Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Part II: take a peek at my "soft modern" small kitchen design?

Posted by feisty68 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 13:00

Gosh I did go on and on in my last thread!

JDE24: "I agree removing the soffit could look clean if you didn't have a visible L. Exposed ducts might look good. Extending it allows the flexibility to add uppers that look built in later if more storage is needed."

- good points. Thanks for the input - I haven't quite thought through the design there. The range wall may have two wall wounted articulated lamps, and it may have an open shelf. A soffit could look slightly cute above those - if symmetrical. Exposed duct could be painted.

Jennifer and Bbtrix, glad you like the artwork :) . Bbtrix, having an artist mother you probably have a very good idea what my mother's artworks mean to me. I have quite a few - one of which is another large (44" high, 48" wide), more colourful piece that will be hung in the dining area. I am very lucky that my husband likes them - he is not a big fan of artwork on the walls but he responds to hers.

My challenge is to minimize visual clutter in this room that is kitchen, dining, living, homeschooling, my home office, media centre, and playspace. I'm hoping that offwhite 15" deep low cabinetry (continuing along the range wall past the base cabinets) will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 1 thread

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 23:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Part II: take a peek at my "soft modern" small kitchen design

suggestion: Post a link to the previous thread

o

MareLuce - good suggestion. I just did in the first post.

o

Huge progress yesterday - dh did permanent faucet install, we shoved the range in place and hooked it up (checked level), and did temporary hookup of dishwasher.

I've been using the counters carefully. It looks like the granite needs at least a fourth sealer coat. Water soaks in after about 30 min so I'm definitely keeping things dry. Fabricator won't do it so I will have to spend $50 on the stuff they have at Home Depot. I hope the next coat does the trick because you can't use the counters for about 24 h and I am starting to REALLY like counters after almost 3 months of not having any.

I got a lot of stuff off the dining/living floor that is back in the kitchen and I can now start deciding where stuff goes even though I don't have cabinet fronts - just have to treat the drawers like shelves, sort of.

o

It must feel so satisfying, feisty, to start getting your kitchen back! I am excited for you. excited enough to fire my own reno back up again, lol!

o
RE: Part II: take a peek at my "soft modern" small kitc

Greenhaven, you're still already ahead of me :) . I haven't seen your thread lately but I'll keep my eye out for your progress.

Shameful horror: I am paying for my sins of leaving packaged food all around my living area (pantry ended up in open boxes on the floor) and having boxes and disarray everywhere. I found A mouse dropping. Never has this happened in the 12 years I've lived here. I had some boxes in the parkade and I suspect that I might have brought one up :( . The building is only 12 years old and there are no entry holes. The situation could not be worse to have a mouse appear on the scene. Normally I am really careful about food storage, using Mason jars to keep things clean, etc. But I have relaxed things a bit under the circumstances. Now everything has to be inspected and I'll be tossing anything suspect.

Tomorrow I have to order more Rubio Monocoat samples.

And pick up this $200 viscose rug to see if it will work. In the mockup below the undertones don't work but I haven't seen it IRL:

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 1:47

o

This the rug that I like - found it for $150. Sorry to sneak in some non - kitchen stuff here, but you totally see this from the open concept kitchen. Rug connects nicely with the River White granite. There will be low bookshelves on both walls that the painting covers. Photo is terrible. There is a tree and mountain outside the window but my camera won't show you. Now it has to pass the dh test.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 21:27

o

Feisty, I think it looks great! The painting your Mom made is awesome! It's coming together!

o

Thanks MGMum. Fortunately my dh likes the rug so we have a decision! (That's a relief because I annoyed him with previous rug choice talk). More importantly, he likes the painting! (First time hung in our home). I might lower it by a couple of inches.

o

If those chairs are staying I wouldn't lower it. You have just enough visual relief above the backs of the chairs. It is a fabulous piece, your mom's got some skillz!

o

Wow, your space is transforming so nicely. Love the rug - quite a find. Love the chairs too! Is it possible to take a pic from an angle that we see the granite and rug? I'd love to see more!

You made big progress yesterday. We're starting to move things back into our newly open space too, but are in delay mode until we are done with the messy stuff. I've been searching for rugs, pendants, counter stools, and dining table and chairs. My walnut island top is arriving this afternoon and I want to see it in person before finalizing colors and styles.

I can't recall what you decided for lighting. Were pendants nixed? Also, you had drawer organizers on your to do list, did you pick any yet? Let me know if you have some good sources besides Ikea and Wood Hollow.

o

Paintings look awesome. I agree, it looks like they should be lowered. I usually aim for the middle to be eye level, approx. 60" off the floor. But, my DH is 6'4" and in the hanging process everything inches up bc his eye level is approx. 68" off of the floor. Luckily, the extra holes are usually hidden by the artwork.

All of the colors (rug, artwork, walls, countertop) look light, serene, modern.

o

The walls haven't been fixed or painted yet, so I'm not too worried about making holes. The paintings aren't hung properly yet. I have to buy proper picture wire (that doesn't stretch) and add discreet brackets as well. Because we have LOTS of building jiggling due to seismic activity, things don't stay level. So in the meanwhile I will probably try the paintings a bit lower.

Bbtrix, you are wise to look at your walnut top before ordering other stuff. I really think it works best to add things layer by layer. I was scared to finalize the cabinets and wall paint before having so much granite in the room - just don't want to have elements fighting. Woods especially can be tricky.

For lighting - I will primarily be using halogen track. My dh will help me order lamps (bulbs) that have a wide beam angle and diffused light. There will probably be a wall-mounted accent light on either side of the range.

For drawer organizers, I've only bought IKEA stuff so far. I might DIY the cork knife dock (the original can be bought at Bed Bath & B):
http://www.kjandco.ca/2012/02/knife-dock-diy.html

The chairs are IKEA Poangs of course. I have mixed feelings about them being so recognizably IKEA but they are VERY comfortable, the leather has been bomb-proof with messy kids around, and they are "visually light" which is a bonus. They also have tall backs for my tall husband - that can be hard to find these days. The kids love the little couch, it's pretty comfortable, and the cover is washable and replaceable. For the time being those furniture pieces will stay because I don't think we have the budget to upgrade furniture.

"Is it possible to take a pic from an angle that we see the granite and rug?"
- Bbtrix, you asked for it! Warning - between the kitchen area and the living area is a MESS! Boxes everywhere sitting on Ramboard that is still covering most of the hardwood. There is a lot of cleaning, decluttering, and organization that needs to take place. And...the camera can't seem to handle the lighting situation here, no matter what mode I use. This photo reveals an issue that the dining table pendant is not ideal (blocks the painting from certain angles), but the dining table (and pendant) will be moved so I hope that situation will be improved. White curtains to the right of the window planned.

o

I still think you should not lower those paintings, but I will reserve judgement until I see the alternative. I can be (sorta) open-minded, lol!

I do love your home, especially looking out over that River White.

o

I like this view also. Wish we could see out the window! Now that I can see the ceiling, I think the paintings should be lowered. The chairs are far enough in front that they shouldn't interfere. Love the paintings. Your Mom is very talented and adds an unique touch with the corner design. My mom ended up specializing in photography, hand painting her B&W's. I have quite a collection and plan to incorporate some special arrangements.

o

Yes, it's not a high ceiling so a little more breathing space above would help Bbtrix. Glad you love the piece. Choosing and placing your mother's pieces will be a fun project! I have a lot of pieces and it's not always easy to showcase them.

Greenhaven, your opinion is noted :) . Glad you're liking the overall effect.

o

It looks so good feisty. Your moms painting looks great there. She's one talented lady. You're moving right along....unlike me at a standstill. I'm sure it's nice to get things in their places. I can't wait to see your doors.

o

I've been battling a grease spot in my new White River granite, but otherwise, I have an almost functioning kitchen!! I am trying to put the genie back in the bottle - unpacking boxes and putting things away (in drawers with no fronts at the moment)

It will come as no surprise to folks that I am trouble fitting things in! I'll have to figure out whether to:

1. install open shelving on range wall
2. go to IKEA to order uppers, with my tail between my legs ;)
3. significantly reduce the size of my pantry supplies or
4. take a good look at bonus spaces for pantry storage (stuff in jars or cans could go top shelf of utility closet, balcony, or even parkade)

#3 should probably be part of it. I notice a lot of my pantry stuff is food that I'm not eating much any more. With growing kids and a new husband, somehow nuts and beans are not getting prepared or eaten much any more, for example. Even grains, not as much. I've been super health-foody most of my life but I have to admit that I have given up on some things because folks in my family will simply not eat them.

Non-pantry stuff seems like it will fit OK. The Super Susans are fabulous. My granny china probably needs to be tucked away outside of the kitchen. And glassware/bar stuff.

So I've been fiddling with the heights of drawer glides and trying some non-conventional arrangements: like an oil/vinegar/sauce drawer on top, then a spice drawer, then pantry stuff. That would result in a very tall drawer front on top, a skinny one in the middle, and a medium one on the bottom. It may look odd, but this is a working kitchen. Because I don't have a long bank of cabinetry, I think I am not going to worry about symmetry too much and let the drawer arrangements be ergonomic. I may even sneak in a 4th drawer in one cabinet.

Because the exact drawer glide locations affect the exact drawer front dimensions, I can't order my fronts until I have this all finalized. This is a huge bonus of doing custom fronts though - I am not restricted to the standard arrangements.

o

A few weeks ago, I added pull outs and moved many of the ones I had installed. I took many different sized cans and pantry items, then custom fit the drawers to the most common sizes. The nicest thing about the pull outs, is only the bottom drawer is attached so you can add drawers or reconfigure at any time.

Even once you downsize your pantry supplies, you likely still need a more accessible spot for weekly basics. Your pantry items are designated on the island in the cabinet next to the MW? That's the one you've been fiddling with? Is that your only drawer for staples or are you still planning to have the slim pullout to the left of the fridge?

Please don't feel bad about changing your mind about uppers if they are the truly practical choice. I initially had no uppers on my range wall and intended to put a window on the right side of the range to match the left. That is what I really wanted. Others convinced me uppers were needed, especially for resale. I started putting things away yesterday and it's filling up fast. I would be very short on storage if I did not do those uppers. The reason I went with glass was to keep it light and airy. I know most people would never do as many glass uppers as I did, but it was my compromise. I intend to use pretty containers/baskets to hold things that might otherwise look unattractive, that can quickly be pulled out during cooking or to bring to the table. If you do add uppers, then you can do UCL, in-cabinet, and cove lighting to brighten your space. This type of lighting makes a huge difference.

So, don't rule #2 out, maybe a combination of uppers and shelves. I think it would look fine. It's never too late to change your mind;)!

o

Bbtrix,

I can see now the advantage of pullouts with internal drawers! I'll definitely be making a commitment with the drawers.

I'm not completely following my previous storage plan. Right now I've got about three 24" drawers designated for pantry - one is in the island and there's one on either side of the range - they're drawers on the bottom (less frequently used than other items).

Uppers aren't totally out of the question. I think the hood has to get relocated/installed first. It's really hard to tell what that wall will look like at this point. White Applad uppers that aren't crowding the window would probably look fine.

Your glass-fronted uppers are so pretty and they really do create a more open feeling.

I'm really stubborn though ;) . It takes me forever to make up my mind but once I do I have trouble changing tracks.

o

Feisty,

As you said earlier, you're designing layer by layer and you'll know what is right for you. The uppers are something you can add at any time so you can't go wrong. I just wanted to give you affirmation that it's ok to change your mind. Have a good week!

o

You're coming along so well. I may have the same problem....not having enough space for everything. I agree w/ bb, tho, if you realize later that the uppers are needed, then you just go get 'em. I may be needing to do the very same thing. That is if I can ever order my cabinets! Having a tough time pulling the trigger on those! However, hearing about all of your progress is putting me back on track. I can't wait to see your doors. I loved the last board you posted next to your coutertops. They're going to look great.

o

Bicyclegirl, I was so stressed about ordering the cabinets too! Layout is so important and I was really worried I was missing something critical. I guess I was having trouble with second-guessing myself. At some point I just decided that if I made a mistake I'd make it right even if it was costly. You can do this! I guess I need to do the same thing with my fronts!

Thanks for the permission to change my mind Bbtix and Bicyclegirl :) .

o

What's with the grease spot on your granite? Something is not right about whatever sealant the fabricator used, IMO. I have not been being in the least bit careful with mine, and have even had red wine rings and spaghetti sauce that were left overnight without even a hint of staining. But now you are making me nervous!

o

Errant, I think there just wasn't enough sealant after 3 coats. Of course they covered their butts with that saying I'd need to apply as necessary, etc. They had an answer for everything. But I think it's the new low-VOC solvents they are using due to environmental regulations. We will all be the guinea pigs as they figure out what actually works...but plenty of stuff won't.

I'm hoping the Home Depot stuff will work (I hadn't sealed that area yet). Nothing else is soaking into the 4-coat areas, but I haven't tried hot bacon grease yet.

o

I don't know if this is a good product (maybe Tre or OldGuy would know), but after install they gave me a Dupont starter kit that included Bulletproof sealer, Revitalizer cleaner, and a third spray… some sort of polish. The KD showed me how to use each and said I should use the sealer if I noticed the stone absorbing water (but that it shouldn't need it for quite some time). She said Dupont also makes an oil stain remover, should I somehow ever end up with a stain. Since we have the same stone and I'm not having any problems (knock on wood) maybe you should give it a try?

o

Sounds like a good idea Errant. I'm in Canada though, I'll have to research whether those products are available here. Thing is, I'm not sure whether any more sealer would absorb - the sealer that I used afterwards wasn't soaking in at all - if anything I erred on the side of overapplying. I would like to try an oil stain remover. My stain is not very obvious unless you know where to look, but I can imagine a collection of them not being very attractive. Thanks again.

o

Counter stools arrived today. I cleared off the island and actually prepped a salad at the island while my husband had a beer sitting there and telling me about his day. It felt really nice - a moment that never could have happened in our old kitchen :) . My daughter and I had a snack together there as well. And my son played a video game there for a while. Our main living area is still a mess but a lot of FUNCTION has returned to our kitchen and it is so great!

In search of the perfect comfortable seat cushions - to suit the industrial style of the stools. Obviously not looking for anything frilly.

o

That's so nice that your island is bringing the family together while meals are being prepared. I'm sure it feels good to have them around you.

I am second guessing myself on my cabinets. I just can't decide which cabinets to go w/. My original plan was to do the IKEA cab's w/ custom doors, but one of my walls is going to have about 5 inches of filler. It can be spaced thru out that wall, but I'm not sure how its going to look. I've been looking at RTA cabinets, but the pricing is a little more, so not sure I want to do that. I just can't make a decision. I have a friend that's a designer & she's coming over this Friday to help me sort this out. Hopefully I'll make a decision & get cabinets ordered. I'm ready for this reno to be done!! Especially when I see how well yours is coming along & how nice it's turning out.

