Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Can this antique sink be rehabbed?

greenhaven
9 years ago

I am seriously considering getting this sink, IF IF IF it can be refinished. It is enamelled steel, and very rusty:

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage farmhouse sink

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

There is no place left in America that reporcelainizes sinks. The epoxy paint treatment that passes for "refinishing" is no where near durable enough to plan your kitchen around that sink. Even when there were a couple of places that still did this, it was so not cheap, and shipping cast iron safely wasn't either.

Buy something new.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Great sink! But sadly, I'm not sure it's salvageable.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

We "re-enameled" a cast iron bathtub because the logistics of getting it out and a new one in our very old last home would have made it expensive and messy. If they can do it, it will only last for about three years. And this is from the guy who was re-enameling it for me. My own experience was that it started to wear off at about 1.5 years, and ours wasn't even close to as damaged as that sink, it had just worn down after 80+ years of use. I wish that they could refinish them with the same quality of enamel that was originally there, but it seems like that doesn't happen unless there is some very specialty shop that would cost you more than just getting a reproduction made.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, crap. I was considering this for a bathroom vanity top, but it still doesn't sound do-able.

Thanks for your input, all, invaluable as always!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Yes, it can be done and is being done by this company. I drooled over the photos of vintage sinks he's redone. Expensive, to be sure, so it depends on how much you love the sink! I would not give up, though, until I researched resurfacing. Not all are crap; some are beautiful and will last for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-enameling sinks

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool, tomatofreak! Not cost-efficient enough to work for me, but it is good to know someone is doing it.

When we moved into our 1947 bungalow in 2006 the original and custom iron railings were in terrible shape, paint-wise. I found a company who would sandblast them and re-powdercoat them and they turned out brilliantly! It wasn't cheap but it was not over-the-top expensive, either. Definitely worth it for period pieces that came with the original build.

So, would a powdercoat finish work for antique sinks? Or is there an issue with toxicity?

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Greenhaven we have one on a metal cabinet sitting in our scary old basement. The poor metal cabinet is completely rusted out, but the sink and counter looks brand new. I'm hoping to use it somewhere when we build our little house. I think its been down there for at least 50 years when the current kitchen was put on. The mice seem to like it.

• User
    9 years ago

That article is from 2011, and the website hasn't been updated since 06. I know Marcolo investigated this thouroughly about 18 months ago and stated that no one was in business anymore to be able to have vintage sinks done. I will have to call tomorrow and find out if he's still in business, but I suspect not. Ther's a powdercoating business that will do sinks, but they won't guarantee them past a year.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Apparently, they are still in business, though I'd never be able to use them. Too far and too expensive. This FB site is lots of fun to view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, all!

IowaCommute, on a sidenote my DIL wanted me to ask for specifics on materials for polishing down their rough granite edge. Would you be interested in emailing me?