Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

DIY cabinet install: some things we learned...

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

So it's pretty daunting when you're looking at $7,000 worth of brand new cabinets, and know your installation will affect not only that investment but also the $3,500 you're about to spend on granite!!!!!

I did a ton of research and made DH read lots of articles on line. We debated installation techniques such as french cleats, and whether or not to rent a cabinet jack thingy.

We're experienced DIY-ers and DH is a marine systems tech and mechanic, so he troubleshoots finicky installations all day long. BUT I want to tell you that installing kitchen cabinets- if you're super-picky like I am- is an amazingly exhausting job. No wonder professional installation is so costly. I believe it takes a pretty skilled carpenter to do this job properly. Getting everything level and square, especially in an old house with out-of-plumb walls and wonky floors, takes an enormous amount of brainpower as well as brawn.

Here's what we did, what we learned, and some tips:

1) Tools: In addition to a 4-foot and 2-foot hand level, we borrowed a laser level... a good one that's self leveling and shoots vertical and horizontal lines. THIS WAS A LIFESAVER. highly recommended! We also had access to bottle jacks, a hot glue gun and thin luan for templating, and a full set of power tools. We had a half-bundle of cedar shingles for shims, and good-quality cordless drills with lights.

2) We used the laser level to find the high and low spots in the floor, to decide where to start. We also marked all the studs. We chose to start with the corner of the L, a 36-inch corner base cabinet. We were extremely careful levelling this cabinet, as it would affect both runs. We used cedar shingles to shim.

3) (We removed the doors and drawers and carefully stacked them with packing material between them while installing. This makes the boxes more likely to rack when fastening them, so you really have to check levels constantly... but protects the doors from tools and ladders and makes installation a lot easier.)

4) We contined installing base cabinets, double-triple-quadruple-checking levels on all surfaces with both laser and hand levels. 5 base cabinets took all of Saturday to install.

5) Sunday morning, we started with uppers, again after carefully measuring our clearances, where the wires for under-cab lighting, etc, needed to be. We examined the trim pieces available and planned out how to fill gaps before we started. Because our range is a TRUE 30" wide, and we needed to leave a bit of space to slide it in, we had to decide how to deal with the uppers above it, whose measurements are exactly 30". We decided to make 1/8" cherry spacers at both ends of the row, rather than on both sides of that 30" upper, so as not to break up the rythm of the gaps between the doors. The 1/8" offset between uppers and lowers is not distinguishable. But that decision alone took about 30 minutes!

6) We assembled all of the uppers in the run, with the exception of the fridge cabinet, on the floor, carefully aligned and fastened together. We installed temporary cleats screwed to the wall at the line we shot to indicate the bottom of the cabs. We readied a padded plywood support and two bottle jacks to approximately the height needed. Then, DH and our friend hefted the cabinet assembly up to the shims, and we got the bottle jacks and shims in place. We then spent an hour or so leveling, shimming, and fastening.

7) Next was the biggest conumdrun: the fridge end cover panel. We probably spent 4 hours on this piece alone. It's an expensive hunk of wood, and we were worried about taking off too much. Yet even after repeated careful measuring, we could not get the geometry right to get it slid into place between the uneven wall, ceiling and floor. Finally DH decided to use a trick they use in boatbuilding, where NOTHING is square or plumb! He used thin (1/8"?) luan strips and a hot-glue gun to make a template. We then carefully cut the panel to fit (scoring the finished veneer and taping it before cutting with a new sharp down-cut blade in the jigsaw). We also cut wedges off the back top and bottom in order to have the "wiggle room" to fit the big panel into the wonky space. Those places are behind cabinetry so never seen unless you pull the fridge out.

8) The over-fridge cab was also a bear and took several hours. We had to build out blocking on all 3 sides since we were adding small filler strips (we milled down some cherry) around the fridge for a "built-in" look and the box was an inch or so narrower and everal inches shallower. Same techniques: temporary cleats, shims, and multiple levels. (With this one it was just the 2 of us and we also had to make props out of 2x4 and a boathook (!) because we didn;t want to screw a temporary block to the cover panel side). You can see the red laser lines in the photo above.

9) We went around and double checked everything for squreness/plumbness. The boxes do rack when you fasten them, often throeing your careful leveling out of whack when you tighten down the screws. We needed to back a couple of screws off and relieve some of the tension to get everything as perfect as possible.

We still have to install the top molding, light rail below, secure the island boxes and put the end panels on the island. Here's what we have so far, covered in plastic to protect from today's final drywall sanding.

Comments (10)

• chachashea
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! This is why we didn't DIY. Looks great.

• morton5
    14 years ago

I don't know which impresses me more-- how great your kitchen is looking or your amazing fortitude. I'm glad you are in the home stretch and look forward to seeing your finished kitchen. Thanks for sharing the helpful tips.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I am very very grateful that you took the time and effort to post this. We will be building our own cabs (by we I mean DH), and obviously installing them as well. I will bookmark this for sure as DH is very very meticulous and exacting in his work. Me, on the other hand is the queen of eyeballing things and I always think I'm good to go. I think I nearly give my guy a heartattack. So... I'm delegated to re-finishing, designing, planning, and material selection. Not a bad gig!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad its helpful. Seriously: invest in (or borrow) a GOOD laser level. Like one of the $150 ones. it will make your lives so much easier!

• svwillow1
    14 years ago

The laser level was a help, but we also found that having quality six foot and three foot levels were necessities in leveling the base cabinets front to back, side to side, and on the diagonal. This is particulary important if you plan on having stone countertops.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Indeed- good hand levels. The laser level did allow us to shoot a line across the front edge, back edge and sides all at once, though, if you positioned the line just so. If it's at the same level as the top of the cabinet, that lets you position all 4 sides by laser first, then you can finely adjust with hand levels...

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

The cabinets I bought and installed came with adjustable leg levellers rather than the fixed toekick base. It is much easier to adjust the feet one at a time until the cabinets are perfectly flat and level, and there is no messing around with shims.

In my kitchen, from the highest to lowest spot on the floor along one run of cabinets, the difference was almost 3/4". To try to stack up shims that high would have been a nightmare, and then I would have had to figure out how to disguise the fact that the end of the run of cabinets was perched 3/4" off the floor. But with the leg levellers it was dead easy.

I do agree with stacyneil that a laser level would have been a good thing. Within the three different runs of cabinets in my kitchen the cabinets, are all perfectly flat and level, but from one run to another, they are out of level by over 1/2 inch. But that's one of those things that I'll be the only person who evers knows or notices.

• evilbunnie
    14 years ago

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time to photograph the process and provide this detailed description. Posts like this are why I keep coming back to Gardenweb. Thanks so much, and congratulations, your kitchen is going to be fantastic, with that much planning and care involved. Good luck!

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

The laser level is good. You can also use a water level. It works in a similar way. It is essentually a container with a long clear tube attached to the bottom. Fill it with water and set it to the location you want as a reference. Then take the clear tube around and mark locations on the wall. The top of the water in the container will be the level at which the water will rise in the tube. This is what we used before cheap lasers.

Also with cabinets, the first one is the most critical. Usually this is in a corner.

Removing (and labeling) the doors and drawers keeps them save and makes it easier to grab and move the cabinets.

The jacks are an interesting idea. doing my mom's house, we used scrap 2x4 braces screwed together in a 'T'. Then we used a 'fine adjustment' hammer on the brace to get it in the correct position.

Your solution for the fridge panel is pretty good.

• svwillow1
    14 years ago

Another "trick" with the uppers. You can leave about an 1/8" gap between the ceiling and the cabinet or crown, and it will never be seen from the below. This will give you a bit of leeway when trying to level them.

On the base cabinets, we had a floor that was over a 1/2" out of level. I used 3/8" birch plywood, glued to the floor, then shimmed as needed. Our cabinets came with strips of cherry plywood to cover the toe kick. We set this tight against the finished floor leaving the gap at the top. This also can't be seen.