I'm so happy for you in getting your kitchen put together! It's looking wonderful & I can't wait to see your doors. I know they'll look as great as the rest.

o

Bicyclegirl, if you post your IKEA planner file here I'll look at it. Or start a thread and post a link here. Just email the planner file to yourself and you'll get a share-able link. People do all kinds of things with those "bonus" spaces, like this:

http://salttree.net/2012/11/pull-out-pantry-for-small-spaces.html/

That one is only 4" wide. I do think IKEA is good value for RTA.

o

Thank you for offering to help me w/ my plan. I actually did post them on here back when I was just beginning the process. I received great advice on placement of everything & to be honest, I don't think there's any other way to do it. Especially now that I've had the electric & plumbing already put in place! The wall that will have 5" of filler is the only thing I'm not thrilled with for the IKEA cab's. However, I'm probably going to go w/ those, & happily. Then, like you, I'll have to get to the next stage & try to figure out the door situation! It's always something.

I'm considering putting an appliance garage in & am not sure how it's going to function w/ the placement of it. I keep meaning to put the plans on here to get opinions, but I just haven't had time. I'll try to get that posted this week & see what you think.

I actually saw that 4" pullout when you (?) posted before & thought that was cool. I thought it might help me w/ that 5" of filler. I just need to figure out where it'll go on that wall. My friend & I are going to lay out all of my options this week & I'm making a decision....hopefully!!

Thank you again.

o

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I was at the pharmacy this evening dropping off a script & the magazines were by there, so I started browsing. I picked up Better Homes & Garden Kitchen 2014 summer edition. I was thumbing thru it & saw a kitchen similar to yours. It looked similar to your layout & had a small window where the sink was & had curtains at the window. I want to say it had open shelving & also the cabinet doors were similar to what you're wanting to do. Not the coloring you want, but a similar washed type look. Your finish will be much nicer than this one. Anyway, thought I'd tell you about it & next time you're by the mags in the grocery store, see if they have it & thumb thru it. I have a feeling you'll recognize the one I'm talking about. I have to go back to pick up the script later this week & if I remember, I'll buy it & scan the pic & post it on here for you to see. It was a great kitchen.

This post was edited by bicyclegirl on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 23:41

o

Oh cool Bicyclegirl! Curtains, huh? You don't see that very often these days so I'm officially intrigued :) . I'll look for it.

Good luck with your designing. I thought I was going to have a 4" pullout but it turned out to be less once everything was installed. Actually, that's still in process.

o

Trying to overcome a complete stall in kitchen renovations. Normal family crises, dh losing interest (!!), and my having ADHD are the main culprits.

I did set up my spice drawer. I ordered spice jars from specialtybottle.com (BRUTAL shipping to Canada but couldn't find a local source). I transferred all my spices to jars and put them in a 24" drawer. Just have to make better labels and alphabetize. Quite a pleasing project because it makes things MUCH easier when I am cooking!

Right now I am trying to focus on getting cabinet fronts:

1. make up my mind *exactly* how I want drawers spaced and how many (gosh darn it!)

2. write up exact measurements accounting for proper gaps and spacing and get quotes

3. order solid oak slab fronts from custom cabinet door maker

4. finalize finish plan

5. order finish products

6. DIY finish.

Here's the lastest mockup of the finish that I am strongly considering. Dh likes it so that is a huge plus. The grain will be mostly horizontal but may have to be vertical in some places (not sure yet). It's Rubio Monocoat Oil in "Stone" over Precolor Easy in "Alpaca White" on red oak (veneer pasted onto cardboard). It looks grey but has the soft beige/green undertones that the River White granite seems to need. It's a bit tricky to know how these products will look on an actual cabinet door - the effect depends on how open the grain is, how it's sanded, etc.

o

The color looks nice! I've been thinking about refinishing the oak cabs in my laundry room with a gray stain, instead of of paint.

o

Thanks Errant!

Refinishing your cabinets would be a big job with the Rubio system - you'd have to get down to bare wood. Chalk paint would probably be the easiest due to minimal prep required. Why would you refinish them?

o

Hey feisty, I haven't been on here much lately & was wondering how you were doing. Obviously you're doing well! You have cabinets, counters, sink & faucet! And apparently a dishwasher!! Way waaaay better than me...I still have an empty kitchen!! I can talk ADHD w/ you, if you like?!! I do have my IKEA cab boxes scheduled to be installed the 2nd week of Aug. Yipee! However, I'm not dealing w/ the fronts until the boxes are in so I can measure w/ them installed. Bummer! I'm sure another month or 2 at the rate I'm going!!

I love this new finish. I think it's very soothing. And, it goes great w/ your river white. Did you talk to Semi Handmade? I think the style you're looking for is what they do & think they could come up w/ a great finish you'd like. Sounds like you may have a custom guy to do your doors tho. Are they going to build them & then you finish them? I know whatever you end up doing, it's going to look great! So far, it's wonderful!

Keep going....you're almost there!

o

LOL bicyclegirl - glad that things are moving forward for you! How exciting! I'll talk ADHD any time. My son is diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I'm afflicted too.

Yes I have some function in my kitchen which is a relief. However, it's so easy to just STOP at this stage ;) so it's a double-edged sword.

I'm planning to order the doors from a recommended local cabinet door fabricator. They will be ready-to-finish and I'll do the finish myself. The Rubio system is easy to DIY and I really love the matte finish. I think my plan would will be a lot cheaper than Semi Handmade, especially with shipping. And I was getting so high maintenance with wanting a matte finish, and certain undertones, etc. that I think it was going to be too hard and expensive to get a custom stain job that I'd like. Plus, custom paint or stain for the doors is costly - it *doubles* the cost of solid oak fronts.

o

Well, I was originally thinking I'd paint the laundry room cabinets, since I already did the kitchen cabinets and they came out great. There aren't nearly as many in the laundry, so I thought I might try my hand at stripping and staining, since I like the gray oak look. I'm still undecided, though. If I do paint, I'll do them the same way I did the kitchen, but another color, probably a gray. I won't use that chalk paint, however. I'm not a big fan of expensive gimmick paints, I'll stick with what I know works ;)

o

Errant - Your kitchen cabinets do look great! Sounds like you have a plan :) . If I did chalk paint (I'm considering it for some furniture) I'd use a DIY recipe.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:04

o

" My son is diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I'm afflicted too."

Yes, me too. Oh, and so easy to stop at this stage? Welcome to my world....

But I have to say, that teaser pic is a real....teaser! lol I am sooo excited for your reveal!

o

Oh Greenhaven, I fantasize about having something to reveal one day!

o

I'm in the same stall mode. Training adorable, mischievous puppy is the excuse. I can only get stuff done during nap time. I forgot how much work puppies are!

Feisty, I'd love to see a pic of your spice drawer!

o

Here's my in-progress spice drawer. "Victorian" square bottles from specialtybottle.com in two different sizes in a 24" IKEA drawer. I will use my Brother label maker. Many spices are missing because I tossed a lot when I transferred everything.

Now you have to go and spend 15 min on your kitchen bbtrix :) . That's my price ;) . Congrats on the puppy!

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:04

o

So my messy boxes everywhere and the Ramboard covering the floor were really depressing me. Even though it was super hot yesterday I moved mountains and imposed a little more order on the situation.

Here's the mid(?) reno kitchen. Still figuring out pantry storage, which will come as no surprise to those who have followed my kitchen design adventure ;) . Cabinet above fridge not installed yet. Actually lots of things remaining to be done. The sun is streaming through the open front door here :D

What I love is that the hardwood was extended seamlessly into the kitchen to allow the kitchen footprint to increase. Before, there was dated tile in the kitchen, with an inelegant transition where the hardwood was actually higher than the tile. Also, there was a wall where the island is. Imagine that?! The beige squares on the wall show the extent of the former kitchen.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 17:51

o

And here's the dining/living area so far. The green crib thingy is a guinea pig cage - it will be painted and relocated. Plans are ~ hang the corner painting a bit lower ~ install continous white low wall cabinets on wall where green crib is ~ low wall bookshelves below corner painting ~ maybe paint or stain offwhite dining table and/or chairs? ~ beg dh to get non-ugly speakers. Not shown: boxes (sigh), temporary bookshelves, wall mounted TV, shelf with tools and reno junk on it.

Comments welcome :)

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 17:44

o

Feisty, it's looking great! So much more light and workable space! It really is quite a change. Love the idea of the low cabinets and bookshelves. Have you ordered your fronts yet?

Thanks for the pic of the spice drawer. It holds a lot of spice. Which sizes did you get? This is one of my next tasks to tackle. I put all mine temporarily in a 15" pullout and there's not enough room.

So, I did my 15+ minutes of work payment, actually several hours. Today, I lightly sanded and put another coat of waterlox on my island. Hopefully this will be the last, but I have a feeling I'll want another. The final coats are so fussy with tiny particulate. I recall a post by 3 Little Fishies about having to accept the dust particles; I guess I'm there. Just after I started spreading the waterlox, my pup and kitty started fighting on the deck - very frustrating to work with him around. I applied it 2 hrs ago and it's looking good so far. When I'm done I'll post the trials and tribulations of working with such a large hunk of wood.

Thanks for the update; I miss your progress posts!

o

No, haven't ordered cabinet fronts yet. Had to tackle the disorder a bit first. I'm trying to finalize the drawer heights then I can order them. I also need to confirm what sandpaper grit they need to be sanded to for optimal application of the Rubio finish.

The spice jars are these:

Victorian Square Glass Jar 3.75 oz (110ml) w/ Gold Lid
VIC3 qty 63 $0.69 $43.47
Victorian Square Glass Jar 6 oz (190ml) w/ Gold Lid
VIC6 qty 14 $0.73 $10.22
http://www.specialtybottle.com/victoriansquarejarsmi.aspx

Glad you made progress today bbtrix! People love Waterlox and it's such a lovely piece of wood.

o

Well, you SAID comments welcome, so...here it goes! :P

okay, first, are you trying two colors on your island? I love the darker one, if so, although that might change drastically once you get your fronts on. If they are as grey as you have shown you want then the lighter color will really pop!

Second, when I saw that beautiful paining in the corner I thought "OH! It doesn't look so bad at all in its lower position!" Then I read on...so, I am plugging again for leaving the height! The only wrench in my works on that is that you said there will be bookcases there. Is that instead of the chairs? Because it would be a crying shame for those chairs (as wicked cool as they are) to cover any bit of that painting, which is a gem.

But I still lovelovelove it! Thanks for sharing pics!

o

Yes, comments are welcome - positive, negative, or neutral :) . I have a thick skin so bring it on.

Greenhaven, no those are not trial colours on the island. I am not sure what treatment to use for the stool side of the island. I might do something like this but stained to match cabinet fronts:

I need to have a vertical trim on the right hand side to create the look of a "side panel" when looking from the narrow side. My kids will kick the island so I am realizing that a durable surface is a must. I also need to organize some kind of footrest attached to the island.

Thanks again for your painting height input. The bookshelves will be behind the armchairs on both walls that the painting covers, and the armchairs will stay there.

o

My 2 cents on the pantry: if you decide that the front closet isn't going to cut it, I think a narrow pull-out pantry at the end of the kitchen run, with a matching bookcase facing into the living room, would not interrupt the flow of things but give you tons of storage. The book case could be divided so it mimics the 3 pillars by the island (then it's a motif, not a compromise!) and offer kid art display on the side that's in line with the kitchen cupboards.

o

Thanks LaurenDM. Every time I've tried vertical storage furniture pieces on either of the long walls, I have never liked how they block light and flow. Also, I am reluctant to create a visual barrier between the dining/kitchen areas since I am trying to integrate them more. I am hoping that beefing up low wall storage will make a difference.

o

I think things are looking great, feisty. It sounds like trying to figure out the pantry thing is a little frustrating. I completely understand. Having a small kitchen makes one get very creative...or pull all of your hair out! I've been trying to figure out where to put my microwave & 2.5 gallon jug of water w/ such a small amount of countertop space! A work in progress. I do like Laurens idea about putting a narrow pull-out pantry at the end of the run, but since you don't want something tall, have you thought about doing 2 side by side pull-outs at the end of the run w/ a nice side panel there? You could get one of the tall IKEA ones & cut it in half? Those pull-out pantry's have a lot of storage. Well, they look like they do....& I'm hoping so since that's what I'm doing!! Just a thought.

I love your idea with the island. I'd make it look like your cabinets. Can't tell you about durability of that, but I'm sure there's something you could do to the finish so it doesn't get destroyed!

Hang in there & keep at it. You'll get it all figured out & it's going to look awesome!

o

Thanks for the comments and encouragement bicyclegirl!

"have you thought about doing 2 side by side pull-outs at the end of the run w/ a nice side panel there? You could get one of the tall IKEA ones & cut it in half?"

I don't want the kitchen to look like it's taking over the dining/living area. I did put a lot of thought into where the base cabinet run should end - right now it's sort of "enclosing" the island including stools when in use.

I'm definitely planning to have BESTA cabinets installed low starting at the end of the base cabinet run - they will be 25" high and 15" deep. That should help with storage in general.

And I need to downsize pantry supplies.

o

I totally understand about not wanting the kitchen encroaching into dining/living area. It's kind of hard for me to see, but now that you pointed it out, I see what you mean. I love the BESTA cab's. They will go so well with your place. You'll come up w/ the perfect plan on what to do w/ a pantry. When I'm stumped on something, I keep looking at kitchens online & hope the perfect solution comes to me when trying to figure it out. A few times, I've hit pay dirt & get this wonderful "ahhhhhh" moment! But, I will say, I'm getting tired of looking at the kitchens & not having mine!! Soon enough. You're doing great!

o

I don't think I have the right camera to photograph this space - they use special lenses right? I'm really tempted to buy the BESTA cabinets and put them together...and see if it nudges dh into action. But he's been going through a health crisis so I don't think I'll do that :( . That's been the reason for the stall for the past month - it's been hard on both of us. Though I want to give myself credit that I have done some good stuff.

Where are you at with your kitchen bicyclegirl?

o

Did you find your brass hardware? I have no idea on the price. I saw them on Pinterest and immediately thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lew's hardware in New York

o

I saw an episode of House Hunters Renovation where the KD used all antique brass hardware and lighting fixtures, and of course I thought of you!

o

MGMum and greenhaven - thanks for your thoughts! The Lew's hardware is lovely. I'm avoiding bar pulls because I know I'd be catching it on clothing all the time. I'm still thinking of spray painting the IKEA pulls I liked because of the budget, which is in the negative. Yikes!

Kitchen has been *completely* on hold :( . My husband has been going through a horrible bout of cluster headaches for almost two months. It was unexpected and it's been really hard on our family :( . When the bout subsides, we'll get back on track because I know it's driving him nuts that the kitchen is not done.

Best to all of you!

o

Sorry to hear of your husband's headaches. I know how awful those can be. Hopefully, he's just about through it :)

o

Yikes, Feisty!! Not fun, for anyone. My sister gets migraines from the Chinooks. Awful.

o

Thanks Errant and MGMum. Health is the most precious thing we have and I am hoping our family gets there.

o

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that. I know how debilitating those can be. Wish I were closer, I would help in a heartbeat! Anything to get out of finishing my own d_n kitchen, lol ;o)

o

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands headaches. I'm sure it's difficult. Hopefully things will get better for him soon.

I love your idea about spray painting the IKEA knobs. I'm sure it'd look great.

Hang in there.

o

Thanks greenhaven and bicyclegirl. I want my life back :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here