Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Kohler cast iron sink owners please respond

threeapples
10 years ago

We have now gone through two Whitehaven sinks (neither of which were installed) and both have areas of missing enamel where you can see black or brown dots of the iron showing through. Kohler insists this is uncommon and these areas will rust. This frightens me! We now have to order a third sink. Have any of you dealt with this. I'm including a blurry photo of the type of thing I've mentioned. Thanks.

Comments (52)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Threeapples, I am getting the Kohler Whitehaven as well. I am hoping that the first one will be fine. If it isn't I will ask for something different but I am sure I would have to know before the fabricator does the cut out.

• carolmka
    10 years ago

I have a 15 year old cast iron sink from Kohler no problems with rust but it does scratch and stain. I had a newer cast iron from Kohler that had the same problem. I would make sure you get the custom sink racks that they sell. The scratches and stains do cleanup but I get tired of looking at a yellow sink bottom.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinets and counters are made for this sink. We can't modify them now.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

No problems with this with our three-year-old Kohler sink. Is it possible they've changed manufacturers (or changed QC) for this sink? I could see it happening once, but twice...?? If the cabinets are built for the sink and Kohler is voluntarily replacing it at their cost, I'd stick with it till you get one that is perfect, as much of a PITA as it is. Changing it out later will be even more of a pain. (If you have the option with your cabinet/counter setup, I would also mount it with the Kohler sink brackets, just in case--that's how ours is done and it keeps open the option of removing and replacing the sink later if you have to. The brackets came with our Cape Dory; not sure if they come with all of their sinks or not, though.) Good luck!

• iroll_gw
    10 years ago

I have a white Kohler Iron/Tones sink, no issues with the finish at all. I agree that it sounds like a problem with QC on the Whitehaven.
    That's an expensive sink; I wouldn't accept one that is less than perfect. If it really is so uncommon of a problem, then they certainly won't mind you rejecting another ten. :(

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

One promising aspect is they told you it WOULD rust. Some companies would try to assure you not to worry about it. It sounds like Kohler is at least honest. I wonder if the problem is occuring with just one color or if all finishes are affected?.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Keep on it then. You will get a good one.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

I just opened my new Whitehaven sink a few minutes ago! I'm so excited but now nervous , well look it over carefully. Good luck!

• kam76
    10 years ago

This is the sink I was set on...now I am getting nervous.

• Paul Celeste
    10 years ago

2 years and going strong... love it, not a single issue.

• Tricia21
    10 years ago

I have the whitehaven and have no issues. It's perfect

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Another Whitehaven owner. No issues here yet but to be honest, I can't really see what you are talking about in the picture. maybe I do have that and haven't looked closely enough but it's installed and if i haven't noticed it yet, i'm not going to go hunting for problems. hope you get it sorted out.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

threeapples, did you ever resolve this? After reading your message I anxiously opened up the Riverby sitting in my garage and also found some gray/black dots in the finish. Most you can't feel, but at least one can be felt running your finger over it. My designer is contacting our rep at Ferguson's to get a replacement delivered. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks so much for your post, I wouldn't have thought to look so carefully at this point without it.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are now awaiting our 3rd Whitehaven as the first two arrived with the same spots. I'll post back after the third one is in.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I'm anxious to hear back also as my Whitehaven will be installed in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I love the look of it and sure hope we don't have the same problem with ours.

Good luck threeapples. I sure hope that third time is a charm!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

My new Whitehaven Low Divide sink in Cane Sugar is patiently awaiting my tardy contractor to be installed. It looks perfect and quite lovely so I'm excited to see it installed! I'm a bit bummed since I paid an additional $200 to have it rush
    delivered since it's a brand new design and no one had it except the Wisconsin Kohler warehouse. My contractor said he had to have it first thing to build the cabinet for it since it weighs in at a hefty 171 pounds. Hopefully he'll get to it soon. I sure hope your 3rd sink is the charmed one. It's disturbing that there could be such a lack of quality control. Please let us know how it goes.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sanjuan, what color is the cane sugar? Is it a light grey white? I was looking at going with something other than white but just couldn't tell on the various websites what cane sugar looked like IRL.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

It's a lovely beige and it's got a bit of depth, kind of like the difference in a crackle tile vs flat. The beige is neutral so I think it could go warm or cool depending on what's around it.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I don't have a Whitehaven, I have a Hawthorne.
    It scratches and rusts underneath.
    However. To be fair.
    Mine did sit on the garage floor for 2 or 3 years, where the water softener overflowed twice. So, salt water and cast iron (underneath) don't mix.

They replaced my sink because of the scratches. It's a discontinued color. Sadly, the sink is built in, so the replacement is in the barn. off the ground.

• uther
    10 years ago

threeapples,

Did you get the third sink? How did it look? Perfect, I hope!!! I plan on putting a whitehaven in my new kitchen next month.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Uther, you will love your Whitehaven. I was so wishy washy about installing an apron front. Now that it is installed and I am using it all I can say is WOW!!!! I am so very glad that I went with the WH. The sink area is my most favorite spot in the kitchen.

