Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookelizabeth_gw

Do you put knobs on the false drawers in kitchen/bath?

brookelizabeth
13 years ago

I ordered enough to do it but now I am not sure that I should put the cabinet hardware on the false drawers...

What did you do? Thanks

Comments (10)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I know that some people do...we didn't. I prefer the flat panel in front of me...and is anyone going to buy that it's a drawer anyway? Our island isn't completely finished, and I actually might do it there, because of the balance and look of the whole piece. It's more furniture-like, and with the whole thing either drawers or pullouts with cup pulls, it may look odd to have the one blank panel...especially at the end.

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

I did in my master bath for continuity, and the false fronts under both vanities were both yanked out by a very determined four year old, LOL.

• brookelizabeth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Cabs are in and we needed to decide before tops go on. My husband said that he didn't want to lean on a knob while shaving. Funny.

I think we'll leave them off everywhere except for one bath where it makes sense.

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

Under the threat of "too much information" I put pulls on the dummy drawers in the masterbath and kitchen. I didn't do this initially but after installing the working pulls, the dummy drawers just stuck out. Anyway, in the master bath the knob sometimes hooks the 'fly' in my boxers, it is just the wrong height! But I'd still add them. It looks much better. In fact I added an entire dummy drawer front and knob in a section of the vanity with 3 working drawers and a large open spot below.

• jrueter
    13 years ago

The false fronts under cooktops and sinks probably are better functionally without because they tend to catch things (thanks, texaskitchentoo for a great example)

We put knobs on two false fronts:
    Our pantry has two doors that are made of two separate panels, but joined so it functions as a single door. I put knobs on both panels for purely aesthetic reasons, but have found myself using the "dummy" knob to open the door as often as the "real" knob since either can be used to open the door
    The other "dummy knob" was on a upper corner cabinet: again two panels designed to work together. Again I did it for the look, but no worries about catching on in due to location.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I didn't. You can always drill the holes at a later date if you don't like the false drawers without hardware, but for now I would live with it for awhile.

• Newyorking
    13 years ago

I didn't either. I think its better not to because how will someone know which drawer is real and which one is false? In any case for me the less the hardware the better the look - my personal preference. I have flat doors.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Prefer not to -- prefer either have fronts that look like panels, not like drawers, or put something there (how about a towel ring?) which has some real functionality.

• gopintos
    13 years ago

Some I did, some I didnt. Kind of depending on the location. A couple of my false ones on the island are getting plug ins.