Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Counters are finally in...matte or glossy backsplash?

autumn.4
9 years ago

We are nearing the end of a new construction build. Our counters were installed yesterday. I haven't posted on kitchens in a while since we had our layout finalized and have been waiting for this next step. I had tried searching before install but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it without seeing it in place so I shelved it. So here it is installed and I am in the backsplash phase. :)

Here are a couple pics, cabinets are not fully installed, lacking glass and some crown.

Opposite the living room - open floor plan, dining room off to your left:

Fridge wall:

Perimeter is AB leathered over soft white cabinets. Island is Alaksa White over Shiloh Silas (grayish stain) cabinets.

I am thinking it would be best to stay with a quiet backsplash, likely a subway or 2x4. We are pretty casual people and more of a traditional/transitional style.

Would you put matte backsplash over matte counter? I am thinking yes BUT I do like the Sonoma crackle (encore is so nice but way out of budget) and that is glossy.

Thoughts? Yay or nay and if not then any ideas from the creative geniuses out there? Budget is under $15/sq ft..

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks fabulous! Good job!!! I have Sonoma Crackle and the finish seems more lustrous than glossy. And it will fit within your budget. :)

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would go satin or glossy. Very pretty!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

My sil has a similar kitchen as yours - white cabs, dark leathered perimeter counter, gray island with lighter counter - and she went with white shiny beveled subway tiles with gray grout. A little unexpected but it looks great.

In other words, go glossy. :) Your kitchen is looking fantastic!

This post was edited by ck_squared on Wed, May 21, 14 at 15:20

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

We have leathered granite and were advised to do polished on the backsplash for contrast. My materials are different (jet mist granite, carrera marble subway tile) but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Another vote for polished!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words...it is definitely a GW heavily influenced kitchen. :) I did my best with what I had for layout, etc.. It's more than I could have imagined it could be, almost like it's somebody else kitchen.

I am so excited to see that crackle/polished/glossy wasn't vetoed. I have admired others for a while but wasn't sure it would work. It seems soft yet, not busy really.

linelle-I've followed your backsplash posts (such a nice calming tile and matches your kitchen perfectly) and the lippage you feel could have been avoided at install. We are DIYing it so I'm a little scared about that. We've laid our fair share of tile but....that is right up front and center, know what I mean. Does it come on a mesh do you know?

elizabeth-you cannot post a color name like 'wicked white' without sharing a pic! If you have any I'd love to see it. Your perimeter looks so much like mine. I really like the muted look of the leathered.

So do you all think I should try to match the cabinet white? Not go with a soft neutral in the gray or taupish family?

Thanks again for your input and sharing others that are similar to mine.

• Ruth Rowe
    3 years ago

I have white cabinets and a white/gray laminate counter top in a matte finish should I go with matte back splash and what color?

• chispa
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Ruth Rowe, you should start your own thread with some photos to get the best results from the forum. Makes it confusing to answer 2 different posters on the same thread ... specially a thread that was 6 years old!

• Jodi
    2 years ago

@elizabeth714 I know this is an old thread, but can you share more about your subway tile backsplash? What size grout line is that? And what brand and color name of grout? Also, would love to know the name of the tiles as well. Thank you for sharing!