Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen lighting plan: keep central flush mount?

Posted by SparklingWater (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:49

Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all.

XP to lighting forum:
As our work commences soon, I wish to ask for your feedback on our kitchen lighting plan. The current plan is to remove a centered ceiling kitchen light and two eat-in pantry ceiling lights. All three ceiling lights align down the two rooms and offer diffuse task and path lighting.
Many GC's had advised replacing ceiling lights to both modernize the look of the remodel with the times as well as introduce for the first time recessed lighting: eight 4" recessed lights total: 3 along the sink-range run, 2 over the L wall cabinets at counter edge ( prior to the refrigerator itself), and 3 in the vicinity of the tall pantry cab (1) and at counter edge below glass cabs across from the pantry cab(2).

The "layers of light" are recessed lights, in-glass cabinet lights (4), under-cabinet lights (8) and an open-style chandelier (not light boxing) over eating space in front of the sold east window.

I have some reservations about removing the centered kitchen light. I'm not wild about recessed cans and won't dedicate them at this time to LED light solely. I want diffusion of light from our ceilings to offer path light. I'm okay with recessed diffused light in the tall pantry cab/near glass uppers (beverage center) without their being flush ceiling light.

Do you think I should keep or not keep a centered kitchen light, either flush or semi-flush to ceiling, to offer yet another layer of light and even form of light (incandescent)? What would you do?

Thank you for your comments: there is some sense of urgency here that I resolve this one persistent question.

Kitchen and eat in pantry:
 photo 0512031135_zps3f7944a9.jpg

Sink-range side:
 photo 0512031141_zps212c3049.jpg

L corner wall (I apologize, but PB will not orient it correctly today in spite of trying)
 photo 0512031142_zps43648c2c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen lighting plan: keep central flush mount?

In your case I do not think I would keep a central fixture in the kitchen proper, and just have recessed in the kitchen ceiling and the chandelier in the other space.

o

I don't see where you could put it without crowding the ceiling and where it would make sense. I would not do it.

If you really wanted one, then don't put recessed lighting in the pantry area and put one there. If you do that then make sure it is in the same family as the chandelier so that there is a sense of cohesiveness in the space.

o

Thank you for your kind responses. Lighting is my weakest area so I'm fine with the GC and yourself who suggest using recessed ceiling lights as overhead. I do understand a ceiling at 8'6" often yields a sense of being cramped above when hanging ceiling lights are used. Another decision made. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here