Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to buy 1950s antique stove CHEAP

Posted by navi_jen (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 13:17

Hi everyone...

Now that the hunt for vintage kitchen cabinets has begun, I, of course being insane, also am considering a vintage stove. Of course, I am also a girl on a somewhat constrained budget. I'd love to get a 40 inch Okeefe & Merrit and/or Wedgewood double oven model...preferring to stay under $3k buying, shipping to MA and at least renovating all the gas internals. I know, my budget may be low...like I said, I'm insane :-)

For those of you all who have vintage stoves, how did you get them? I am searching the normal ebay and CL channels...but any other information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, May 24, 13 at 13:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to buy 1950s antique stove CHEAP

Something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/atq/3812944379.html

o

Ooh, this one is nice. And cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/atq/3777958789.html

o

iDrive...that first one is gorgeous, but waaay too old. I first thought about a vintage 1930s enamel range, because they looked so cool, but from everything I read, the later models do much better for actual cooking.

Holy smoly...that Chambers is cheap. I really don't love how the Chambers look (the fronts look bulbous to me and there is something about the handles that make the stove seem sad, at least to me) but this one is close enough for me to actually look at in person to decide if I like it.

Thanks! And keep 'em coming!

o

hi Navi_Jen,

I can't respond to your email (check your GardenWeb profile settings) -- send me your email address and I'll write you all the details?

o

A Chambers in good condition for $400 is a fabulous deal. If you want a vintage range you can do way worse. Those were the Wolfs of their time and then some.

o

Circus....thank you, I responded. Rococo...I know, but I really just don't like how the 1950s chambers look. I much prefer OKM or Wedgewood visually, even if it is a bit of a step down in quality.

If this is still available, I might go look at it next weekend
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/app/3777604799.html

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, May 24, 13 at 17:41

o

I bought my 1950's Floyd Wells 30" for $60 on CL. I cleaned the heck out of it, we adjusted the orafices so we could use it on propane and it's been cooking and baking in our kitchen for a year now. Bought it off of CL, had to drive 2 hours each way for it, but it's darn difficult to find a 30" vintage range so it was worth the trip. Mine is VERY basic, no frills, match lit oven and pilot for the burners. I'd have LOVED a Tappan Doughboy (found one even, for $150) with the chrome lined oven and lit up burner rings, but I couldn't go bigger then 30",.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here