Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail_mb

Does anyone have clear glass pendants with edison bulbs?

abigail_mb
9 years ago

I am agonizing over pendant selection to go over our large kitchen island. Countertops will be off white quartz with subtle veining (pental lattice)...cabinets shaker /white. It is a totally open floor plan so the pendants will really matter to the overall look of the first floor. The look I want is light and airy, transitional/farmhouse.
Anyway, I love the look of various clear glass pendants with Edison/filament bulbs that I have seen on Houzz, Restoration Hardware, Rejuvenation etc. etc.
Unfortunately, I have NOT had the opportunity to see any in person.
I'm worried that "in real life" they might feel too harsh/bare, cause too much glare etc.
Anyone have them? Thoughts?
Thank you!!

Comments (11)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I LOVE the look. They look great in restaurants that I've been to. If they're on a dimmer you can control the light and how bright it is. Keep in mind that this is more like "electrical candlelight" - very yellow light, and not very much of it. Good for accent lighting, not for task or general lighting. I'm not allowed those because my husband is an electric engineer.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

GLARE GLARE GLARE!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

What feisty said. If you look at the sites for the bulbs, they always have a disclaimer that says, 'Wattages are not indicative of light output", or something to that effect. They sure are pretty, though.

• Awnmyown
    9 years ago

I did them in my kitchen (white quartz countertops, dark grey stained cabinetry, stainless accents), in a rustic-industrial style. Base bulbs, clear glass shades, plus a matching 3-light "chandalier" over the peninsula.

Personally, I LOVE them. People can't stop commenting on them, and they're not harsh at all. As Feisty says, they're actually a very "candle"-like lighting and definitely not for working. Think the highest watt is 60, and that's not much.

Keep in mind the bulbs are a bit more pricey ($10 each), but I can't imagine not having them. I have 7 in my home and have no complaints.

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

I have the pottery barn rustic pendants in my current house. Two over the peninsula and one over the sink. Can lights else ware . I had 60 watt Edison's in them then changed to 75 watt regular Edison base clear bulbs for more light over the peninsula. Same effect and less cost than Edison style bulbs. Great light and not glaring. My DH's favorite place to read.
    I changed out the bulb over the sink to an LED 60watt equivalent, everyone hates it, it is glaring and uncomfortable lighting. But I keep it on as an overnight light if my daughter gets home late.

• malhgold
    9 years ago

I don't have edison bulbs, but this might give you an idea of what it looks like. When we first installed them I did keep staring at the bulbs, but once I got used to them, I didn't even notice anymore.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I think Shanghaimom posted that she was changing hers out.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Awnmyown and ppbenn, can you post pix to share?

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I have 2 large, clear bell-shaped pendants from Pottery Barn over my island with edison style bulbs. The colors in my kitchen are very light and airy, but I chose the dark bronze rod style for the pendants, the majority of the fixture is glass. They look really pretty, but I admit there is less light than before.

Before we have a giant light box on the ceiling. Everytime I turned that on I felt like I was working in a battery factory.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Edison bulbs in my foyer. Never even noticed them after a while. They were also on a dimmer so I could turn them down if they were too bright. But a kitchen might be different than a foyer....I LOVE the way they look.