Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Knobs Only, Pulls Only or Mixed. Dilemma!

It's time to order my kitchen cabinet hardware. I have chosen my style and material, but am at a loss whether to get all knobs for drawers and doors, or all pulls, or do knobs on the doors and pulls on the drawers.

Any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

This really comes down to personal preference - there is no wrong/incorrect choice. I put pulls on all the lower drawers + the sink cab and the utility closet, and knobs on all the upper cab doors + plus the pantry doors. This is a fairly common solution, but not the only one by any means. Wait until you start thinking about where on the doors/drawers you're going to place them!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yet another hardware dilema! They crop up frequently here and there is a great post about showing your hardware pics that you may want to look at. It really helped me to decide if I was going with a mix or all pulls.

I decided early on that I wanted to go with all pulls. Then reality set in and I found that there were many knobs that I just loved but pulls not so much. The problem with pulls is finding a style that has at least two lengths. Small pulls can look dwarfed by large drawers etc.

I would suggest deciding on all pulls or a mix first. Then think about which finish you want and which material. I didn't want a zinc pull so brass was one of my criteria. Also I read that a pull is much easier for an older person to use compared to a knob. Since I will be hitting my sixties this year that was important to me.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Here's the thread on pulls/knosbs Holly referenced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulls/knobs thread

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

Desertdance, your cabinet/counter combo is what I have been envisioning for my remodel (I'm leaning toward natural maple). Can I ask what you decided on for the countertops? It seems to be difficult to find a brown that is dark enough, yet doesn't look black a lot of the time.

BTW, those pulls you picked out are gorgeous!

• User
    10 years ago

Pulls are more universal design friendly. Meaning small hands and hands that have difficulty grasping alike are more comfortable with pulls than knobs.

• stacylh
    10 years ago

I had this same dilemma, especially when it came to having bottom drawers with narrow 5 piece drawers. I ended up doing knobs on all doors, cup pulls wherever it made sense, and knobs on my shallow drawers. I was afraid of how it would look but I think it looks fine. I totally overthought that whole situation and worried way too much!

Go with what you like....I doubt that anyone (besides you) will even analyze it once they are in your beautiful kitchen :)

• Molly Phillips
    10 years ago

I originally was going with all knobs because I saw Sarah Richardson comment once that it's much easier to change out knobs than pulls when you're looking to update your kitchen.

Then, I went to the store and picked knobs to check out. I didn't like them at all with my cabinets for some reason.

So, back to the drawing board. I ended up going with all the same size pulls, all placed in the middle of the door or drawer, all horizontal....just for consistency. None of my drawers are so large compared with the smallest drawer that having the same sizes made a difference, if that makes sense. I did use glass knobs on the glass front doors, but that was it.

Anyway, my advice is to go to a big box store, buy a bunch of difference sizes, styles and finishes, and put them up to see what speaks to you. It may not be what you originally thought you want it to be. Even after I decided against all knobs, I thought I'd use a bunch of different ones and didn't go that route, either.

Here's a shot of mine in my not-yet-finished kitchen.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KBSpider, To answer your question, and I pray I didn't mess up, the countertops/backsplash combo are pictured below. They look and feel like brown swede. Delish!!

I did pick out some granite and had second thoughts.

I have samples of the big porcelain tile which will be laid offset, and there will be a lot of drama in the 6" tiles on the diagonal with the band of glory for the backsplash.

What I love about a porcelain tile counter is that I can dance on it!! Woo Hoo!!

Suzi

• amandapadgett
    10 years ago

We changed from all knobs to all pulls and I love them! What we did was find a few that matched our style and then picked the one that felt the best to our hand when using.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I went with all pulls. I just like the look and easier to open with a pinkie and messy hands.

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

i have drop pulls, crystal knobs, polished nickel knobs, cup pulls, latches and handles.

it's all good

i think it depends on the cabinet. a lot of people like to use only one type of hardware, but while i'd use a cup pull on a drawer i'd never consider it for a cabinet door. i have glass fronted hutches and wanted to dress them up a bit, so i went with the crystal and drop pulls. they all work together and don't look at all out of place.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Went with all pulls, just seemed to fit our cabinet style better, and with all those knots, it would get confusing!
    Rocky Mountain Hardware "Sash Pulls" in silicon bronze, and they feel wonderful.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like a mix. For myself, I prefer everything not look so uniform and organized but, rather, to feel more relaxed. Love unfitted kitchens!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ctycdm, thanks for posting your kitchen!

I tried hard to get notty pine (we have a couple pine groves on the property and I liked the theme), but DH put the thumbs down due to budget issues, so I went with honey shaker. I can see how knobs would get confusing with all those knots!

I love how your pulls look!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH