Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realhousewifeofnj

Sub-Zero need to make a decision in the next two days

First, I apologize for the cross post, I posted this question in appliances and thought I might get more responses here. I need to make a decision in the next two days. I am trying to decide between the Sub-Zero (in 36") in glass door vs. French door. I love the idea of the glass door, I am a pretty organized neat person and I think it would force me to be even more so and even "stage" my fridge so to speak. Also it is in a long wall of cabinets, 14 feet, and I think the glass would break up the space. On the other hand, I have a counter depth Samsung French Door fridge right now and I do love the functionality of a French Door.

As for space, we have an entertaining kitchen / bar in our basement with a full size refrigerator I use for overflow. (It's only the 3 of us so I only really use it for parties). And we are putting a Sub-Zero beverage center in the new kitchen so that will eliminate a lot of the waters / sodas. We also have a separate wine refrigerator and a commercial beer refrigerator in our downstairs bar so no concern about those as well. So in other words, I don't really need the space and "get away" with a glass door fridge. I think it would be a great addition to my new kitchen, although the practical side of me is holding back. Anyone have this model? Thoughts? THANK YOU in advance!!!

Comments (16)

• jgopp
    9 years ago

I have the French door and I wouldn't change it for the glass door model because you lose the shelving in the door area and I don't really want to show off how many jars of dill pickles and mustard I have in the main area.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Agree with jgopp. I would not want to lose the door shelving and have all the random small jars of stuff on the primary shelves. That would be an inefficient use of space. And the door shelves hold things that could easily get knocked over and break if they were on a regular shelf, like glass bottles of beer.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I would actually get the solid single fridge door version before the French door. I think French doors are great where clearances are tight, but if there is a lot of space, why not a regular door?

• plllog
    9 years ago

LOL! Jgopp, I grew up with glass milk bottles, delivered by the milkman. In the city. :) I think there are some places in the area where there's still a milkman, but it depends on him owning the route. My local Whole Foods has milk in glass bottles, by the quart. I wouldn't want to carry them home, though. :) And I only buy a quart at a time! Besides the trouble of pouring over milk from the less attractive packaging, there's potential for contamination. Luckily, my dairy of choice has pretty enough cartons. That's one less thing to be embarrassed about when a guest opens my fridge. And mine is fully panelled so I don't have to see the clutter when it's closed. :)

Edit: I think the people who buy milk in glass bottles must be the same people who put their staples in glass canisters on high shelves and who use glass containers even in the freezer. I drop my high shelf canisters occasionally, and ditto my freezer containers. I'm thankful for polycarbonate and polypropylene. :)

This post was edited by plllog on Tue, May 20, 14 at 19:58

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it, but that's because we're a big family. If you want to showcase what's in the fridge I guess that would be ok, but to me it would be too much pressure even if I didn't have kids.

Is there another way to break up the cabinet run, such as some glass-fronted cabinets?

Personally I have way more beautiful glassware and china than food, so I'd rather have glass fronted cabinets than a glass fronted fridge.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! You are making my original gut instinct to go with the FD to be the right one. What is it that when it comes to decision time that we keep second guessing ourselves?! I do have several glass cabinets, a double wall oven and a built in micro in that wall of cabinets so it will be broken up. Don't know why I am overthinking it except the pictures I see of the glass door SZ online - it sure is pretty!

Btw, our local Whole Foods sells milk in glass containers. I buy them when I go sometimes because they are from a local dairy and my son claims the milk tastes much better. Come to think of it, if I did have that glass door SZ fridge I think I would need to shop at Whole Foods every week just to make the fridge look good, lol!

Thanks again!

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

The thing about a glass door fridge is that it looks like a creepy cave if the light isn't on in the interior. So if you leave the light on all the time, you are heating up the space all the time you are cooling the same space.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

realhousewife,

Did you say you have a beverage fridge? Does it have a glass door? You can put those cute milk jugs in there if you want them to show.

I actually think that the asthetics of your cabinet run will look nicer without the glass front fridge now that you have explained all the other things that break up that area. With a glass front fridge it might have too much broken-up-ness, so to speak.

What kind of FD fridge are you planning to have, stainless? paneled?

• crl_
    9 years ago

I had milk delivered in glass for a while. I try to avoid plastic and it drives me kind of nuts to buy organic milk in plastic jugs. Sadly the milkman was crazy and I had to discontinue the service.

Anyway, I would hate a glass door refrigerator and would hesitate to get one if resale was a concern at all as I think a lot of people would not like it. Obviously a refrigerator can be fairly easily replaced depending on size, but home buyers don't always think that way.

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Geez where do you guys live that have milkmen? I have a box on the side of my home for it, but I don't think there has been that service here in 30 years.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Southern California and San Francisco Bay Area. :) Milkmen, that is.

The milkman used to come in the house to put his wares right in the fridge. And ask my mother if she didn't just want him to bring the cow. :)

Of course, the delivery model had more currency when the Mom's didn't all have cars, and had small children at home. The milkman, bread man, laundry man (for the sheets and table linens), diaper man (for other kinds of nappery), water man, and ice cream man all came around our neighborhood. Though my father still talks about the ice man whose horse knew the route, :) At which my mother looks prissy and says, ignoring the fact that she's younger than he is, that they always had a refrigerator. :)

Nowadays, we have Amazon fresh delivery. :) And Safeway company...

• crl_
    9 years ago

My milk deliveries were in San Francisco a couple of years ago. We no longer live in the city and I don't know if there is milk delivery here. It was Straus organic milk in glass jugs and incredibly delicious and very expensive. Dd was just one and it was a real luxury to have that delivery service, along with my weekly fruit and veggie box delivery.

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Well isn't that the true luxury experience ha ha. I would have never thought that it was still an option these days. Personal shoppers for the more well to do, and at the farmers markets, but door to door wow. The price must be through the roof!

I guess my sense on dollar to value is a bit different than some. It just seems so 'old school' to me. Not to say that is a bad thing, I'm glad to know that these professions still exist.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I do buy milk in glass bottles from a local dairy at "whole paycheck".
    The funny thing is - they are less expensive at WF than other stores, although a few stores are now matching the WF price - LOL. And they make great ice cream as well- but in a standard container
    The dairy does deliver but unless you have a herd of kids- it is expensive. SE Michigan region.

Even so, I would not want to showcase them with a glass door fridge.
    I like my FD fridge. I find the doors easier to handle than one big door. I think of it as my "pizza oven" refrigerator.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Call me crazy but I love the glass door fridge and wouldn't care what the inside looked like. I feel many refrigerator interiors are over designed -- at least they are for me. I took a look at the FDs at Lowe's the other day and there were so many compartments taking up space in there, I'd have a problem storing food just for the two of us.

The real issue with the glass-door SZ, at least from my perspective, is the cost -- $12K. For a 36" refrigerator. Made in America but yikes. I'm aware because I thought I might have to replace my 10 y.o. Viking a few months back and SZ fits the space. Fortunately, they were able to repair it, again. Tech said I should get 20 years from it so I'll never need to worry about kitchen "transparency." But if I could I would because I think there's a certain wabi sabi aspect to the inside of a fridge.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz