Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Does this look as bad as I think it does?

TxMarti
10 years ago

Photo taken with my phone but the colors are close to actual. The tile is a bit darker than my granite counters. They are both Kashmir Gold, but the gray in the tile is much darker than my counters and more prominent.

I wanted to use a mosaic of Kashmir Gold tile over the stove top so I wouldn't have to clean tons of grout lines and surround it with a smaller tile (which I haven't yet found). But I think I made an $80 mistake buying this box of granite tile.

What do you think? Is there a way to make it look good, or should I stop before I really make a mess?

btw, the stove top will be replaced with a solid color.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, May 28, 13 at 12:50

Comments (17)

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I agree with you that it doesn't look good. The two Kashmir Golds might as well be different granites given how poorly they work with each other. I don't have any brilliant suggestions, except that I would expect you to be able to return the tile unless you've broken or cut the tile.

• drbeanie2000
    10 years ago

On my screen, I'd have to say YES. Sorry.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

They do not complement each other.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Stop now. They just don't work together. And, given your comments, I suspect you know that.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

long story but no, I can't take them back, or it would be more trouble than it's worth.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but that looks bad. Really bad. They are too similar and yet too different to work together. Your instincts are correct.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Sorry, but they look like totally different tones...the counter looks peachy while the other tile looks brown...not a good match. Donate the tile the Habitat for Humanity.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Donate it --- and take a tax break on it.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

yea... sorry. But don't beat yourself up about wasted money. We've all made mistakes that cost us whether kitchen related or otherwise.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Another vote for stop now.
    I actually love the granite tile, but it just doesn't go with the countertop - bummer. Craigslist?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I vote no. It does not look good together. Look at it this way, it's only 80 bucks.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

I vote no. I just made the same mistake with a rug for the new kitchen table. It should have looked good. It should have. But after staring at it for weeks, I must face the fact that it is just off somehow. So I'm cutting my losses and donating the rug to charity, still in its wrapper. I waited past my 30 day return period agonizing over it. Save yourself. Don't be me. Move on. ;-)

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I think you will look at it every day and be disappointed if you installed it. I would definitely think about finding an alternate and saying to yourself, "That was $80 that I will have to just let go of" and remind yourself that as mistakes go, that's not too bad of a $ mistake. I have definitely made worse!!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the look I wanted - with the granite tile surrounded by smaller, and lighter tile. When dh got home, I had him hold one piece in the middle of the space, on diagonal, and it's not as bad as it is placed against the counter and sitting straight. But, not the match I hoped for either.

{{!gwi}}

• Vertise
    10 years ago

If you have to ask ... you're not lovin' it.

(Looks really bad!!)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Your inspiration picture is an exact match, which is why it works.
    I think you know the right answer here. Sorry. I have made mistakes that I have had to live with, and don't want you to do the same thing.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've already made some mistakes I have to live with - don't want to add to them. If I can't sell them on CL, I'll keep them and tile a table or something.