Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Etura Echhhh

Home Depot sold a product known as Etura that was marketed as a cheaper Corian. It was that, and such a colossal failure that is was soon discontinued. This stuff is home brewed polyester and much of it was cast to template, edge build-up included with varying thickness. Having made a good living selling Corian for many years, this junk is a particular recurring nightmare when I get a call to fix it. Price shoppers beware; there are those catering to your greed. This homebuilder saved a ton, and I�m sure he passed it on to his buyers. Right.

This is the right side seam failure. There is no corner radius and no seam support, both required by DuPont for Corian.

Left side seam failure, no seam support, no corner radius.

Bar top left corner failure, no seam support, no corner radius.

Close-up of homeowner attempted bar repair. A little bit of internet reading and this is what you get.

This is where it has to get worse before it gets better and when I don�t particularly want homeowners to watch. The straightedges guide the vacuum-equipped router to dado over the cracks. The wildly inconsistent thickness of home brew precludes my going too deeply and the unsanded and unlevel bottom prevents any seam support installation.

The bar has been routed, the insert adhered, and is being belt sanded to flush. Many solid surface manufacturers disallow belt sanders because of the heat they generate. They generate heat because the operator hasn�t selected an aggressive enough grit and doesn�t pay enough attention.

Before the reveal pictures, we need to look at this edge of the cutting board that supplied the repair material. Notice the stratification of the particulates from top to bottom? That makes consistent repairs nearly impossible even when your inserts are nearly flush with the existing tops. When you sand through the "cream" at the top, you�re exposing more particulates which doesn�t match the existing "cream". Plus, in their attempts to lower costs, there is no UV inhibitor, so the new screams out from the old suntanned stuff.

This is the finished repaired bar. The insert was nearly flush, but I still abraded the "cream". The leg leading in nearly disappeared. Go figure.

This is the left finished repair and is a good as they get.

Hoooweee. This is the right repair. Let�s hope he puts in that skylight he was talking about and it catches up to the rest of the top. Same procedure, same adhesive, same repair material, same operator, and three different results.

You�ve got to refinish all the tops for consistency.

These folks had this work done because they�re fixin� to sell. Sellers will pay me now or pay me when they get their first discounted offer. If you�ve got failed tops, why not get them fixed now and enjoy them, instead of fixing them for strangers? (I�m speaking metaphorically here, this is not an advertisement.) Yeah, the new owners will probably replace the tops, but they aren�t going to replace the tops for less than $500.00.

Comments (4)