Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

A new week. What I accomplished today

CEFreeman
9 years ago

So today is my Monday, so I've taken the liberty to call it a new week.

Today I picked up a bunch of 100 year old picket fencing to use for (goodness knows what) projects. Yeah Freecycle!

I picked up a shower present for my cousin, who is getting married. My sister is holding the Event.

I picked up all the brush I cleared from Monday's 100sf area cleared & threw it in the gully across the street.
I sprayed poison ivy until I was blue in the face.

Now I'm going to feed my bad self and go to work.

What did you do today? (I know, it's still early....)

Comments (54)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Dropped off stuff at dry cleaners and at Goodwill
    Tried to drop off blankets at a shelter but the donations door was closed
    Paid Bloomingdales bill
    Went to carpet store to get our credit in writing
    Heading to IKEA

(Did I say I love 3-day weekends?)

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I spent all morning unpacking tile and clearing countertops in preparation for this:

It took us forever to agree on a backsplash, but I am officially no longer a member of the ABB club! After much debate, we finally settled on a Bone subway tile. I had originally planned on doing a traditional staggered layout, but when he started putting the tiles in, I absolutely hated it! I wasn't totally sold on the staggered layout to begin with and when I saw it on the wall, I knew it was just wrong. So I had him start over with a stacked layout and I am much happier with the results. I was also unsure of the tile finish, went back and forth between matte and gloss and chose gloss at the last minute and so glad I did. I am really pleased with the gloss tile, the kitchen seems so much brighter already! I chose a grout that pretty much matches the tile, hope it works out well also.

Sjhockeyfan, I am so jealous! I love Ikea, but it is close to 2 hours away. And did I mention my husband hates Ikea! So I don't get down there very often.

This post was edited by fishymom on Sat, May 24, 14 at 16:33

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Bellsmom, trivets are such an excellent idea for leftover backsplash,!!

I am happy tp report all electrical to walls, hoods and islands is complete! Pendants are another whole project for another time....

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

schoolhouse, you keep your evil thoughts off my fencing. Freecycle, baby, freecycle!
    I'll tell you about them, tho:
    Pickets aren't what we think of today, but rather 1"x1" pieces sandwiched between the rails and bottom plate. I got lots of very cool wood to build a bathroom vanity! Someday, rather than a hole in the floor, I'll have a shower. Yeah baby. I'm livin' large.

Oh - being white and being that old, you know that's nice, durable lead paint. I picked up all the sheets of paint falling off of them so I can use that chippy stuff on another project. Don't worry. I don't give a damn about lead poisoning. I don't plan to eat them and they'll be sealed. Pleeeeeeze don't chime in with warnings and junk. I know all that and just don't care. Gotta die of something and I do N.O.T.H.I.N.G. that would be dangerous. Oh - eating cookie dough, I guess. Anything in excess.

So I got cut at work. Memorial day is historically slow on this weekend in restaurants. Soo....
    I allowed myself to stop on the way home and have TWO (count'em, TWO) glasses of wine. Like I said, I'm livin' large.

BTW. I'm impressed at all you do, guys. Now, it shocks me when I read about inertia (which I experience) or overload. Just look at our every day lives! People need to be directed to this thread. It's certainly changed my outlook!
    I am woman/DIYer/creative and responsible human being! Hear me Pound nails!!! er, that was "roar." sorry.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Well my bubble is burst! My 22 yr old DDaughter(not sure if it is dear or the the other D today) got home and she hates the stacked backsplash. She was in London for school this year and said it reminds her of the Tube. Oh well, I usually trust her judgement, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. My husband and I both are very happy with the way the backsplash looks.

• Cindy103d
    9 years ago

Today I was up and at it by 6am. I sanded and primed six 6-panel doors. Sanded and painted 17 steps and a landing on the front porch. Mowed the lawn. Sanded and primed a bunch of casing. And ate strawberries that my wonderful friend picked for me at the u-pick-em farm since I didn't have time to go (bless her heart).

I'm going to be ready to go back to work on Tuesday so I can rest!

Fishymom - the tile is beautiful.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I went to Sam's Club this morning. I usually go about once a month but with the kitchen being torn apart for the last 6 months there was just no place to put anything. Now that cabinets are in it was time to stock the pantry...$350 dollars later my wallet is lighter but my pantry, fridge and laundry room) are comfortably well-stocked.

Came home and hubby directed me as I installed the two lazy susan's in my corner cabinets...THAT was not fun. Filled one side with small appliances, the other is still empty.

Ordered 5 samples of backsplash tile from The Glass Tile Store....I think one of them might be "the one" but we'll see.

Took my two fur babies for two walks, fed, watered and cleaned out the litter boxes for my neighbors 3 cats. Did 2 loads of laundry.

I didn't feel too tired until I started typing all this, now I'm exhausted!! Oh yeah, somewhere in there I also burned up a bunch of cardboard and grilled some sausages for dinner. I got a lot done today!!! I love this thread!!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Mostly packing and tossing things, preparatory to the BIG TRIP to the new house where I will do marvelous things and supervise contractors.

We're in that phase of a major clean-up and pitch-out where it's TOTAL CHAOS everywhere, although the garage has turned the corner ... more so when I leave with my tools.

SO mounted the sliding miter saw to a 2x2 base that, in turn, mounts to one of the B&D folding work stands ... we'll eventually have ALL the tools on the same size base so we can just drop them on and have a stable work place.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Eine neue Woche...

Today I finished the fourth pantry shelf, put it in and installed the cove lighting. It looks great, but it points out every defect in the drywall so I need to repair that tomorrow. I'm not a big person but making the connection in the attic was extra fun. In that area there is at most 18" of room to crawl around in but it's done now. Time for some iced coffee and Yuengling.

• scrapbookheaven
    9 years ago

Today we took out the basement window that was literally falling out. Our house is 3.5 years old and it was installed incorrectly. Cleaned up the window and the metal frame. Reinstalled window. Climbed our monster ladder to hang a 41" red compass in our entry hall. While the monster ladder was out we replaced a couple of batteries in smoke alarms in 20' ceilings with 10 year batteries...no more being woken up at 3 am with the smoke alarms beeping due to dying batteries.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Finished painting the "man" space..
    Worked on nieces 16th birthday party dress. Just trying to snug it up in a few places.
    Vacuumed the expansive carpeting, ate bacon dogs for dinner..

Tomorrow depending on the weather...start painting the master bedroom or work in the garden, probably a bit of both..

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Slow day for me in terms of accomplishments. Wiped down the newly installed stove and washed dog's stuffed toys and her bedding. Added another 'enhancement ' to previously ordered hood; they said it wasn't too late. :-/. Wondering if I should add a set of outlets to BS area or live with the dangling cords....my contractor is already beyond annoyed with me - will it matter if he becomes even more annoyed with add'l outlets request....?

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mags438, annoy him. Now's the time 'cause it'll cost you big later. There is no such thing as being too rich, too thin, or having too much electricity. Cookie dough, either.

Tell the daughter to go back to London and learn to appreciate good tilework. Some of those tiles have stood the test of time since wayyyyy before WWII. I happen to think it was a great idea to stack. I have the feeling I would have freaked and frozen, not thinking of that idea.

Lazygardens, I wish I had your work spaces! My tools are in the garage and hard to get to. I take them out on my newly concreted back porch (an accomplishment!) to use then. I also have them screwed to plywood. I have to get my 90lb planer out so I can plane wine crate panels to make some cabinet doors. Another project.

Shicksal, eine neue Woche freut mich immer. Die Anfang der etwas neues. (My Spanish is trying to mix into my German.) Anyway, YEAH for new beginnings, even if it's just a week.

Have a great holiday all.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Bellsmom - what a great idea with the tile trivets.

Saturday was a wash for me - had a wedding to photograph, so I accomplished that (thank goodness or I would have some very disappointed people), but nothing else.

The hardwood guys were here working on our hardwood in the living room while I was gone - they are working all over the weekend too. We're living in the basement while all of this is happening...it's about as close to camping as I want to get, truth be told!

Today, I'm working in the flower garden more - weeding, planting, weeding some more. We have a horrible bunch of crabgrass that just won't quit. So far, I have about 40 marigolds planted and a few clumps of flowering cabbage. Hope to get the rest of the flat of marigolds planted today or tomorrow and then I've got to get moving on placing the dahlias. Everything got such a late start this year because of the late freezes.

Working on getting everything together for my mom's 70's birthday. We are having a surprise party for her...and it's coming up WAY faster than I thought. I really expected that we would have the kitchen project completed by now and we don't. Luckily, the party isn't happening here.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Mags, I agree, annoy him! Faaaar better to have the outlet in now before the walls are done and any tiling, etc. is finished. I had given up about having one more outlet installed in my kitchen, but DH insisted an I am glad he did. It was easy and now I have it if I need it and BEFORE the tile goes up.

I am probably not finished yet today, as we have company coming and that always inspires a round of frenzied cleaning, but I did get one very easy albeit important thing done: a cat door installed in the basement door so the litter and food can go downstairs and not in my guest bathroom. This is a huge relief, because I hate smelling cat box, particularly where I know guests will be laying their heads.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Not that much is getting accomplished at the moment... I did manage to clear a ton of insulation that used to be in the ceiling in the family room before it was raised. It's hiding in the garage loft until I'm able to rent an insulation blowing machine, and I hope to add it to whatever cellulose I blow in above the office.

I bought the supplies I need to run a water line under the house so we will have a back yard spigot. When the genius previous owners added on to the back of the house they left the old spigot where the wall used to be. That's roughly underneath our couch in the family room.

Today I need to actually put it in, submit for two more quotes for pantry doors, and play with the drywall some more. I'm completely unmotivated to do any of this though.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Thanks, I think I will just have to make him more annoyed when he returns from vacation in mid-June.

Meanwhile there is some DIY to do. Cab maker put shelves all the way up the broom cabinet when I asked for 1 adjustable one. I fell in love! So I'm relocating the brooms, swiffer, etc to just inside the basement entry. Space needs a real freshening up. Recycling some old primer and white paint. Hope to get the primer on today.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Got the finish coat of paint on the beadboard on the back of my peninsula this morning.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I got one stool assembled and opened up the box with pendants. I love both even better in person!

Yesterday I actually went grocery shopping, cooked a meal in time for company and cleaned. Oh and did two loads of laundry! There is no accounting for my surge of well-being except I ditched my anti-depressants. I don't get it but I don't care, I have been feeling great!

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Inspired by all y'all's DIY threads, and with the weather FINALLY cooperating and an extra weekend day....

This Bad Self gotter to werk...

Key part of her project.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

Better tan lines and dinner marinating in the fridge. Getting ready to start the fire. It's a cold beer and steak kind of day.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

WooHoo...I get to play. I haven't sewn in at least 10 years. I love to sew, but time is not my friend right now. I used to make a lot of my own clothing (including blazers) and could whip out household stuff in no time at all.

So over two years ago I bought a ton of fabric to make curtains for our kitchen pantry and windows. DH gave me the side-eye when I said I was going to make them. Fast forward to the additional bolt of fabric for my daybed cover, ten different striped fabrics in my sewing cabinet for the many bags and aprons I plan to make for friends......

In the meantime, I finally convinced my mom to part with one of five machines she has......my grandmothers Bernina 930. I've drooled after it forever!

Today was the day. I got out the new-to-me machine, a piece fabric, no pattern, but an idea and went to town. I travel a lot for work and use a $1.00 Target Hello Kitty bag for my iPad and net book, putting them in the front pocket of my suitcase when I get on the plane and pulling it out before my suitcase goes in the overhead. That way I don't have three carry-ons and my nice purses don't get ruined.

So, without further delay....my first sewing attempt in 10 years - including a French seam on heavyweight linen! I've got lots of room for improvement, but the curtains may get done before the year is over!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Very nice, spanish! I finally have room in our new house to set up my sewing machine, can't wait to sew again!

Tonight I am going out to the barn to start organizing. Crap has been getting dumped in the doorway for not knowing where to put it and it is becoming problematic. Plus I can't find the hoof tools I need or know where my equipment is....gah!

• fishymom
    9 years ago

1929, love your bag! I have several sewing machines, but my old Bernina 830 Record is still my favorite. It was my first sewing machine, my husband bought it for me used when my 22 year old daughter was born. I love to smock and made most of my daughter's clothes when she was young. I am so looking forward to grandbabies so I can smock and sew for them!

We are making progress, took yesterday off, but were back on the backsplash this afternoon. We had to move an outlet that was not lined up properly and make decisions about corners and wall ends. The main wall and pony wall behind the sink are done, but we have to call the granite installers back to make a repair. We discovered that the bar counter is not level. It is off by 1/8 of an inch, which we did not notice until we started tiling the knee wall. We went ahead and finished the tile, but the top row will have to be redone after the bar counter is leveled. Fortunately, we have plenty of extra tile!

We still have the range wall left to do, It is my fault it didn't get done. I was thinking about adding a shelf behind the range and spent a couple of days looking at my options before deciding to proceed without it. I have lain out the pattern for behind the range, I think I am going to do a 2 ft x 2 ft frame with a herringbone pattern. I did a mock-up, do you think the framed herringbone looks OK with the stacked tiles? The tiles are bone colored and the frame is an ivory Travertine that matches our floors.

I am going to try something to make it easier to cut the tiles for the herringbone pattern. I am going to glue the pattern onto cardboard and pull all but the bottom layer of paper off. Then I will cut off the edge tiles that need to be cut. I am hoping that will work and make it easier to make all those cuts.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Nice work on the bag, Spanish!

This past weekend my older son had a soccer tournament in the US, so we went back and forth for that, so not much was accomplished. Today I FINALLY managed to get out to buy some flowers, but Costco was all out of hydrangeas and tomato plants. I had to pay a premium at another store. I bought three hydrangeas for the front, two premade planters for the front porch/stairs, a cherry tomatoe plant, a new rhubarb plant, cucumber, watermelon, basil, cilantro (which I can't grow to save my life but try every year!) and mint. I also ended up with a hot banana pepper as I didn't check the tag on the pepper plant I picked out from the orange pepper row. I might try to exchange that one.

I came home, unloaded all the groceries etc, mowed part of the lawn that didn't get mowed the other day, had lunch and planted the hydrangeas and the herbs. Did a bit of tidying up the back porch area where we have our table and chairs.

I work the next four days, 12 hours each, so I won't be accomplishing too much. I'm off next weekend, so I'll be weeding the area along the fence where I'll be planting the rhubarb, watermelon and cucumber then. It's so full of weeds! I am not looking forward to it!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Got filthy and sweaty but feel sooo much better about the barn! I can actually move around in there now, know where to find (most of) what I need, and even have a little space for grooming if we do not want to stand in the rain or blazing sun. A lot more work ahead, but so nice to have it somewhat organized and CLEAN!

Did find where the cat has been eating rabbits, though. Blech! :o/

Before:

After:

I can walk right in the door now!

And do my grooming inside if I wish, once I pull some nasty nails and spikes out of the wall....

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Plumbing changes to the kitchen are done. That's a huge (mental) accomplishment anyway. While underneath the house I took the time to run a water line from where the rear of the house used to be to where it is now. The geniuses we bought the place from didn't bother to have the spigot relocated when they had an addition built so it stayed where it was, basically underneath a sectional in the family room.

I'm happy, now I can water things in the back yard without connecting 4 or more garden hoses together. If everything goes well with the new flooring person today that would make things even better.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love the bag Spanish; great job. Fishymom, I like that backsplash design. A reminder that I will be part of the ABB club! Greenhaven, a 'big' clean out

Although not my accomplishment per se, my countertops are being templated now, a day early!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

LUCKY!!!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

"LUCKY!"

lolol

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - some busy folks on GW!
    Fishymom - love that tile job
    Mags - you must be excited
    Geenhaven- wow - lots to do!
    1929Spanish - I have an old sewing machine that I am afraid to try after my DD and DB argued for hours on how to fix it!

As far as me - nothing indoors this past week. Planted my seedlings (a bit early per tradition but looked at the forecast and seemed safe). Weeded some of the 100,000 maples trees in our small lot - they are weeds!

Then headed to Kentucky for some serious bicycling! Gorgeous roads, landscape, horse farms, and major hills.
    We rode over 250 miles in the 4 days and I am quite stiff and sore as I more than doubled my mileage for the year.

Returned and planted my beans and cukes and it was supposed to rain and of course it didn't.

Now, just have to finish my herb box on the deck and find homes for some orphan tomatoes.

I should have my first lettuce this week. Volunteers from last year - love how I get my lettuce started by just letting some go to seed.

I was going to include a picture but my phone picture never made it to my gmail - maybe I turned myself into Spam!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wowser!
    Spanish, I, too, used to sew and make my own clothes (including blazers, lined skirts and pants, etc.) but haven't in ages. I also was an addicted, OCD quilter. I still have much of my quilting fabric, although when I got into computers, sewing anything fell by the wayside.

In 1976 when I graduated from high school, my mom gave me the choice of a typewriter for college or a sewing machine. I took the Singer sewing machine and never looked back. In 2003 it went up in smoke, so I got myself a coveted Bernina. Don't remember the model number, but am eyeing it, because I, too, will need window treatments! :) I have some Balinese silk my sister brought me back ....

Greenhaven, great job. Shicksal? Moving plumbing is HUGE and such a relief to get it off the table, isn't it? Tiling, shopping, thinking all take a bunch of energy.

Yesterday I started emptying my MBR, which has been a storage room for 9 years. Multi-Purpose Fred is putting a final drywall mud coat on, after which I can paint.

Since I'm to the point in a few rooms where they can be completed (i.e. have electric and plumbing) except for the trim, I'm feeling like I'm finally going to have some pretty rooms. This, my dear souls, is an accomplishment! But emptying this room filled up two other rooms to the ceiling. Believe it or not, I don't have that much stuff. I'm a frequent Freecycle donator when I get the bug to free myself of, well, just STUFF! Just no where to put what's left over.

Note to self: Build that closet and put shelves in it.

I also went to work, which is another accomplishment, since it was so beautiful out.

Today is Tuesday and I have yet to see what's coming! :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Cats are sequestered in my bedroom. Guest bath is being demolished.

This is in my driveway:

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, you were a busy beaver, nice job! Mags, I can't wait to see your countertops, your kitchen looks great already! Great driveway shot Linelle, good luck on the bathroom, we did 3 at the same time 5 years ago, almost did me in!

I'm waiting for a call back from the KD regarding the granite counter that needs to be leveled, I'm really hoping this is not a big hassle. I laid out the herringbone frame this morning, my husband is going to try to pick up some mesh today so I can glue it down tomorrow. If he can't get the mesh, I'm going to proceed with my cardboard idea. I am pretty happy with the backsplash so far, glad I went with the stacked tiles. I'm looking forward to getting the grout done, ready to be done with this kitchen!

I finally finished my spice project! All 54 jars are labeled and filled except a few spices from my garden that are drying and the mixes I need them for. My daughter gave me the ceramics for my birthday. I keep salt and my everyday spice mix in the smaller ones on the left and garlic,onions and shallots in the larger ones on the right. I use the little pinch pots for my fresh ground pepper and fresh parsley.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Today was kind of a 'blah' day for getting things accomplished. I hauled *even more* demo debris out to the street for trash pickup which doesn't sound like much but I've been disposing of things every week since last July and there is only one more week worth of junk left to remove. For us that's a nice symbolic accomplishment.

Also we have a quote AND a timeline for the flooring getting finished! That means cabinets are soon a reality and all the plates, dishes and other fun stuff that goes inside them will finally be back where they belong instead of scattered throughout the house!

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the nice complements on the bag. I can only see room for improvement, but I'm ready to tackle the curtains...well, after we celebrate our anniversary this weekend.

We are also working on our backyard design so we can use the yard again. I found an 1920's era concrete laundry sink on CL that we're going to install and today I received the Newport Brass faucet I found on EBay for that set up. Just waiting for the revised plan from the landscape architect and we're off on another project!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I accomplished running the mower out of gas in th middle of the pasture. Yay me.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Yesterday we drove to the city to pick up our new counter stools then drove back home and assembled all six of them. I was really worried about the stools because:

A. They have chrome bases and I already have a lot of different metals going on

and

B. They are fairly modern and the rest of the space is cottage-y/transitional-ish.

but they look pretty darn good! And we have seating! Yay!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Spanish - Happy Anniversary and have fun sewing. Someday...

Greenhaven - bummer

edeevee - picture!

Today - I plan to get the place picked up some (I was gone for almost 6 months with episodic returns and will be home for almost 2 months!) - Now, I should be able to get into cooking again!

Oh - and I discovered that I failed to include an electronic 1099 from a bank account, so have to submit an amended tax return. Never even thought to look on-line for a 1099 as they always come in the mail - fortunately, it is only a small amount...

And I need to set up my FB auction for my last Boston Marathon Charity event.

How did I do all of this when I was working full time plus??

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Yesterday my guest bath was demo'd. Very noisy. Two very good things:

1. Nothing bad was revealed. I had feared they would discover some undetected leak and need to expand the scope of work. But it was nice and clean and dry.

2. The silence when they stopped taking up the tile.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linelle, you still have a guest bath! It's just that you're in to that rustic look and have strategically placed yours in the drive. Easily accessible. Industrial. Cool.... (You buyin' that?)

Yesterday I didn't do much but I did move and organize more crap out of my MBR in preparation for the final drywall coat. I'm thinking tomorrow I might go and buy paint. I am choosing Glidden (I think it is) Natural Wicker for the walls, and 50% lighter for the ceiling. I'm thinking 75% lighter for any trim I end up putting up. Monochromatic, but so different because of the shading.
    I'm going to need 5 gallon buckets of this stuff, so thank goodness for DirectBuy and Sherwin Williams! Yeah!

I went to work. (Accomplishment!)

Today I am completing the (re)organization of the crap I moved out of the MBR and into now 3 other rooms. No reason to have so much clutter when I can stack much of it to the ceiling in the den and close those gorgeous pocket doors I reclaimed! :)

Oh --- the guys are here to remove and hopefully replace 2 of my solar panels. Somehow, despite a lack of trees or anything that could have landed on them, two of them have turned up to be smashed concave. We have no explanation and no, it wasn't snow.

I don't have a power bill right now, but that could change based upon this winter's huge bills, averaging, how little I use these warm weather seasons, and the panels themselves, Obviously.

Called around because my wonderful dog, Morgan, needs an ultrasound. She had her spring shave and her tummy is very distended on one side. I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't been shaved. She's not in any pain, eating like the little pig she is, and seems just fine. It's impeding her gait a little, though, so I'm worried. She's also between 12 and 14 years old, so we don't know.... wish us the best!

Oh - lowest ultrasound in the Annapolis/southern Maryland pricing? INCLUDING the office visit? Like you could get one without the other, right? $425. Soapstone, you're just gonna have to wait.

In the meanwhile, here's a picture of my panels and the solar water system on their installation day in 2006. Like many hillbillies, I used to keep my fridge on the back porch. I just realized I don't have a newer picture of the porch area. Mucho different now. :) That dog is Duke, who turned out to be my ex-POC-GC-DH's girlfriend's dog and I never knew. Does it ever end?

Anyway.... without further ado

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Bad dog! Okay, not really, but we have to take it out on someone, right? I am jelly of your solar panels. Would love to do that.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Over the weekend I:

- DH and I helped serve lunch at a graduation party for our pastor's son - got roped into it at the last minute, and ended up spending 4 hours in the church kitchen. Whew! Pastor owes us lunch.

- finally got around to buying annuals for my flowerpots (May really got away from me this year)

- planted said annuals

- helped the neighbors take the tarp off their pool, added my hose to help fill it faster

- climbed up into the attic to reconnect the duct to my in-line bathroom fan - it's been off for a few months, but I have to take half the stuff out of my bedroom closet to get to the attic access, so I put it off. But it was time to do it, before it got too hot up there.

- Hung out with my college-age kids - one of them is headed off to northern Minnesota, to spend the summer canoeing at a Boy Scout camp.

• byzantine
    9 years ago

Yesterday I finished booking stuff for our upcoming trip to Scotland.

Today, I removed the debris, trash and construction materials piled up on my squat rack in the basement, cleaned it with the shop vac, hosed and wiped it down. I haven't been able lift down there for months. It is now shiny clean and ready to use. Exercise is my primary source of stress relief, and I've only had skate practice to keep me sane. Of course, now I'm tired, but if I can't have a kitchen, at least I have a place to burn off the frustration.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scotland, how wonderful!
    And it sounds like a huge accomplishment to get the junk outta your exercise area! We need to do whatever it is to remain (somewhat) sane.

Yesterday, (Thursday) I stacked and moved more stuff. It was a rainy day, so I slugged about. I did go out for a bite to eat, which was deeeelicious. Then home and to bed.

Today (Friday) I'm taking my very hungry dog to her ultrasound. We're going to find out about the mass in her tummy. I'm worked and scared, but information should help.

Other than that, my plan is to try to continue to organize and get ready for a sanding day today with my Multi-Purpose Fred. I cannot wait to get to paint! Geeze, I can't believe those words come out of me. I really hate to paint.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Prayers and sending lots of good vibes for ultrasound results.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

I weeded the garden (again), weeded the front half of the big flower beds (again). I was going to do the back half until I snapped off the top of a lily :( The girls and I went to the greenhouse and picked out a bunch of plants for the fairy garden they are dying to have.

I've decided I need another me for working indoors while I work outside. I just can't keep up with both this time of year.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

"I've decided I need another me for working indoors while I work outside. I just can't keep up with both this time of year"

Meeee too, and I do not even have kids at home anymore! Moving a farmette for an interstate move is enough to set me back a few years, though.

I cannot even start listing all the things I have been getting done, but it is a lot and it feels good! The kitchen IS on semi-hold until my company leaves net weekend.

The Guy came and fixed my roof, and that is a load off my mind. I am just chipping, chipping, chipping away at my tasks.

The most fun is when I get to saddle up Jane, my gorgeous little 1953 Ford 8N tractor and bush hog the back acres or, like today, chain some small trees and yank 'em out!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Friday was a bit scary. Morgan, my dog, had her ultrasound today. They found the mass in her tummy is coming from and involving her spleen, plus it looks like she has another on her adrenal gland. They determined her cough, which she's had forever (and yes, treated several times to no avail) might be a condition vs. an illness. She has mucus build-up there.

They took some cells from one of the masses, and will do something with it. They were firm that it's not a biopsy, but some kind of analysis. Cystology will return early in the week, so I'll know more, what and if anything could/should be done. She's not in pain, just moving slowly. 6 months ago she was jumping in the air and spinning for food. Today she's a plodder. She's between 12 and 14 years old, we think.

I came home to find my Multi-purpose Fred had come to sand my MBR. oooooo so smooth the walls are! ooooo so dusty. Isn't it wonderful!?! I consider my walls moving forward.

When my drywall is done and painted, I'll have only trim, (miles of it) the edges of the hardwood floors to finish (ex-DH's another "good enough for now" jobs) a baseboard heater to install, and my plumbing in the MB to be corrected. None of these jobs is big, but it will mean...

Oh... yes,... really...
    Wait for it!?!!!...

A room in my house is completely finished. Done.
    I can look everyone I know in the eye and say, "Yes, there's progress. My MBR is [shout] DONE!

[doing the jiggle happy dance]

In the meanwhile, here's a picture of my Multi-Purpose Fred standing on the bed, patching the ceiling.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Congrats on great progress! Fingers crossed, prayers, and more good vibes for good cyto results.