Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen recessed lights - brand, size, type? Need help please

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 13:32

My space is small - 10 x 13 - I am planning on 8 (4'') recessed in the middle and 1 (4'') over the sink - ceiling is 8'. I will also have a small island 3x4 with two pendants.

I am not a big fan of the big cans so I need your opinion.

Which brand did you use in your kitchen? Juno, Lutron, Lightolier? LED? anything else I need to know - I would also have under-cabinet lights.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen recessed lights - brand, size, type? Need help please

I used 6" Ecosmart dimmable LED from Home Depot. Love them. They come in 4".

o

Thank you! What type of boxes you used for those?

o

Ginny20 - did you buy their trim kit ( cans ) or you used something different? Thank you!

o

We used Ecosmart 4" LEDs with Halo housings. The housings are inexpensive - maybe $20? and the lights were about $45. We actually only used cans in the hallways and dining room and did cable lighting and sconces in the kitchen because our ceiling has odd slopes and the cans wouldn't work.

o

My contractor got them and put them in. They take regular ED cans. They self trim, so you don't buy any extra trim. I think I paid $40 each, but now they're more like $30 or even $25 sometimes.

o

I am putting in some of the HD LED Ecosmart Commercial Electric fixtures. For some models, not only do they not need a trim, they do not need a can! You can mount them directly to a junction box. The link for the 4" version is below:

(Edited to fix the name as indicated above.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flush-mount LED

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Wed, May 8, 13 at 15:48

o

I used the Ecosmart 4 in LED also. Best price I could find last month was $159/4 on HD online. The 6 in ones you can get for $27 in store, but 4 in hasn't seen that drop yet, unless it was very recent.

I got my cans from a local lighting store where I bought a few lights. They gave me contractor pricing. I think because I was buying 10 and a bunch of other stuff. I stopped in a few times and they were super helpful. I ended up with a mixed lot of some Quarum and some Quoizel. They were under $15 each. The Quoizel were much easier to work with going in, the guys noticed a definite difference in ease of adjusting and the screw system was easier than the Quorum nail system.

Haven't had any of the lights installed yet, but hopefully the end of next week. They just put up the new ceiling drywall today.

o

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

I will check HD

For the Halo housing - did you guys use:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-4-in-Non-Insulation-Contact-New-Construction-Housing-H99TAT/100066352#.UYrK6Gcuz0Q

Or:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-Air-Tite-4-in-Recessed-Housing-H99ICAT/100186076?keyword=Halo+H99ICAT#BVRRWidgetID

Thank you!

o

I used the 4" ecosmart as well. We were able to use the existing cans but i Had ordered the halo remodel non insulation cans.

o

It depends on the space they are going into. Mine I believe are new construction non insulated because they are going into a ceiling with a floor over it and we have full access (putting up new drywall).

Ask at the store and they should be able to tell you.

o

I got it - thank you! It's an old house - we are remodeling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here