• home4all6
    10 years ago

Our whitehaven has been installed for a few weeks, but I was peeling off the protective plastic this morning, for the counter top install, which was happening today, and a corner of the enamel chipped right off with the plastic! It's a huge piece broken off the corner. So, I've been on the phone all morning, to have it replaced. I'm nervous about the quality control at Kohler right now, as I certainly don't want it to chip AFTER install either.
    I'm really hoping my new one arrives quickly and is perfect!!
    Lesson: peel off the protective plastic right away, because it might be holding the flaws in place, so you can't see them .

• KelinMD
    10 years ago

Carolmka, Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? It gets all yellow out of my sink. I also use bleach spray and just let it sit for a minute and rinse. BKF also gets out the gray scrape marks left by pans on the divider. In our upcoming remodel I'm thinking about the whitehaven (can't wait to not have the double bowl!) The pictures look great.

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

threeapples, Did you finally get a Whitehaven that was a keeper? I just found this thread, and have been reading through the posts with dread, as we are getting one as well. My husband is building our cabinets, and they are already built for this sink. Please put my mind at ease.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I have the 36" Whitehaven and it has been in for about 6 months. I think I could have gotten away with the 30" but love the sink. I do have the stainless grids in the bottom.

• lsst
    10 years ago

We have a Kohler Brookhaven black double sink that is going on 10 years. It has held up well. No rust.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

I went through three Kohler cast iron Lakefields (no longer made, I think) in 3 different houses and in various colors and never had an issue. They were total workhorses. I had a scratch on the last that I recall and no problem. I think Kohler is a tad overpriced, but for a rich looking cast iron they are the only game in town. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Our sink has been in close to a year now and I have had no issues. We have the 36" Whitehaven. It is huge. I think they now have a 33" which if they had made that size a year ago, I might have bought instead. I know I didn't want a 30" though. Anyway it's huge, I can bathe my toddler in it. No scratches, rust or discoloration.

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

threegraces, I am relieved to hear that you had no issues with your Whitehaven. Do you mind me asking where you purchased your from?

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Sure - we bought it from Warehouse Discount Center

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Whitenaven

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

Thanks threegraces!!

• tuffetlady
    8 years ago

I'm looking for a Kohler Galleon sink in biscuit or almond... any suggestions.. TuffetLady

• User
    8 years ago

I have the Kohler Cape Dory and no problems after 3 years.

• peggy8080
    5 years ago

I know this thread is old but I just had my granite installed over a brand new whitehaven short apron white sink and noticed a black pit just like the original poster. Kohler told me it was a carbon deposit and would never rust or get any bigger. They are sending me touch up paint but I'm very worried considering this is a thousand dollar sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

peggy8080:

Don't worry too much, please. Even if it does get bigger, a short apron sink can be replaced without removing your tops.

• peggy8080
    5 years ago

Thanks for your fast reply! Can it really? I had no idea. It looks like the cabinet has to be destroyed in the process though.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Modern cabinet fronts tap off easily and are easily reinstalled:

• peggy8080
    5 years ago

If I can figure out how to do it I will post a picture of what my cabinet/sink looks like maybe you can tell me if mine will be easy to replace.

• peggy8080
    5 years ago

I guess I can't do it. I add the photos and hit submit but it doesn't go

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

I had two of these shipped to me and they both have a crack on the side. Second one seems to have thicker iron around the drain but also something black baked into the apron. After two sinks with issues I am thinking to change mind about it and pick something else. While this sink is beautiful I think Kohler has no quality control and just cranks them out to see which ones will stick. They give you lifetime warranty and what good is that when everything is installed.

• HU-391474507
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Darn. Today we had our THIRD Whitehaven sink delivered, and this one has a flaw too. The first one had clearly been dropped, plus it had a flaw in the top. The second one had a terrible finish...should never have passed inspection. This third one has a spot on the front where the porcelain (?) is too thin. At this point in the renovation we'll probably have to live with it, but SERIOUSLY, what is wrong with Kohler? I wish we had just done a regular stainless sink that I didn't have to worry about. Very disappointing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Send it back and put in an Elkay Quartz Luxe.

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

Monika and HU - I wonder if you're having problems because the Kohler plant had a fire several months ago and are really backed up in production, and thus, things are being rushed or done half ass to try to keep up with orders. I just replaced a double sink Kohler (can't remember the model but it was 20 years old) and wanted to go with a single basin. When I looked into Kohler, I was told (by Kohler) that they were back ordered nearly 6 months. (You could get it in almost any color but white, and white is what I wanted). I didn't have that time to wait so I went with a stainless steel (also by Kohler).

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

I have returned the Whiteheaven sink because the two sinks that were delivered to me had major inconsistencies. I agree with Kohler doing things half ass. At this point I am researching sinks. I have a 36” cabinet meant for apron sink so my options are limited by that dimension and style. Suggestions?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Monica:

I installed a Kohler Whitehaven short apron that was manufactured post fire. It was perfect:

• HU-391474507
    5 years ago

Joseph, does the front apron have like a softly textured surface, or is it smooth? Could you take a close up picture of it? Thank you very much.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

That picture was taken in a customer's home, so sorry, I can't take a close up. The exposed part of the entire sink is smooth and glossy.

• HU-391474507
    5 years ago

Fifth sink on its way tomorrow. At this point we've got to take the least of all the evils. Countertop place is getting antsy, and contractor really wants to stay on schedule. Plus, I'm really tired of my house torn up!

• Cyndi Fine
    5 years ago

What happened with your 5th sink?