Houzz Logo Print
modhouse_gw

Kitchen Remodel: Suggestions Needed On Layout

modhouse
10 years ago

Hello,

I am remodeling our kitchen.

There are some design limitations:

1. The walls next to the island cannot be removed.
2. The dishwasher and sink must remain in the island. Their placement can be changed, though.
3. The range must stay on its current wall

What I am considering:

1. A 36" Dual Fuel range. The current range is 30".
2. French door refrigerator.
3. A 36" sink. The current sink is 30".
4. Dishwasher with drawers.
5. Removing the wall between the current pantry and refrigerator and doing something in that area. Maybe a coffee and beverage center?
6. Making that unused room into an office and pantry combo.

Stove wall length is 18'. That does not include the current pantry which is an additional 4'8".

The end area of the counter tops next to the dishwasher have a 3' pass through to the dining area.

I really hate the sink and dishwasher placement in the island. The refrigerator placement is driving me crazy also. I like my breakfast nook area and am thinking of putting built in window seats there.

I am open to suggestions. I like to bake. We entertain on occasion. This will mainly be a one person kitchen with my husband helping out with prep sometimes.

Comments (5)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If you like to bake, my tendency would be to go with a cooktop and wall ovens.

36" ranges are not a very common size, and the handful of typical American ones that are under $3000 are 30" with fillers on the sides of the 30" oven to make it 36.

It would make more sense to me if you went with a cooktop of 36", which is probably the most common for a cooktop, and a couple of wall ovens. This way you can also get the gas cooktop and the electric wall ovens each from a manufacturer you want, if you like features of on manufacturer for ovens and another for cooktop.

• bpath
    10 years ago

What else would you like to change in your kitchen? What doesn't work for you about the sink/DW, is it that you see it from the living room?Do you like having a breakfast bar in the Living room? What's that "empty room", can you make it a pantry? Are there kids living here?

• modhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What else would you like to change in your kitchen?

The things in my original post are what really bother me. I really hate the current pantry space and refrigerator placement. I think those bother me the most.

What doesn't work for you about the sink/DW, is it that you see it from the living room?Do you like having a breakfast bar in the Living room?

Currently the island is two levels. The sink and DW cannot be seen from the living room. I don't know why I dislike their placement so much. They just seem awkward to me when I am working. When I remodel, I may make the island one level. If they are seen from the living room I won't be bothered.

I don't mind the breakfast bar where it is. My living room is fairly large and is kind of an L shape.

What's that "empty room", can you make it a pantry? Are there kids living here?

The "empty room" is an empty room with electrical outlets and a window. I am thinking of making it into a pantry and office combo. One child.

I wish I could put the refrigerator where the panty is now. I think it might be odd, because it would be at the at the end of a walkway and near a doorway.

• modhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you like to bake, my tendency would be to go with a cooktop and wall ovens.

I have gone back and forth on this issue. I have decided that right now, in this kitchen, I want a range with an oven. When I move again. It will be dual ovens and cooktop.

36" ranges are not a very common size, and the handful of typical American ones that are under $3000 are 30" with fillers on the sides of the 30" oven to make it 36.

I may not go with an American range. While 36" dual fuel isn't as common as all gas, I see a few selections at both Lowes and Home Depot. The majority of those are 36" with 5 or 6 burners. If I wanted to go all gas, there are even more I can order through HD or Lowes.

• modhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just went into my living room and looked across my island. The current focal point is the refrigerator. That is driving me batty. I want the the view over the island to be of a nice range with a pretty backsplash. Not a large stainless refrigerator.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath