Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristofdp_gw

Backsplash hesitation

kristofdp
9 years ago

We are installing new kitchen cabinets (cream white shaker) while keeping the granite we had in our old kitchen. The granite is a darker grey with some brown/white/gold undertones. Hardware will be oil rubbed bronze. All stainless appliances.
The room is very bright overall with lots of natural light.
For the backsplash, we picked a white/grey marble tile that has some subtle yellow/cream undertones in it. Picture of the various materials attached.

What do you all think of this backsplash choice? I am finding it very difficult to visualize what the end result would look like. Any recommendations on grout color would also be appreciated. Light grey would seem like the safer choice but am contemplating ivory as an alternative to bring out more of the subtle yellow undertones.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture of room with cabinet frames installed

• Bunny
    9 years ago

kristof, the photo of your samples has a yellow cast to it, so it's kinda hard to get a sense of their true colors and undertones. We all have issues with taking photos and getting true colors, plus everyone's monitor is going to display a little differently. For instance, look at your cabinet door sample next to the white border of the website. I'm sure your door isn't a golden khaki. :) So it's hard for the rest of us to grasp what all your elements really look like.

I don't know why people try to figure out a backsplash tile before all the other elements go in, but it's very common. Don't be in too big a hurry to figure it all out at once. Definitely wait until your cabinets and counters are installed, plus your lighting. See how it looks at all times of day. You will know so much more about what will go well together than you do now.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I agree everything looks yellowish, except for the tile, which looks much more white. Movement wise I think it is OK, but color wise, no. But monitors arent true.

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Linelle. Agree the final go/no go on the backsplash can only be decided once the cabinets and counters are in. Unfortunately we are in a bit of a time crunch so am trying to work this in parallel as much as possible. You are right about the lighting in the picture, that was way taken in the evening and way too yellow. I tried taking the same picture again in natural light. No khaki indeed as far as I can tell :). Hope this helps people shape an opinion.

• User
    9 years ago

In both pictures the tile reads a bit more white and cool than your cabinets, which seem warm toned and more yellowin tint. In small doses this doesn't seem problematic. But I wonder if that would still hold once the whole kitchen was in place.

Where did you find your tile btw? It is very nice.

• User
    9 years ago

just going by what I see on my screen, could be different in real life, but the gray tone of the backsplash seems to bring out the brown tones more in your countertop than the gray.
    I would try to keep the same undertones in your backsplash and counter. The counter looks more brown gray and the backsplash more blue grayl

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

On my monitor, the cabinets look cream, the granite looks brown, and backsplash tile looks grey and white. I see very little grey in the granite. The granite and the cabinets look good together, but the backsplash doesn't seem to go with either.

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you smalloldhouse. The tile is from the tile shop, it's called meram blanc polished. Agree it has a lot more white than the other elements in the kitchen. It does have a (very) subtle ivory-type undertone to my eye, which together with the grey shades in the tile I am hoping would somehow tie everything together. Any thoughts on whether an ivory grout would look good here?

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture, with daylight coming from the side. Anyone see any ivory/warmer white undertones in this? I would not be surprised if the problem were with my eyes instead of your monitors :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

kristof, those last two pictures give a much better idea of what the true colors are. I actually like cream and gray together, the right cream and gray. To me your granite reads quite brown with yellow/gold. It looks great with your cabinet door, but the tile, beautiful as it is, seems to be the odd man out.

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, much appreciate the input.
    For those that don't see the tile working here: any idea what would work better? I have been looking at various ceramic subway choices but they all seemed too glossy for my tastes considering how light the room already is. Also, am trying to avoid going overboard on the yellows.

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another daylight picture, close-up of just the granite and tile. Somehow it seems I can convince myself either way. Am thinking the grout color could have a big impact too.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I can see now why you are confused and undecided. That picture looks much different than the others and I can now see the grey in the granite. Maybe it is when you add the third element (the cabinets) that things start to look "off"?

• kristofdp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you jellytoast. I think you are right in that seeing the cream cabinets next to the granite brings out more of the gold/yellow while when looking at just the granite and the tile the grey tones in the granite tend to come out more. Any thoughts on whether that is going to look bad or good? Am thinking this marble backsplash could make for a nice transition between the granite on the lowers and the cream color of the uppers... but I may very well be wrong...
    also, still looking for opinions on ivory vs light grey for grout color.

• gothaml
    9 years ago

I don't think it works, it is the battle of gray vs brown that I am having with my sofa and living room rug selection.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I don't think the white and gray tiles look quite right. Its beautiful tile, just seems a bit too white for the cabinets and counter tops. I'd go with a similar tile in a cream/beige tone instead, or a light beige subway tile.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I agree, you have cool backsplash and warm counters and cabs. Keep looking for a warm marble tile, if that is what you like. I just got one for my kitchen, it is, in my eyes, vastly different than the cooler-toned marbles.

This is reading a little darker than it actually is: