Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eriepatch

Finished kitchen...Under 20K...Matches my dog...what thread to us

eriepatch
11 years ago

We are finally finished other than a couple of pendant lights over the bar area and deciding whether to paint

the wood on the outside of the bar white. Some may remember, we downsized last fall from 3500 sq ft to 1850 sq ft to simplify our lives when DH retired (Dec 22) so we had a lot of changes to get used to. I am adapting to everything pretty well but sure do miss my walk in pantry. :(

DH painted the cabinets (BM Mayonaise)

These pictures when applicable show the before we moved in and after. My granite (named Scotch) isn't for everyone but I totally LOVE it. I love that it's busy and doesn't show anything. Also love having the bar lowered and the single sink so I have more counter space. It's not a fancy huge kitchen (only 11 x 12) but it works well for the 2 of us. Thanks to everyone that helped and for all of the pictures that helped me make decisions.

Comments (24)

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Looks like you had "good bones" to work with! Great job!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really beautiful!
    It's amazing how things look so different, isn't it?

And I like your granite, too!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Great improvement. The white cabs make it all seem much more open and much, much larger. Congratulations on a great rehab.

Nice to have such a good ''inspiration piece'' as your lovely little schnauzer.

Sandra

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! And I really like your granite too. I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I'll give you mine anyway- I'd paint the wood on the bar wall. It would tie in nicely with your white mantle. Whatever you decide, it a great space!

• rosie
    11 years ago

Wow! I really like what you've made of it, and I also really like your granite in there. It has so much more sparkle and energy. I can see why you'd miss your walk-in pantry, though. Do you have a pantry closet elsewhere?

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I am always so amazed at the transformation of painted cabinets - so glad you transformed instead of tossing!. You granite is beautiful - not too busy!
    Doggie is cute also.

Do you like your double-oven free standing range? I think that is what I want...what brand is it?

I would paint the bar also. That might be one of the areas where you would want to topcoat with poly to prevent feet from wearing the paint.

Nice job!
    Tuesday

• library_girl
    11 years ago

What a difference. I'm partial to painted cabinets anyway, but your kitchen looks bigger and brighter with the white cabinets. And I think your granite is lovely!

I had a range like yours and we used the smaller oven about 90% of the time. It was super nice to pre-heat so quickly and not heat up the entire kitchen like the full size oven would - Just be careful to keep your racks adjusted for whatever you're baking - top vs. bottom makes a huge difference when your oven is so small!

Enjoy the new kitchen!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Beautiful job. What paint did you use? I hope you enjoy your new kitchen.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Great job! It looks so nice. You know I love a white kitchen.

The granite is really pretty too!

Enjoy!!!

• eriepatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone

Funny but living with it, the wood under the bar didn't bother me,
    but after seeing the pictures it's been bugging me all day. HA
    When I can bear to get the paint back out we'll do that.
    Tuesday_2008, yes I love my range. Couldn't fit a slide-in
    into that space so had to get free standing.
    I have only used the bottom oven twice and that was for family dinners.
    The top one preheats in such a short time and I have cooked cakes, pies and other things and I can't tell that they didn't do as well as in a regular oven. Mine is a GE.

Everyone here is so nice and helpful and I love seeing what everyone has done.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful job! It's so much brighter and seems like a happy kitchen to cook in with your sweet puppy! Love your granite and the BS looks perfect. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Lovely job!! The white cabinets look great and I really like your granite -- and yes it matches your cutie pie dog!!! Enjoy your new kitchen for many years to come!!!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow is that really the same kitchen?! Great paint job! It looks completely different. Love the pooch. So true about matching the kitchen now too. He always matched the tile and grout, but now the rest of the kitchen (white cabs and stainless appliances) isn't clashing with him, lol.

Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Beautiful and functional. Cozy and warm too. Welcome home!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love your unique layout, the granite is beautiful, and WTG on matching your dog!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! I just did mine for a budget similar to yours and I think you really got a lot for your money. Way to go!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Love what you have done. You've had a big change in your life and I am loving how you are diving right in there and having fun with it. I love your new kitchen, it looks absolutely lovely. Your granite is a bit similar to mine but mine is a little more ivory. It reminds me of Juperana Tier, also. I love it. Looks great with all your other choices. Love you little doggie too. So sweet! Good match : )

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Your finishes, textures, colors and more are spot on. That granite is drop dead gorgeous!!! Congratulations on a job well done.

• eriepatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You people are all so kind. I really am loving it. I have to feel the granite every day. haha

• Liz
    11 years ago

Congrats! Looks beautiful!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh, I LOVE it! So pretty and bright! And it matches your dog, to boot! I love it when a plan comes together! ;^)

Congrats and ENJOY!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Great job!!!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Great job! In your old kitchen, the counters were too purplish for the cabinets, which made it so jarring. Yet, it wasn't a bad layout at heart. Your changes really modernized it. Especially love your granite--it may not be for everyone but definitely count me in as a fan!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm so amazed at all the talented people in this forum.

Your kitchen is a perfect example...to see what isn't and to make it so!

Fabulous transformation...I esp love the colors of the granite with the backsplash. Really ties in well.

Great job! You should be proud.