Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buildinva

Lee Valley? Or other blind corner cabinet solution?

buildinva
10 years ago

We have a blind corner cabinet that is 42 inches wide but the door is only 18in. We are planning to use the Lee Valley blind corner cabinet solution, but am wondering if there is a better option after reading mixed reviews about Lee Valley. Would love to hear opinions. Thank you!!

Comments (4)

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

Blind corner access takes good cabinet space away, usually twelve inches on each side pkus it isn't very efficient use of the blind corner space anyway. We chose to block off the blind corner and use it as a time capsule space. I am picking out things to put in that time capsule.

Lots of people have discussed blind corner access at length in this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: blind corner

This post was edited by donaleen on Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:02

• buildinva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to post and share the link with me! I've actually read so many threads on this topic my head is spinning, lol! I love your time capsule idea! How unique and creative!

We need this space and the layout worked best for our situation, so I'm afraid we're stuck with it as-is. I am leaning toward the Lee Valley system, but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea before I hit the trigger!

• attofarad
    10 years ago

If you want increased storage, these units are not the way to go. What you can get is a reasonable amount of storage, which is very easy to access. I got the Lemans II, about $424 delivered, purchase from a Georgia cabinet maker on eBay. The access to contents is excellent. Having now installed one, I could do another in a leisurely 20 minutes.

Both the Lee Valley and the Lemans II (50cm) have almost the same area per level as your 18" cabinet does. They only provide two levels, and do not really accommodate a drawer above them very well. You would get more storage than these units by putting in a stack of 4 drawers.

If you are one of the lucky ones, your blind corner is accessible from the other side of wall, peninsula, etc. In that case, you can just have a storage cabinet accessed from the other side (or other room).

• andreak100
    10 years ago

As mentioned, if you have the ability to access the blind corner area from the other side, that's typically regarded as the most ideal solution.

We couldn't, and like attofarad, we opted for a Hafele LeMans unit. I loved the idea of the Hafele Magic Corner (the "better" version of the Lee Valley one), but I couldn't justify the price difference between the Magic Corner and the LeMans, so I looked for other options.

We aren't installed yet, but I anticipate the LeMans being the best option for us due to the items that I plan on storing there (taller things). I've seen the drawer units and like those quite a bit...would have considered them if we I didn't already have the drawers that we need elsewhere in the kitchen.

The Lee Valley one - it's my understanding that it's not as sturdy (nor is it nearly as expensive as the Hafele Magic Corner) and from what I saw somewhere on the web, there was a comparison of the Hafele and other "magic corners", and it showed that the Hafele had more usable space due to the back shelves being deeper/larger. I don't know if the Lee Valley one gives the amount of usuable space, but you may want to find out if you can get info on that and compare it with the Hafele one if you still decide that's the blind corner option you decide to use.

Also, I'll say that while I liked the magic corner *idea* and it's coolness factor, in the end, it seemed like the LeMans was likely more user friendly for me overall.