawer pulls where you drill two holes, but even the smallest won't fit. I tried installing it lower, but the rule is to have knobs higher up and not at the edge of the cabinet, so that looked awful. This cabinet is only 9" wide.

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Room to Install Drawer Pulls, Need Advice

I'd say ignore "the rule." Your pulls will look perfectly fine in the lower corner :)

o

Never heard of that rule. It looks better lower down.

This post was edited by chinchette on Sun, May 26, 13 at 15:42

o

Put it down in the lower corner.

o

I'd also say just put it lower. Though if you have already installed all others and they are in the same place it might look a little 'off'. If that is the case you may try to make room by shaving some of the wood off to make it fit. But that depends on comfort level in doing it and skill. I personally would want them all in the same location.

o

Leave the knob off and install a touch latch. This type of latch opens when you push on the door, so no exterior knob or pull is required.

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch Latch Examples

o

Sorry, posted the wrong link. Try this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch Latch Examples

o

Great ideas, thanks everyone. I haven't installed anything, just penciled in the spots until I got to that one problem door.

I will think about installing it lower for now, but that touch latch idea is priceless. I'd save about $150 of money with those latches as opposed to knobs. Not as aesthetically pleasing, but I bet buyers will go, "How cool is that?" when they open the doors.

I wonder if you could do that with drawers and lazy susans...

o

What "rule"? You put it where it looks right. The problem with touch latches is you touch the doors. They get grimy pretty quickly, and all that touching will actually start to wear away the finish. If you want all the other knobs higher, you could make this door totally different and put the knob in the middle of the lower rail, or put a horizontal pull in the lower rail.

o

I'd buy the Rev A Shelf hardware to make that into a pullout and install a horizontal pull on the lower rail, centered on teh door. It will be much easier to access the interior and using a pull there will make sense visually and functionally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Pullouts

o

I prefer them in the lower corner. Higher up generally looks odd to my eyes. Especially with a door with a lot of detail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here