Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you put knobs on the false drawers in kitchen/bath?

Posted by brookelizabeth (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 13:36

I ordered enough to do it but now I am not sure that I should put the cabinet hardware on the false drawers...

What did you do? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you put knobs on the false drawers in kitchen/bath?

I know that some people do...we didn't. I prefer the flat panel in front of me...and is anyone going to buy that it's a drawer anyway? Our island isn't completely finished, and I actually might do it there, because of the balance and look of the whole piece. It's more furniture-like, and with the whole thing either drawers or pullouts with cup pulls, it may look odd to have the one blank panel...especially at the end.

o

We did not put handles on the false fronts (below cooktop and sink), and the cabinetmaker (who built the cabinets, but put the handles on well after install in our kitchen) was relieved because he said it would have been difficult for him to add the handles. He could have done it, and didn't steer us one way or the other, but that item could be a factor in your decision.

o

I did in my master bath for continuity, and the false fronts under both vanities were both yanked out by a very determined four year old, LOL.

o

Thanks everyone. Cabs are in and we needed to decide before tops go on. My husband said that he didn't want to lean on a knob while shaving. Funny.

I think we'll leave them off everywhere except for one bath where it makes sense.

o

Under the threat of "too much information" I put pulls on the dummy drawers in the masterbath and kitchen. I didn't do this initially but after installing the working pulls, the dummy drawers just stuck out. Anyway, in the master bath the knob sometimes hooks the 'fly' in my boxers, it is just the wrong height! But I'd still add them. It looks much better. In fact I added an entire dummy drawer front and knob in a section of the vanity with 3 working drawers and a large open spot below.

o

The false fronts under cooktops and sinks probably are better functionally without because they tend to catch things (thanks, texaskitchentoo for a great example)

We put knobs on two false fronts:
Our pantry has two doors that are made of two separate panels, but joined so it functions as a single door. I put knobs on both panels for purely aesthetic reasons, but have found myself using the "dummy" knob to open the door as often as the "real" knob since either can be used to open the door
The other "dummy knob" was on a upper corner cabinet: again two panels designed to work together. Again I did it for the look, but no worries about catching on in due to location.

o

I didn't. You can always drill the holes at a later date if you don't like the false drawers without hardware, but for now I would live with it for awhile.

o

I didn't either. I think its better not to because how will someone know which drawer is real and which one is false? In any case for me the less the hardware the better the look - my personal preference. I have flat doors.

o

Prefer not to -- prefer either have fronts that look like panels, not like drawers, or put something there (how about a towel ring?) which has some real functionality.

o

Some I did, some I didnt. Kind of depending on the location. A couple of my false ones on the island are getting plug ins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here